PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica

davidI
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm looking at going in December with a couple of guys from the office. Anyone been? Is it worth the steep price tag?

broken_legs
03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Other than saying that you've been there, what exactly is the attraction?

Do you fly in? Take a boat? Fight giant squid? Is there a gift shop?

and how much are you paying to go?

thx

ExtraSlow
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
If ice and wildlife are what you want, then I'd hit up an Alaskan cruise.
The only plus to Antarctica is to be able to brag about going there.

I've got a list of probably 100 places I still want to visit, and Antarctica is nowhere on that list. Price isn't the problem either.

revelations
03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
If youre into earth history, geology, have a lot of time to spare, are an adventure seeker, it is a cool place to go. There is a ton there to see and do, unfortunately you'll have to travel quite a ways to see things of interest as its a massive continent. I'd be interested in dry-suit diving in amongst the icebergs.

My brothers are planning a week-long, Antarctic ski excursion for sometime in 2012. That would be the adventure of a lifetime for sure.

I cant see it being fun or that interesting for the casual tourist though.

ExtremeSi
03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
You should check out the show "Departures" on OLN if you've never seen it. It's about two Canadian guys who travel to a bunch of different places around the world, and they went to Antarctica in one episode.
It was interesting, but not on my list really. Just be cool to go there to say you did it I guess.

ekguy
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
You should check out the show "Departures" on OLN if you've never seen it. It's about two Canadian guys who travel to a bunch of different places around the world, and they went to Antarctica in one episode.
It was interesting, but not on my list really. Just be cool to go there to say you did it I guess.

If I remember correctly they just went because they randomly decided why not. Their new season started last night with Russia. Awesome episode, this is mine and my gf's favorite show we never miss it.

I would think there is alot of other places that would be much better suited to travel than Antarctica.

davidI
03-07-2010, 09:38 PM
The attraction to Antarctica is beautiful scenery and wildlife. I think it's a photographer's dream.

http://images.google.ca/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENCA341&q=antarctica&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I've been to all of the other continents so I guess part of me thinks it would be cool to have been to all 7 as well.

I've been to Alaska before - it's beautiful, but no penguins. The scenery in Alaska also looked a lot different with all of the vegetation and rock.

The "cruises" are generally $5k + for 10 days on water. You're on a Russian Icebreaker so it's not exactly a cruise on a Princess boat or something. I think it would be a good experience though.

As far as Departures goes, I'm not really into it. Their camera guy is incredible and takes some amazing footage of the scenery, but I really wouldn't call their style of traveling typical. I think it's much more liberating to grab a backpack and just go. They always seem to meet someone at the airport who shows them around and can speak the local language. Granted, they have some pretty unique experiences because of their "guides", but I think part of the fun of traveling is getting lost, struggling to communicate and falling into those random experiences on your own.

Basically, I think of Departures just as I think of going on a packaged tour: you'll see the sites they want you to see, you'll get a taste of the food, a touch of the culture, meet English speaking locals who talk to tourists as their JOB, and otherwise enjoy your trip. You really won't get the same sort of experience or adventure as you would on your own. Then again, anything that inspires people to get out and see the world around them is ok with me.