PDA

View Full Version : Question about abandoned car...

WhippWhapp
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
So here's the situation, a cousin from Ontario was living with me while attending UofC, goes back for a visit and gets thrown in jail.

As it turns out he is going to be in for at least 2 years, and because it was unexpected his car is sitting in a parking spot that I pay a monthly fee on. He is telling me to write a bill of sale out to myself, then sell the vehicle. I have the key, but no paperwork for the car... would I need the Ontario registration to get out of province inspection here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kloubek
03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
If it is out of province, then it would need an OP inspection if it has not been registered here before.

BUT, if the intention is to just sell it, perhaps you CAN make it someone else's issue. I dunno!

JimmyJones
03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
why is he in jail?

revelations
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
If you dont want the hassle of getting an OOP done you could sell the vehicle as not insurable in AB - or for parts only.

Somebody heading to Ontario might pick this up on the way.

Wait youre saying there isnt any paperwork inside the vehicle? ..... abandon it.

dannie
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
If you have a bill of sale, you are not required to have the registration from Ontario. Go in to the registry with the bill of sale and your drivers licence and get a request for out of province inspection ($9.45). The form the registry gives you is all you need to take to the inspection.

soloracer
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by JimmyJones
why is he in jail?

Grand Theft Auto. :rofl:

tom_9109
03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
If you have an alberta bill of sale with his correct info from Ontario on it as a seller and a 'legitimate' signature from him they will let you do anything with it at the registries.

bignerd
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
What kind of car is it?

2EFNFAST
03-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Willing to trade car for 1992 honda civic passenger side rest and 1994 acura integra rear driver rim?

If not, are you willing to part out the car while remaining in possession of the title?

canuckcarguy
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
So your cousin is in jail for a couple of years and he suggests that you create a fraudulent document in order to solve a problem he left for you. Hmmm. Does this seem like a smart idea?

If you're committed to helping him, then fill out a bill of sale, list him as the seller, mail it to him in jail, have him sign it in front of a witness, and mail it back to you.

Then you will have title to the car and can legally sell it, as long as he had valid title to it before leaving town. You haven't said why he's in jail, but in your shoes I would really do my homework before selling it. Check for liens cross-Canada (a carproof will achieve this), and check for collision history, stolen vehicle status, odometer history, etc. Remember that when you sell it, you'll ultimately be responsible for any statements you make about the vehicle.

And have the car professionally detailed if his criminal activity involved drugs.

2EFNFAST
03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

And have the car professionally detailed if his criminal activity involved drugs.

Nothing like having another set of finger prints in there, eh ;)

Hatchback Hero
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

Grand Theft Auto. :rofl:

:rofl:

It's not your car and it should not be your problem. I'm all about helping family, however he should of thought of the results of getting his ass tossed into jail.

There are adds in the paper for removal of junk or unwanted cars. Could always call the parking authority and have it removed I do believe.

TomcoPDR
03-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Nothing like having another set of finger prints in there, eh ;)

You like detailing cars don't you?

derpderp
03-15-2010, 02:21 AM
If he is related to you shouldn't you be able to get this sorted out with the police? Then the registry?

metrosfinest
03-18-2010, 07:44 AM
what kind of car is it?