PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question?

SupraEnthusiast
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone i am fairly new to beyond and cars as well. I am currently looking to expand my knowlodge about cars by hopefully rebuilding an engine. Just wondering if anyone knows somewhere to pick up a older car to rebuild and also possibly use as a winter vehicle? Also is buying a car from an auction to rebuild a good idea?

Thanks,
Matt

Tarrantula
03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by SupraEnthusiast
Hello everyone i am fairly new to beyond and cars as well. I am currently looking to expand my knowlodge about cars by hopefully rebuilding an engine. Just wondering if anyone knows somewhere to pick up a older car to rebuild and also possibly use as a winter vehicle? Also is buying a car from an auction to rebuild a good idea?

Thanks,
Matt

If you want to learn, just grab a shit engine from pick a part, and disassemble and reassemble for fun? Thats how I learned most of what I know - practice makes perfect.

That or pick up haynes manual(s) for your potential car(s) for backup if you get stuck. Ask a few shops if you can come by and watch a partial rebuild?

94boosted
03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I say go rent a car from enterprise and try to rebuild the motor, if it doesn't work just tell them the piston fell out while you were driving :dunno:

:rofl: jk

revelations
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
The CPA auctions vehicles for 1000$ or less all the time.

American cars are easy to get parts for and make up a lot of their sales.

JAYMEZ
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I learned by rebuilding an old Celebrity and a lawnmower hah..

Frustrating as hell ,but you do learn alot. Have fun!

SupraEnthusiast
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think ill check out regal auctions and maybe the CPA auctions for some oldies. As for tools ill probably pick them up along the way.

Thanks again.

methodicreign
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I can do almost any project with a descent wrachet set, and a couple of tourque wrenchs. a shop full of tools helps alot, and makes things faster and easier, but you don't need 10,000$ in tools either

Cos
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Throw something up on beyond and offer a case of beer for someone who was going to donate their car to the kidney foundation.

It will cost you a case of beer and a tow.

carstrader007
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi 94boosted,

I love your idea, & wonder how I never thought about it before.

lo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0l

inline6turbo
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I may have an engine you can have if you can wait a bit for it? I'm pulling a D15 out of my civic

Justin-88
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I wanna take a part of my parents fence down and put and take the grass out of a little area so i can pull up a Junker and play around with the engine.

They dint like the idea.

Shlade
04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Justin-88
I wanna take a part of my parents fence down and put and take the grass out of a little area so i can pull up a Junker and play around with the engine.

They didnt like the idea.

do it anyways, once its done its done :bigpimp:

and quickley put back the fence before the knotice :rofl:

barmanjay
04-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I may have the perfect project for you, we'll see what happens this coming week

an old sohc 2.0 turbo