PDA

View Full Version : getting right type of rims

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
hi guys.
i actually wanted to go shop for the rims for my car.
i wanted to know, what should you keep in mind when buying rims.
i mean like when you buy rims do you have to buy the tires Separately or what.
like the wheels get really thin after getting the rims, those thin tires are new ones i guess.
so lets say if i get 19' rims, and the tires will automatically get really thin, so for that do i have to buy those thin tires separately and the rims Separately??
please let me know.
any help will be appreciated.
thanks

three.eighteen.
12-02-2003, 11:03 AM
most places provide rims/rubber packages

rc2002
12-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Rims and tires are bought seperately but if you're buying brand new you can usually buy them both from the same place. If you're going 19" then be prepared to pay a LOT for rubber. As a general rule of thumb, the bigger the rim the more expensive the tire.

The reason why the tires get "thinner" is because your tire+rim size always stays the same. So if your rim gets bigger, your tire has to get smaller.

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 11:10 AM
o..ic what you guys mean.
what are your suggestions on buying rims.
what kind or size or rims should i buy for my 2003 Mustang Cobra...its black in color if that helps.
and i dont want to spend whole lot of money on those. because i am also buying a good system.
plz let me know.
thanks

1badPT
12-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Well if you're going to a shop, make sure you tell them what you drive and they should help you from there.

When getting wheels, you have to make sure you get the right bolt pattern for your car (most cars are either 4x100 5x100 or 5x114.3). You also need the right offset as well (most FWD cars are between +30 and +40 - i dunno for RWD but I know most are negative offsets.

The tires you put on should always have the same outer diameter as your stock tires so your speedo stays accurate. That means the larger your wheel is, the less tire you have between the rim and the road. If you are planning to drive on them daily, you should keep the wheel under 70% of your overall tire diameter (IE for 25" tires, go with 17's or less). The larger your wheel is the more firmer the ride is, and if you go over 70%, you're going to feel every little crack in the pavement - plus you run the risk of damaging the rim if you hit a pot hole.

On the other hand, if you plan to swap them on for racing/shows/etc dial the wheels right out to the edge of your tire :thumbsup:

Only other consideration is weight - with a Mustang you probably don't have to worry too much anyways, but in general the more weight you put on in tires/rims, the more you're gonna rob you car of its ability to accelerate/slow down.

carmex
12-02-2003, 02:15 PM
How do you like the cobra?

Pretty sick car if you ask me.

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by carmex
How do you like the cobra?

Pretty sick car if you ask me.

yea its pretty good.
i wanted a sports car and convertible.
normal mustangs are way to common.
thats why i considered the cobra and its pretty good on horsepower.
so its way better than other mustangs and is pretty good.

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Well if you're going to a shop, make sure you tell them what you drive and they should help you from there.

When getting wheels, you have to make sure you get the right bolt pattern for your car (most cars are either 4x100 5x100 or 5x114.3). You also need the right offset as well (most FWD cars are between +30 and +40 - i dunno for RWD but I know most are negative offsets.

The tires you put on should always have the same outer diameter as your stock tires so your speedo stays accurate. That means the larger your wheel is, the less tire you have between the rim and the road. If you are planning to drive on them daily, you should keep the wheel under 70% of your overall tire diameter (IE for 25" tires, go with 17's or less). The larger your wheel is the more firmer the ride is, and if you go over 70%, you're going to feel every little crack in the pavement - plus you run the risk of damaging the rim if you hit a pot hole.

On the other hand, if you plan to swap them on for racing/shows/etc dial the wheels right out to the edge of your tire :thumbsup:

Only other consideration is weight - with a Mustang you probably don't have to worry too much anyways, but in general the more weight you put on in tires/rims, the more you're gonna rob you car of its ability to accelerate/slow down.

o ic...what you mean.
so basically you are saying that i should look for around 17" rims or something like that?
thats a quite a lot of information.
thanks for the help.;) ;)

1badPT
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
17's are good for a 25" tire. I don't know whats on your car though. Post the size from the sidewall and I can tell you.

It will look like P195/65R15. Most cars do have 25" tires though.

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 02:56 PM
how do i find the size from the sidewall.
or watever.

1badPT
12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
It will be a series of numbers beginning with P and there will be an R just before the last 2 digits.
Like mine are P195/65R15.

P (means passenger car) 195 (tire width in mm) / 65 (the percentage of the tire's width that makes up the sidwall section) R 15 (the diameter of the hole that the wheel will sit in in inches).

You get the tire height by adding the wheel size (in this case 15 inches) then adding the two sidewall sections(essentially from rim to the top edge of the tire, and rim to the bottom edge of the tire). We take the tire width in this case (195 mm's) and the aspect ratio (65%) and get 195mm x 0.65 x 2 = 254 mm. If we convert the mm to inches we get 254 mm / 10 (to cm's) / 2.54 (to inches) = 10 inches.

15 inches of wheel plus 10 inches of sidewall = 25".

Seriously, I think you should go to one of the shops and talk with them. They'll let you know which wheels will fit and they'll figure out what rubber will give you your stock tire height.

redbaron303
12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Just one thing from me...

Do not Skimp or Sacrifice tire quality so you can get a nicer larger rim....

I would deffinatly spend really good money on the rubber, it's waht keeps you "glued"to the road and if you get crappy tires you may not be pleased w/ the performance.

GTS Jeff
12-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by fast_cars
how do i find the size from the sidewall.
or watever. yo fast_cars, whats up man? it sounds like u got a sick ride. post up a pic so we can see and help u find some good rims.

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
for sure man...
i will post some pics soon..
i am going to get a digital camera soon.
so when i get them i will put them on.
'
;) ;)

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
this is exactly how my mustang is.
this aint my mustang though. i got this picture from the internet of the similar model and everything.
i will put mine as soon as i get the camera.
thanks

GTS Jeff
12-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by fast_cars
this is exactly how my mustang is.
this aint my mustang though. i got this picture from the internet of the similar model and everything.
i will put mine as soon as i get the camera.
thanks yea or maybe u never will, cuz u dont own one in the first place anyway. why do u keep coming back, sikh_n_destroy?

hjr
12-03-2003, 12:50 AM
if youz gots a cobra, why would you need to upgrade the wheels and tire package? i understand its pretty good from the get go.

Also, you have a cobra, make sure you dont skimp on tires. if you can drop that kinda money on a car, you can afford some good tires....

1badPT
12-03-2003, 12:50 AM
Heh, now him not knowing his tire sizing makes sense - if he doesn't have a set of tires to check in the first place :nut:

LOL and I was thinking how unfair it was he had a mustang cobra and didn't know jack about tires.

szw
12-03-2003, 01:04 AM
he just has to learn
to stop hitting
the enter button
so much

tats all:repost:

FiveFreshFish
12-03-2003, 01:08 AM
29 posts per day? http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/eek.gif