PDA

View Full Version : Review: Mucho Burrito (130th) - The REAL Review!

Tomaz
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
As some of you might remember, there was a review posted reviewing Mucho Burrito using one of the owner's beyond account.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/285420/muco-burrito-south-trail-crossing-on-130-ave-se/

TomcoPDR wanted to investigate this resuraunt himself, and I was hungry.

The place:

Anyone who has ever been to the strip malls on 130th knows that moving around the parking lot and finding a place to park is just a big pain in the ass. Lucky enough for me, I found a spot close by without too much headache. Once you enter, your eyes are greeted by typical Mexican colours in a very spacious environment. There is salsa music playing just loud enough to know it's there without being annoying. The layout is very similar to subway. If you don't really know what you want, the staff are there to guide you though your choices.

The Staff:

Service is not instantaneous (which does not bother me, but might bother some), but it sure is welcoming and friendly. I am not a big burrito eater, so I was guided though what ingredients I could combine. Really helpful for a first-time go-er!

It was good to see one of the owners working the counter. I like knowing that managment gets involved with the store and can work beside the rest of the staff! He instantly connected with us making sure we got everything we wanted. Even joked around when I made a smart-ass comment about Mountain Dew. He actually seemed interested and was not distantly working (like what you normally find in fast-food joints). Overall, I am impressed with the staff service and morale.

The Food:

Today, I ordered a "medium" burrito on whole wheat, with rice, shredded beef,assorted veggies, mild salsa (I hate spice), and Guacamole with sour cream. I made my meal a combo adding tortilla chips with salsa, and a drink.

I am a big boy (6'2" @ 230lbs) and normally can handle large amounts of food. Believe it or not, the medium burrito filled me up perfectly! The ingredients used tasted very fresh, perfectly balanced, and complimented each other. I was very impressed!

The tortilla chips are worth mentioning as they tasted fresh too! They were definitly not your typical Tostito's. Lightly seasoned, and seemed like they could have possibly been made in-house!

The meal came out to $12.00 each which, considering the amount of food, is not unreasonable.

Results:

I was very satisfied with my food and the staff were pleasant to deal with. Definitely going back!

Place: 3/5
Food: 4.5/5
Staff: 4/5

Overall: 4/5

:thumbsup:

PS: Thanks for lunch!:bigpimp:

Tomaz
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks A790!

A790
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh SNAP. Sounds like somewhere to check out!

alloroc
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
I take my kid there all the time - and the owner seems to be always there and always takes time out to say hi!

livinlarge89
03-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't want to start another thread for this place but I wanted to say that I've been to the Shawnessy location (by in between Zellers and CT) a few times in the past couple of weeks, and I agree that the service and food are both great.

The first time I went i was guided through all the choices too, and the staff are definitely friendly. Portions are huge, IMO, for the price and to me a medium burrito is difficult to finish all at once, for some perspective a foot long sub is normally not a problem for me. The tacos were also pretty good but I personally like the burritos more so far, more filling and I like their rice and the beans they have. +1 for the chips too, my friend got some and couldn't finish with his meal so I got to try some of those, very good, and he was actually asking me if I had any idea if they made them in house (I don't have a clue). All of the other ingredients seem fresh (considering it's basically fast food) and I've seen them fry up the green peppers on the stove and put them directly into my burrito. It was a coincidence but definitely nice.

I noticed is that a few times I've seen them accidentally tear a really loaded up burrito, and even when it didn't look too significant they heat up another shell and transfer all the stuff into the new one, and add some more sauce without asking.

Definitely found it really surprising that they have a liquor license and sell corona and dos equis from what I've seen, 3.99 a bottle which seems pretty decent considering the place, although I cant picture myself ordering a beer with what is basically fast food. It's probably my new favorite place in the area for some relatively quick food, certainly better than the usual subway or mcdonalds, and arguably better than my favorite place in the vicinity, donair grill up in bridlewood by sobes. I love their donairs and the owners are cool but honestly the burritos are really good, more filling, slightly closer to my house, and cheaper even with a combo than a single donair (of comparable size) before even getting a drink.

I just thought I'd add this about the Shawnessy location since the other review was for 130th in case anybody was curious if this one was any good. I haven't been to 130th location but I'm sure I will if I'm ever in the area looking for a quick meal, glad to hear the quality is apparently consistent between locations too.

Edit: I guess I'll toss in some numbers

Place: 4.5/5, no lack of parking spaces in that lot
Food: 4.5/5, considering that it's basically fast food, or like Kenny Rogers Roasters on Seinfeld, "good food, fast"
Value: 4/5, a little more expensive than say, going to subway for a foot long, but only by a buck or two
Staff: 5/5

Overall: 4.5/5

nj2Type-S
03-17-2010, 12:58 AM
^i agree with you, livinlarge89. i love that donair grill place, too! :drool:

TomcoPDR
03-17-2010, 01:47 AM
You forgot to say we got the free "Beyond" chips

SJW
03-17-2010, 06:55 AM
The salsa at that place is amongst the best i've ever tasted.

Kritafo
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
We finally made it there on Saturday, 4 of us I had the salad bowl, DD had a quesadilla , DS had burrito as did the husband.

All lovely and fresh, 2 of us got the hot sauce which was nice, they used lots of cilantro and they have some great mango soda.

Chips and salsa were so good the kids bought some to bring home and I was more than happy to have a Corona. No wait time, service was terrific, they even let the kids sample the chizoro sausage, chicken and beef.

nonlinear
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
no offense tomaz, but i'm not sure why this necessitates ANOTHER thread... this only makes things disorganized. anyhow, there are several other reviews (including a pictoral account ahah) in this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=285420&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1