PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a software

Neil4Speed
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Guys,

So, I am in a geophysical seismic special projects class and trying to figure out the best way to approach this problem I have. Its more of a computer/data management problem than anything.

Currently, I have been taking down the magnitude of the largest seismic activity which had occurred in different spots around the world, which has automatically been updating into an excel spreadsheet and just making a massive table for each day with the vibration at each minute for about 28 places around the world.

Now as you can imagine, pretty decent amount of information, and I want to be able to learn from it. Excel is pretty medium/bad for actual big time data calculation and manipulation, even with a decent dual core it takes forever to calculate out.

I want to be able to do things like, test correlations, see if certain areas get activity mostly in the morning/evening.

It would be nice if the software could understand daily data etc.

Any suggestions on a good software for statistcal analysis like this? I have experimented a bit with Stata, but seems a bit primitive, I was wondering if Matlab is my only possible solution. It seems like there are others like SAS, but its kind of important for me to have something which is easier to use. I am great with computer usage, but poor at programming.

Kind of a vague question I know, but any direction would be appreciated.

97'Scort
03-04-2010, 02:29 AM
If you're working with a large amount of data, I'd use a database program like Access to store the data. Then you can write some basic software to retreive desired data to Excel or perform calculations for you.

That would be the best long-term solution. People do crazy stuff with Matlab though, so it might be able to help as well.