PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Deciding on a job

PepsiCola
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was in a pretty bad position where i wasnt able to find a job after graduation. last week i got an offer
Today i received a call at another o&g company.
I prefer the second company personally
any help would help!

Unknown303
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Pick the job that you prefer. Unless you tell us what companies they are we can't really provide any better advice.

This is all up to you now.

Super_Geo
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Unless you tell us what companies they are we can't really provide any better advice.

Nigel Mansell
03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Pick whichever pays more, is less of a commute, etc. Don't worry for a second about turning down the job that you already accepted. It is a big world out there, they'll just hire someone else and forget your name five seconds later.

We don't know anything else so without more details we can't give you any better advice.

Graham_A_M
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
You really need to do your due dillegence with these companies. I'd talk with the employees (and a good few of them) explain your situation and pick their brain. Im sure they'd be happy to give you an honest opinion, of which is entirely more valuable then anything we could offer.

PepsiCola
03-04-2010, 06:36 PM
:confused:

dandia89
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
do you know anything about either companies? i can't see how you expect us to determine which one is suited for YOUR needs

HondaKid
03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by PepsiCola
The company i got an interview tomorrow for is called Plains MIdtream...
As their Crude oil accountant, however, i want to know if they pay well and whats thr growth oppurtunity!
Im scared to be stuck doing the same thing at a big O&G without any movement of growth....

Seems like a valid point, and one I would bring up in the interview. When they ask if you have any questions, only an idiot says "No". You need to ask a few questions to show interest if nothing else, so ask during the interview as the questions are valid and very important to a new employee.

chancepedance
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I dont know much about Plains Midstream... I just know they are o&g ...but i was hoping someone here would hve some know how about the company and the type of benefits and perks offered...

HondaKid
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Beyond this, unless you find someone who works there you are going to find out the perks in the interview. Nice to have a scoop on a company and I would mention you Googled and found as much out as possible on the company, it shows you are serious about a career with them.

http://www.plainsmidstream.com/careers.html

Found this as well (Googled PLAINS MIDSTREAM PERKS):

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-217375.html

chancepedance
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
Beyond this, unless you find someone who works there you are going to find out the perks in the interview. Nice to have a scoop on a company and I would mention you Googled and found as much out as possible on the company, it shows you are serious about a career with them.

http://www.plainsmidstream.com/careers.html

Found this as well (Googled PLAINS MIDSTREAM PERKS):

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-217375.html

Amysicle
03-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Did anyone else notice it was PepsiCola being offered a job with these guys and then near the end it was chancepedance responding to the posts...? And chancepedance already has another thread about Savanna Energy?

Coinkydink or just two accounts going in case one gets banned?

Good luck with the interviews though!

HondaKid
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Did anyone else notice it was PepsiCola being offered a job with these guys and then near the end it was chancepedance responding to the posts...? And chancepedance already has another thread about Savanna Energy?

Coinkydink or just two accounts going in case one gets banned?

Good luck with the interviews though!

I too noticed that, but did not want to get all CSI Calgary on his ass. You have not really been a solid member of Beyond unless you have been banned, like getting a new email address and user name is a tough task. Odd two user names though... he has his reasons...and heading into the oil biz being a slippery eel is a good start.

leftwing
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by chancepedance

I dont know anything about Plains Midstream... I just know they are o&g ...but i was hoping someone here would hve some know how about the company and the type of benefits and perks offered... as for the type of position... i dont know what i want cz i just graduated... im still finding my area of interest... i enjoy accounting and decision making and problem solving but thats just basic... as for the meat an potatoes of accouting ... im still to figure that out... i have no experience as a crude oil accountant or financial accounting... both these positions are taking in for starting off a career....

I was hoping to gain some inside scoop on plains midstream...

how did you recieve two interview/job offers at oil and gas companies as a junior accountant, with no experience in accounting?

chancepedance
03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaKid

I too noticed that, but did not want to get all CSI Calgary on his ass. You have not really been a solid member of Beyond unless you have been banned, like getting a new email address and user name is a tough task. Odd two user names though... he has his reasons...and heading into the oil biz being a slippery eel is a good start. [/QUOT

:dunno:

chancepedance
03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
:dunno:

Mys73ri0
03-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

how did you recieve two interview/job offers at oil and gas companies as a junior accountant, with no experience in accounting?

Actually he has a economics degree preparing to write the CMA entrance exam.

Also, he's already accepted the job offer from the first company which he hasn't named. He'll probably make some excuse about how he has to delay the start date so he can entertain the interview from Plains Midstream. With that sort of behavior, I'm sure he'll burn himself pretty quick.

CookieMonster
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by PepsiCola
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was in a pretty bad position where i wasnt able to find a job after graduation. last week i got an offer
Today i received a call at another o&g company.
I prefer the second company personally
any help would help!

So did you end up picking a job?

Mx6er
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to give my two cents about Plains.

I currently work at Plains Midstream as a summer intern (and did last summer as well). The company is great if your just getting into the industry as the average age is much lower than the industry average (a lot of employees in their 20's and early thirties). As far as work goes, there is definitely a "work hard, play hard" attitude among employees. Much is expected of you, but you will be rewarded for good work (full time employees get quarterly bonuses if im correct, based on work).

As far as advancement goes, there is great opportunity to move up quick as the business is growing very fast. Plains is constantly looking to expand its business with acquisitions etc. This summer I am working in Crude Oil Business Development (which is the fastest growing department by far). It should be interesting to see how many new faces/ employees have been hired since last summer.

Its a great company to work for, and the employees are treated respectfully (stampede party is notorious for being one of the best in the industry ;p )

If you ahve any more questions please feel free to PM me.

gqmw
03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
^ How hard is it to get into this company? As well are they still hiring for summer students? What type of students are they mainly hiring?

Thanks in advance.

Mx6er
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
^ How hard is it to get into this company? As well are they still hiring for summer students? What type of students are they mainly hiring?

Thanks in advance.

I had a connection at plains before I got in last year. They have two programs (most of these positions are filled with family/friends of employees) :

1) summer students (more of an administrative role/casual summer work) roughly 7 - 10 positions

2) Interns: This program is designed to hire you full time after school is finished. You must be in your 1st or 2nd year of school to get into this program. Last year there were about 13 positions. The job roles take on more responsibility and simulates a real position.

As far as hiring goes, im pretty sure they are finished hiring for the summer/intern positions. your best bet is to apply in November or December because they have usually finished the hiring process around early February.

Hope that is useful.