PDA

View Full Version : East Indian Food

cancer man
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
The one we used to go to at Willow Park is now gone that was about 7 years ago.
My wife now has a craving for that food and i'am not that fond of those kinda spices but they had the best shrimp ever they were massive.I don't remember the name but any reccomendations would be great.

Tik-Tok
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
If you're looking to stay in the same area, Moti Mahal is really good (Midnapore Mall, or 14th street downtown). We also go to Surahi (beside Co-Op on Macleod).

D. Dub
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Namskar on 16th Avenuue NE is always good

JMaj7
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Don't go to Taj Mahal or whatever. They are sadly overpriced IMHO.

King Banana
03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
The best I've ever had was at the Lovely Sweets restaurant in westwinds NE.
It's got a nice dining area and the prices are very reasonable, and I've never been disappointed with the servings or taste.

I've also eaten at this place, pretty good food, but a bit more pricey

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=calgary&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.447838,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&ll=51.08417,-114.011586&spn=0.00957,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.084303,-114.011576&panoid=xqJzRbT2dqFyrh8fGAZPgA&cbp=12,299.47,,2,-2.66

Both excellent locations and I would highly recommend.

Yesterday I was craving indian food and instead of lovely I went to the kabob house on edmonton trail (persian)
and I regret my decision, portions were small, expensive and I ended up with this greek salad (wtf? from a persian place?) that was 3x heavier than the main meal and I would have rather had more of a meal and less of a salad.

Mibz
03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
+1 for Moti Mahal

powerslave
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
+1 for Moti Mahal, best restaurant ever.

ExtraSlow
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Namskar is great, and it's hard to find decent Indian in that part of town.

Boost Infested
03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Best Indian takeout Spice Hut... better than most indian restaurants.

Tik-Tok
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
Best Indian takeout Spice Hut... better than most indian restaurants.

In Hunterhorn? :barf:

R!zz0
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Half the Indian restaurant suck in Calgary.
The one i go to is Mirch Masala:: 3-3735 Rundlehorn Drive NE.

JAYMEZ
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Namskar on 16th Avenuue NE is always good

:werd: .. Good food , slow ass service , but whatever lol

j.lai
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Nawab in downtown across from the telus building is good (Iginla goes there all the time too)

Wrinkly
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Tandoori Hut in Kensington does a great lunch buffet for about $15 (haven't been for a while though).

Chandler_Racing
03-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
+1 for Moti Mahal, best restaurant ever.

Exactly.

r3ccOs
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Exactly.

I enjoy Moti -- but it is rather expensive IMO

I really enjoy the Clay Oven up off Barlow & 32NE... sure its a long hike from here, but I think they're one of the best in town.

There is another Sweetshop/resturant up in Saddleridge, where the brown people eat and its also tip top.

Danish
03-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

I enjoy Moti -- but it is rather expensive IMO

I really enjoy the Clay Oven up off Barlow & 32NE... sure its a long hike from here, but I think they're one of the best in town.

There is another Sweetshop/resturant up in Saddleridge, where the brown people eat and its also tip top.

Big fan of clay oven, excellent food and a nice small mom and pop style venue

lelalong
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If you're looking to stay in the same area, Moti Mahal is really good (Midnapore Mall, or 14th street downtown). We also go to Surahi (beside Co-Op on Macleod).

+1 for Surahi :thumbsup:

brownchild
03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Excellent food, fair price. Probably the best in the city.

nonlinear
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
moti mahal

D. Dub
03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

:werd: .. Good food , slow ass service , but whatever lol

We've always had good service at Namskar -- probably luck of the draw

HybridTheory
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Clay Oven was terrible the last time I went there. Waited 20 mins to order and then waited another 45 for food. We only ordered butter chicken, beef vindaloo and some naan. I was a fan of it before but not after this last experience.

I'll have to give mirch masala a try since that's 5 mins away from my house.

Gorilla
03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Check out this place on 130th Ave S.E.. I think it's called Karma and they make a mad beef vinadloo.

Tik-Tok
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Gorilla
mad beef vinadloo.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy vindaloo? Sounds intriguing...

masoncgy
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
+1 for Namskar... they have an awesome lunch buffet too!

rumeo
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Best place EVER!

core_upt
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm all about the Clay Oven for their lunch buffet. Best Naan, butter chicken and rice pudding ever!!

Nawab is good as well.

I think the biggest thing with indian food is that the spices that make up the 'same' dish vary so greatly it makes it very hard to compare. When you read reviews of places on-line, you see people comment that 'this place is not authentic - not like the food I had when I was in India. or not like what my parents/friends/neighbours/etc make". That doesn't make it a bad restaurant, just a different variation of the dish.
Try out a few places - see whose spices you like and go from there!

Tik-Tok
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
I'm all about the Clay Oven for their lunch buffet. Best Naan, butter chicken and rice pudding ever!!

+1 :thumbsup:

I go there when I'm at work, and remember to leave for lunch early... no way you're getting a seat between noon and 12:30.

dharminder
03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Check out this place on 130th Ave S.E.. I think it's called Karma and they make a mad beef vinadloo. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: great service great food

King Banana
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I ate at Namskar today, its twice the price of any other indian restaurant ive been to, and the food was pretty ok.

The naan was undercooked imo, too soft and doughy, I like it a bit more brown and crispy.

Butter chicken wasn't as spicy as I am used to, although this will be in my favor come tomorrow morning.

Rice was undercooked and dry.

Chicken was also a bit dry, but overall it was'ok'
Chicken pieces were actually too big, sounds odd, but I prefer smaller pieces that seem to be more moist than the larger ones.

It's only one encounter, but It seems like you pay all the extra money for the service and atmosphere of the place rather than the food quality.

One thing I will say, I ate at 630 and its 930 and I can't even think about food right now I'm so full, holy crap the portions were massive.
3 meals worth.

signature7
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I ate at Namskar not too long ago. It was my first real experience at East Indian food. I really enjoyed the buttered chicken; didn't find it too dry the Naan was crispy but the rice did seem dry. I also had another dish which included lamb and shrimp from what I could remember it wasn't the greatest.

The service was on the slower side, and they didn't come by often. Also, it was my first time there, and I didn't know what to expect but the smell and spices really stick to your clothing and hair so don't expect to go out afterward.

Pretty good food and experience though, I'd give Namskar another try in teh near future.

Edit:

I posted above that Namskar was the first EI restaurant I tried. That's actually a lie. I just remembered a long while ago when I was still in high school I tried Muraya (sp?) on Kensington, we did the lunch buffet and it was really good. Especially the rice pudding.

turbotrip
03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Mirchi > *

clem24
03-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

We've always had good service at Namskar -- probably luck of the draw

Man Indian food is like Pho... Everyone just seems to have their own preference. My opinion of Namskar is that it's overpriced shit for whitties. Mind you I am no EI but the only brown people I've ever seen in there are the ones serving. And I think Namskar tastes like shit, especially the butter chicken.

IMHO the best ones I've been to are Spice Hut in Huntington Plaza and Tandoori House on Edmonton Trail by Diner Deluxe. The former is awesome for take out cause I swear their portions are much larger. Get the fish pakora, the chicken tika masala, and the butter prawns. Beef madras also tops my list. Be prepared for some of the nastiest farts and shits you'll have for the next 2 days.

For the latter, eating in is a total ghetto experience. Not sure if it's changed but last time I ate there, they served you on disposable plates and utensils. In any case, ghetto usually = good food.

Prior to these, I'd say my fave was moti mahal on 14th st if still there...

My 2 cents.

adidas
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

Food. BUFFET. Rice Pudding.

Must go now!

Cant wait to try this place.

xxxazntigerxx
03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
do u have to make reservations at clay?

rated_R
03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I know a few good ones, Baba ka Dhaba is pretty ghetto but the food is good except for the fact that after you eat there when you are taking a shit for the new couple of days your asshole is gonna burn like someone installed a blow torch underneath your toilet seat, Wattan Restaurant on memorial I believe is owned now by the same owners but you can sit comfortably as there is more room.

But my favorite has to be Kabab Hut, it is by far the best I've been to and I've been to a few, it's right beside AutoDream. I don't know if they have buffets but their kababs and chicken curry are very good.

I used to go to this place on 12 ave and 8 st in downtown across from the safeway, it used to be called Lahore Tikka but now it's called Mirchi, they used to be good when they were ghetto (curry stained chairs, broken tables, flies everywhere, some men after eating, rubbing their oily hands on their beards, etc) but now they turn that shit into a nice looking place but the food isn't the same and the price is almost doubled.

civic_stylez
03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Check out this place on 130th Ave S.E.. I think it's called Karma and they make a mad beef vinadloo.

Im addicted to this place... had it last night. We had butter chicken, coconut chicken saphron rice, coconut rice and 2 orders of naan for 40$... service is great and food value is pretty good.:thumbsup:

Euro838
03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
What do people think about Royal India in Sunlife Plaza? I've only ever been there for their lunch buffet and I'm no EI food connoiseur so I have no idea if they good, authentic, etc. Food was okay as I still have to acquire a desire for EI food. When I was there though and mind you this is during lunch in white downtown Calgary so I would say there was a 1:10 EI vs other ratio. Servers obviously excluded :) Just wondering if people who wanted EI food would even consider going there.

I also don't like buffets as they are not always respresentative of what the true quality could be. I've been to enough chinese buffets to know that the items available are not representative of chinese cuisine. It's basically pigs to the slop! LOL!

GQBalla
03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
i like moti mahal on 17th.

another place i like is tifin right near china rose (recommended to me by EK 2.0, so it must be good :D)

VWEvo
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy vindaloo? Sounds intriguing...
This made me laugh for some reason

clem24
03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i like moti mahal on 17th.

another place i like is tifin right near china rose (recommended to me by EK 2.0, so it must be good :D)

This is the one with the roti machine correct? If so, I've been there once. The roti is kick ass awesome, but the curries are just so-so. They seemed to lack .. taste or something.