PDA

View Full Version : non-insured car in alley?

kbye
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
tried searching but couldn't find an answer. hope i posted in the right section.

i just bought a non-running hachi and i'm going to get it towed into my back alleyway. i dont plan on driving or insuring it until i get it running, but i can't stow it in my garage because it's full.

So, is it okay to leave a car in my back alley without a license plate? Will cops ding me for this?

Kloubek
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot leave an uninsured vehicle on public property.

The cops won't get ya, but the parking authority might come by, or be called by an anal neighbor. With this said, there was a vehicle by my old townhouse which served as a snow collector for months on end, until I finally called the city and told them it was sitting there without insurance for four months.

I wouldn't have called the city normally, but he decided to park right by the exit, so you couldn't see around it to know if any cars were coming; especially with a few feet of snow stacked on it.

Cos
no, you cannot have an abandonded vehicle on the street or in an alley.

There is even a bylaw saying you cant have one on your property if it is ugly

freshprince1
If someone reports it you will need to insure it or remove it. If a cop drives by, they could make the assumption that it is an abandoned vehicle and have it towed.

Not a very smart idea if you ask me.

japan_us
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
It's going to get towed. Your neighbors will make sure of this.

300zxfairlday
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Just get parked insurance pretty cheap , and you wont have to worry about it getting towed . Well you would have to have it registered aswell i think

LUDELVR
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I was looking up the rules about parking an insured vehicle in an alley and I couldn't find any info on this, so am I to assume that I can park an insured vehicle in an alleyway, even if it's not behind my house?

kbye
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
thanks for the quick reply guys.

i have a gravelled part of my backyard that is fenced in so i'll put it in there. another 'rolla is already there so i'll just have it towed for scraps.

or maybe ill get a quote for parked insurance.

thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
I was looking up the rules about parking an insured vehicle in an alley and I couldn't find any info on this, so am I to assume that I can park an insured vehicle in an alleyway, even if it's not behind my house?

An alley is still considered a road, so yes if it's licensed/insured, you can leave it in an alley that isn't blocking someone's garage, for up to 72 hours.

LUDELVR
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

An alley is still considered a road, so yes if it's licensed/insured, you can leave it in an alley that isn't blocking someone's garage, for up to 72 hours.

I didn't see anything about a time limit. I only ask because I have 3 vehicles at my house and it's a townhouse complex with a single garage. It's a pain in the ass to constantly rearrange vehicles and the street adjacent to my house needs a permit to park there. Tried calling parking authority and they said that my complex was not permitted to get a pass so I'm left with parking in the alley across the street.

My vehicles are insured but I just want to know if I'd get in trouble for parking it the alley behind someone's house. I don't drive the jeep too often; however, I would like to have a place to park it without trouble.

speedog
03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Lots of info here (https://www.calgaryparking.com/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=85944&folderId=139080&name=DLFE-1.pdf) - best to park it somewhere indoors and out of sight. Now if you can park it in your yard, then it's best to be on very good terms with your neighbors. My 30 year old El Camino has fire/theft/vandalism insurance only on it and sits in my garage - out of sight and not a problem. My neighbor has an ongoing project (1968 Chevy Beaumont convertible) that sits beside his garage with some parts in his garage - don't bother me and he's a great automotive resource to have around so he won't be having to worry about this neighbor calling him in. Know your neighbors well I say, better to make them allies than enemies.

speedog
03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
To add to the above, 72 hours is the longest a vehicle can stay parked in one spot without moving on any street/road/alley/lane. Now for most of us, we're not going to care if the neighbor's vehicle hasn't moved for a week or two. Hell, my in-laws used to park their motorhome in front of the house for a week in the spring and then again in the fall before coming back from/heading stateside. None of the neighbor's ever had an issue with it because we took the time to go over to their places and let them know.

On the flip side though, I know of two homeowners a block west of me that have an ongoing feud happening and they do call the city when the other neighbor's vehicle hasn't been moved after 72 hours. Yeah, it's petty shit but it's shit that can make one's life pretty miserable real quick.

dansmith11
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
i dont think "parked" insurnace allows you to park in an alley either.

if its on a public roadway (which an alley is) you need to carry liabilty insurnace same as if you were driving it.

speedog
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Gotta have PL insurance to park it on any public roadway.

Weapon_R
03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Just an additional note - Though I have parking insurance on my s2000, it is only valid when the car is parked on private property. If I park it on the street and something happens, I was told that insurance would not cover it. Make sure those who have parking insurance either contact their insurance co. and find out the rules or make sure its parked on a driveway, in a garage, or in your backyard.

speedog
03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't believe you even need to have insurance on a vehicle if you're going to park it on your property. Now if something happens with that vehicle (starts on fire due to electrical short or something) and that causes damage elsewhere on your property, then you could be in a predicament. Thus the reason to add some minimal insurance and remove that battery.

Also, if you let insurance lapse on a vehicle that's older than 10 years, then you'll have to get an inspection done - not a big deal I suppose, but if you've been regularly starting and running this stored vehicle to keep it somewhat healthy and have this happen (insurance lapse), then you're in another predicament. Better to keep that insurance on than have to pay for a more expensive in-home inspection or trailer the old car to an inspection facility.

kbye
03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Also, if you let insurance lapse on a vehicle that's older than 10 years, then you'll have to get an inspection done - not a big deal I suppose, but if you've been regularly starting and running this stored vehicle to keep it somewhat healthy and have this happen (insurance lapse), then you're in another predicament. Better to keep that insurance on than have to pay for a more expensive in-home inspection or trailer the old car to an inspection facility.

Any idea of the time lapse? months/years? Is parked insurance valid enough to avoid inspection?

2EFNFAST
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
If you don't own it (the alleyway) you can't park it there.

Tik-Tok
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kbye

Any idea of the time lapse? months/years? Is parked insurance valid enough to avoid inspection?

Yes. With my insurance company, I can have any kind of insurance on it to avoid having to do the "safety inspection" again, but if I do let it lapse, I can go 6 months before they want it done when I go to re-insure.

speedog
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Any lapse is probably enough to warrant an insurance company to ask for a vehicle inspection report. If you purchase a vehicle that is more than 10 years old, your insurance company is most likely going to require an inspection report. If you've owned the vehicle for multiple years and it's older than 10 years and you let the insurance lapse, then your insurance company will probably want an inspection report. Suspect it's a provincial insurance regulation - found this form (http://www.air-alta.com/pdf/MVIreport.pdf) on line at Air-Alta (Airdrie) Insurance's web site, states 12 years. One can search through the Alberta Insurance Act (http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=I03.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779736317), but at 470 pages it going to be a tedious search.

Cos
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
anyone remember the story of the guy who parked on the street, went on vacation for a week or two, came back and his car had been towed and crushed?

LUDELVR
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
If you don't own it (the alleyway) you can't park it there.

Can anyone validate this? I'm just wondering because if it's public property, it's not yours to claim. I'm also wondering on the main streets. Technically, that spot in front of your house is not really yours...is it?

Cos
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Can anyone validate this? I'm just wondering because if it's public property, it's not yours to claim. I'm also wondering on the main streets. Technically, that spot in front of your house is not really yours...is it?

AFAIK that is correct. As long as I move my car every 71 hours and dont block your driveway or another parking violation you cant do crap even if I park in front of your house.

rob the knob
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
someone posted this link earlier

https://www.calgaryparking.com/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=85944&folderId=139080&name=DLFE-1.pdf

it contains most info of questions asking here.

2EFNFAST
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Which is why if you park an unregistered/uninsured car on the street infront of your house and somebody calls the police, you will be screwed :)

LUDELVR
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Which is why if you park an unregistered/uninsured car on the street infront of your house and somebody calls the police, you will be screwed :)

haha, sorry, I thought you meant any car, including a registered and insured car, but yeah, if it's unregistered and uninsured, not even a question.

Masked Bandit
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
The alley is still a public road and as such you MUST have at least PLPD on the vehicle (and it has to be registered) to be sitting on public property...like a road or alley.

"Parking" insurance is a bit misleading. It's actually just comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism) which is fine as long as the vehicle is sitting on private property (garage, parking pad, driveway, whatever). This is not enough to be sitting in the alley.

As for this 72 hour thing, I don't know where you guys are getting that. I've experienced first hand vehicles parked on the street for well over A YEAR and CPA said because the vehicle was registered, insured, roadworthy & near the owners residence (three or four houses down) there wasn't a damn thing they could do. We were told by CPA that if the vehicle is not roadworthy / driveable however then they can tow it.

Tik-Tok
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
^^^

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Business/Running+a+Business/Bylaws+of+Interest/Streets.htm

* A vehicle must be operable and moved within 72 hours or it may be considered abandoned and removed as such.*

*This regulation is a part of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act External Site. and is enforced by the Calgary Parking Authority External Site..

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/41M2002.pdf

ABANDONING VEHICLES
8. (1) Except as otherwise permitted under the Act or a bylaw, a person shall not:
(a) abandon a vehicle on a highway; or
(b) abandon a vehicle on public or private property without the consent of
the owner or person in possession or control of the property.
(2) A vehicle that is:
(a) left standing on a highway for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless
otherwise provided for in a bylaw ; or
(b) left standing on public or private property for more than 72 consecutive
hours without the consent of the owner or person in possession or
control of the property
is deemed to have been abandoned at that location.

So if after 72 hours if someone called it in as an Abandoned Vehicle, than they would take care of it, as opposed to "someone took my spot"

Mar
03-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I just called Parking Authority over the weekend and had some guy's car towed for not having plates. It was sitting there for a month and a half, I finally got rid of it.

Masked Bandit
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
^^^

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Business/Running+a+Business/Bylaws+of+Interest/Streets.htm

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/41M2002.pdf

So if after 72 hours if someone called it in as an Abandoned Vehicle, than they would take care of it, as opposed to "someone took my spot"

So it turns out we're both right.

I just called CPA and the guy says that the letter of the law states any vehicle that has not moved for 72 hours may be considered abandoned.

However, he said that if the vehicle is driveable, registered & the owner lives in the neighbourhood, they don't tow. So there is nothing wrong with leaving your vehicle parked on the street (assuming driveable & registered) for an extended period of time.

Tik-Tok
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I just called CPA and the guy says that the letter of the law states any vehicle that has not moved for 72 hours may be considered abandoned.

However, he said that if the vehicle is driveable, registered & the owner lives in the neighbourhood, they don't tow. So there is nothing wrong with leaving your vehicle parked on the street (assuming driveable & registered) for an extended period of time.

Hmmm, guess that's much their way of staying out of petty neighbor rivalry then. I bet that if you pressed the issue though, and called often enough, they would tow, as it is the letter of the law.

Funny how they can be lenient enough when it comes to this, but they won't let go of my parking ticket when I was literally paying for the spot when the CPA photo car drove by.

5G_celica
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
just curious.

if you were parked out front of you house for over 72hrs, can they technically tow your car? even though your car is registered to that address?

Cos
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Funny how they can be lenient enough when it comes to this, but they won't let go of my parking ticket when I was literally paying for the spot when the CPA photo car drove by.

You have 20 minutes to pay for your car to be registered in the system. So say you park, a photo is taken, you pay in the next 20 minutes the system has to see your plate be paid for otherwise your ticket is issued.

Something is wrong there.

LUDELVR
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Sweet as! To the alley my jeep goes!!! :D

Cos
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
just curious.

if you were parked out front of you house for over 72hrs, can they technically tow your car? even though your car is registered to that address?

if someone calls to complain yes. You do not own the space in front of your house.

Some guy went to mexico for a few weeks and left his car out front, they towed and crushed it or something.

Tik-Tok
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Cos

You have 20 minutes to pay for your car to be registered in the system. So say you park, a photo is taken, you pay in the next 20 minutes the system has to see your plate be paid for otherwise your ticket is issued.

Something is wrong there.

Obviously their system is set up to fuck people over. Just a couple of days before this, there was a news report on a guy and he was literally getting out of his car (he was in the photo), and still got the ticket in the mail.

You can get an "Administrative Review" done on your case, which I tried to do, weeks went by without hearing anything, so I called and they said they never received the request :facepalm: , and it was too late to initiate it now, because it was past the payment time :facepalm: :facepalm: .

So now I have to go downtown to the JofP to get it tossed.

LUDELVR
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
just curious.

As we have been saying, it seems like the streets in front of your house are public property and technically not yours so if some guy wants to park directly in front of your house, he can because it's not your street; however, if his vehicle is not road worthy, insured and registered, then you can have it towed.

This has been my understanding.

5G_celica
03-09-2010, 04:24 PM

As we have been saying, it seems like the streets in front of your house are public property and technically not yours so if some guy wants to park directly in front of your house, he can because it's not your street; however, if his vehicle is not road worthy, insured and registered, then you can have it towed.

This has been my understanding.

hmmmmm good to know...

one thing I do know is that if the car is registered to you and they have a current phone number, they will call you after the put the red impound sticker on your car.

happend to me when I move to my current place but didn't change my address on my licence over right away.

they told me it wasn't registered to that adress so I had to move it within 48 hours.