PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians out there?

LUDELVR
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm looking to have some work done on my townhouse and after having a company send out a guy and seeing the bill, I'd much rather pay someone privately so if you're certified and want to make some cash on the side, let me know and we can set something up!

Cheers

pyro
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
What kind of electrical did u need done?

LUDELVR
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm looking to have a light fixture placed in my living room and then a track light installed with movable lamps.

Only thing is that there is no fixture there so a hole will have to be cut and wiring run to a switch. On top of that, a metal box placed in the hole.

I was quoted about 250 bux for the company to do it, but if I could get it done for cheaper....

Nigel Mansell
03-04-2010, 03:15 AM
250 is a bargain, I'd like to know what company quoted you that price. I would have quoted you 500 minimum, without even looking at it. It is a major pain in the ass to get a string down to the switchbank, then you have to cut out the drywall and install a new switch, new cover plate, totally a major pain.

Supa Dexta
03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
What a troll^ Every price that is quoted on here, you say you would charge twice that.. You sound like a fucking rip off to me.

Nigel Mansell
03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, regardless, $250 is more than a reasonable quote for that job, you won't find someone to do it for less than 200.

bignerd
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I was going to say it was a more than reasonable price also to have a box put in. Husband is a master electrician and although I don't think he would charge $500 to do that $250 sounds about right. Don't think you will find it for much cheaper unless you get a first year to do it for you...

Is there a second floor above the living room (2 story home or is the attic above the living room?) If your house is two story that is a good price.

GTi-RS
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
danno on here is Journyman

LUDELVR
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, there's a second floor upstairs and no attic. The guy who quoted me also said that if there was an attic upstairs it'd be easier. Oh well, in any case, he did say that the toilet area that is on the other side of the wall where the switch is located could be used and instead of drilling a hole in the wall and ceiling for the wire, he could go through there seeing that we are going to renovate the toilet area anyway.

Does this make sense? :dunno:

masoncgy
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
$250 is a good deal if there is no attic access and all the wiring is going to be fished through the walls, etc.

That's quite a job.

FLARE
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Thats a big job... $250 is a great price.

mobius
03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Just saying what has already been said, that is a decent price for that work. Not a particularly easy job to do without making a mess of the drywall to fish the wire, and that is if there are no 'snags' that pop up.

HuMz
03-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Im a Journeyman Electrician and would be willing to do it as well but $200 would probably be the cheapest I'd do it, which company gave you the quote thats a great price.

HuMz
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Yeah, there's a second floor upstairs and no attic. The guy who quoted me also said that if there was an attic upstairs it'd be easier. Oh well, in any case, he did say that the toilet area that is on the other side of the wall where the switch is located could be used and instead of drilling a hole in the wall and ceiling for the wire, he could go through there seeing that we are going to renovate the toilet area anyway.

Does this make sense? :dunno:

Theres a washroom on the otherside of the wall that you plan on renovating anyway? How far is the light from the switch? From how it sounds you would still need a hole cut in the drywall near the ceiling to get the wire fished from the ceiling down to the switch. Theres no way you'd be able to fish a wire from a centre of a room down to a new switch without having a hole cut where the ceiling and wall meet.

LUDELVR
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Job is done and say thanks to Danno for coming out! Fantastic work and a fantastic guy! Quick, efficient and affable! Was 100% in his work and I highlly recommend him to anyone who is doing eletrical renos to his or her house!

Still feel bad that he too didn't want my beer...oh and sorry for the onslaught of making your feel depressed mate! :banghead: :devil: :rofl:

Cheers again for the exellent work Danno!:thumbsup: