PDA

View Full Version : Why does the mail suck so bad in Calgary?

TimG
03-08-2010, 08:15 AM
I've never had issues like these before coming to Calgary.

I get several different trade publications mailed to me every month. 2 weeks ago I got the february issue for one of them and last week got the January issue. For another publication, I got the December and January issues in mid February. For another one, sometimes the magazines don't even show up.

Does anyone else have problems like this?

speedog
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Nope. All the Canada Post mail at the shop and also at home seems to arrive like clockwork. Monthly invoices, bills, statements, magazine subscriptions, trade publications - all like clockwork.

topmade
03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Never had an issue until we moved into Panorama Hills. Would always get someone elses mail and missing some of ours which caused late bill payments.

GoChris
03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
It's because a lot of it is contracted out. It sometimes is not the best service.

scat19
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by topmade
Never had an issue until we moved into Panorama Hills. Would always get someone elses mail and missing some of ours which caused late bill payments.

really? With todays internet based services you still blame late payment on late mail? :facepalm:

Masked Bandit
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
For work we sent out around 100 pieces of mail a day and we rarely have an issue. I have many people tell me the receive it (in town) the next day.

:dunno:

Proyecto2000
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by scat19

really? With todays internet based services you still blame late payment on late mail? :facepalm:

I prefer getting my bills by mail. :drama:

I have issues every couple of months where I get mail for a house that is on a street with a similar name and they probably get my mail.

speedog
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Contracted Canada Post services could very well be the issue here as we have actual Canada Post employees delivering our Canada Post mail both to our shop's and home's physical locations.

And to scat19, gotta agree with you somewhat although not everyone has their bills delivered electronically. Still not a great excuse by topmade though as pretty much everyone should have a pretty good idea that regular bills are regular be it credit card bills, utility bills or whatever.

topmade
03-08-2010, 09:05 AM

Hell yes I still blame them!! All that would accept automatic CC payments have been setup. It's the ones that don't accept automatic payments that we missed on the occasion.

Originally posted by Proyecto2000

I prefer getting my bills by mail. :drama:

I have issues every couple of months where I get mail for a house that is on a street with a similar name and they probably get my mail.
Yeah that's the problem, I was a nice guy at first dropping the bills off at the house since it was just down the street so payments wouldn't be missed, but after a while I just said F it and threw it back in the mailbox to be redelivered.

masoncgy
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
We've had utility bills show up about a week late a couple of times in the 5 years I've lived in Sandstone, but that's about it.

e31
03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I get sale flyers from the local Safeway/Co-op that are routinely invalid. Most of these flyers are good for a week and I sometimes am grateful to have one day to go grocery shopping.

On a side note, my parents still get the voter registration cards for the people that formerly owned the house 15 years ago!

msommers
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Can't say I've ever had an issue with getting the mail.

speedog
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by e31
On a side note, my parents still get the voter registration cards for the people that formerly owned the house 15 years ago! Don't think this is really a Canada Post issue unless Canada Post is now responsible for knowing who lives in what household.

Mar
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
I get my Performance Auto And Sound magazines late. I got November and December in December. And I have yet to receive January and February.....or March.

e31
03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I guess I could have elaborated...

The voter registration was incorrectly delivered, normally one would just write "return to sender" and pop it back in the mail. They got it back the day after with a note from the postoffice saying that it could not be accepted.

I'm not too sure on the specifics; but after numerous phone calls to the gov't/postal outlet and a genuine effort to send the card back to the correct destination, it was thrown in the garbage.

I'm still not sure why Canadapost would not take the voter registration back.

speedog
03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I get my Performance Auto And Sound magazines late. I got November and December in December. And I have yet to receive January and February.....or March. Have you contacted them about this situation? Maybe the problem's within their organization - see their contact #'s at this link (http://pasmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=329&Itemid=130). Certainly, I as a business owner, am quite appreciative when notified of something that is not getting where it supposed to within a reasonable amount of time.

speedog
03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by e31
I guess I could have elaborated...

The voter registration was incorrectly delivered, normally one would just write "return to sender" and pop it back in the mail. They got it back the day after with a note from the postoffice saying that it could not be accepted.

I'm not too sure on the specifics; but after numerous phone calls to the gov't/postal outlet and a genuine effort to send the card back to the correct destination, it was thrown in the garbage.

I'm still not sure why Canadapost would not take the voter registration back. After the fiasco with Canada Post on this one, they should've just called Elections Canada per the numbers they have listed on their web site at this link (http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=ema&document=index&dir=lis&lang=e&textonly=false)

TimG
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I've sent stuff to the states using regular post and it's there within a few days but if i mail something to Ottawa it takes a week. When i mailed stuff from Vancouver to Ottawa it would take 3 days.

something's fishy.

diamondedge
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TimG
I've sent stuff to the states using regular post and it's there within a few days but if i mail something to Ottawa it takes a week. When i mailed stuff from Vancouver to Ottawa it would take 3 days.

something's fishy.

Not really, 3 days is what it says on the CanadaPost website...

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/letterservices.jsf

Spoons
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Whats mail?

You mean e-mail right?

QuasarCav
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I am pretty sure this thread is about regular mail. Not sure how you would get that mixed up.

Spoons
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I am pretty sure this thread is about regular mail. Not sure how you would get that mixed up.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/moskalel/sarcasm_detector.jpg

TimG
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

Not really, 3 days is what it says on the CanadaPost website...

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/letterservices.jsf

do you believe everything that you read?

It take 1 week to the day from when i drop the letter in a mail box downtown to when it's delivered to its destination in ottawa, every time vs 3 days when i would mail the same thing in vancouver to ottawa.

diamondedge
03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TimG

do you believe everything that you read?

It take 1 week to the day from when i drop the letter in a mail box downtown to when it's delivered to its destination in ottawa, every time vs 3 days when i would mail the same thing in vancouver to ottawa.

This can only mean one thing...Calgary is NOT in Canada, hahaa

In all seriousness, maybe it's a downtown thing? Try a different mailbox, maybe it's collected by a different person, who isn't chatting up girls @ Good Earth.

TimG
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
i've tried mailboxes in DT, deep south and everywhere in between, even at post office kiosks.

Mar
03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Have you contacted them about this situation? Maybe the problem's within their organization - see their contact #'s at this link (http://pasmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=329&Itemid=130). Certainly, I as a business owner, am quite appreciative when notified of something that is not getting where it supposed to within a reasonable amount of time. I don't care enough, I haven't finished reading through November yet because I got too many other things taking up my time. If I did get them they would just stack up unread.

speedog
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I don't care enough, I haven't finished reading through November yet because I got too many other things taking up my time. If I did get them they would just stack up unread. So the late delivery really isn't a problem then - almost works out to your advantage, eh.

95teetee
03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I ordered some stuff from Memory Express late (like 11:00PM) one Monday night- it (well, ok, the parcel notification card) was in my mailbox here in Drumheller Wednesday morning. Didn't think that was even possible until it happened.

Altezza
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Must be a Calgary thing. I received some lettermail recently from Korea. Took 3 days to go through the Korean mail system and arrive in Vancouver. Then it took over a week for it to get to me from there.

ddduke
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Do you ever have anything productive to say?

msommers
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
One thing I don't understand actually is why it is cheaper and faster to send a paclage to Florida than it is to Nova Scotia!

bignerd
03-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Sometimes I think part of the problem is the fact that they contract out delivery to some of the super boxes now... the private person doing it now is great, but I can remember back a few years there were some nights we did not get our mail until 6:30 or 7:00 at night. I phoned the post office to complain near my house but they were not aware of any delivery dead line....

djayz
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Contracting out deliveries is one issue but that should have nothing to do with late mail. If the contractor has your mail why would they hang on to it for weeks at a time?

I'd say the issue is at the sort plant more than anything.

The contractors can be a bitch when it comes to delivering packages though as sometimes they won't bother with bringing it to your door and will instead leave a missed delivery in your mail the next day. I called this in and they started leaving packages at my door which was fine except for the fact that they just threw it at the stairs and didnt bother ringing the door bell.

The last thing that set it off for me was when it was pouring rain outside and the idiot contractor left the package on my step, the box was soaked by the time I found out he had left it out there.

After that I called in and told them all packages are to be held at the post office and I will pick them up because you guys can't handle delivery. No problems since then.

TDA
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
I can definitely say that some areas are contracted. I am on a board for a bunch of condos in the Coventry hills area and they have been fucking up *VERY CONSISTENTLY* for the last 2 years... the last six months have better, as I've been complaining on behalf of the building. (theres a online form on canadapost's website and yes they actually monitor it, sometimes I get a call the next day)

When people get wrong mail they just chuck it on the top of the supermailbox in the condo, so at any given time there's a whole pile on top...

Some of the address mistakes I've seen are just stupid, not even correct unit number, not even the correct street. Most often the mistake is that the unit number is correct but for a different building. Pure laziness in reading.

Advice: bitch to CP, but first make sure its not the magazine thats sending out stuff late.. but otherwise from the office and everything its super reliable.

TYMSMNY
03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Anyone have had better experience with mailboxes at the post offices and stuff? Was looking to get a mailbox and didn't know how well it would work.

If anyone have any suggestions for places around Westhills, be great.