PDA

View Full Version : Mexico Rookie - What To Take

Dave P
03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
http://h10hotels.com/hotels/jpg/galeria/zoom/HPC/12.coral4_copy.jpg

So I am heading to Mexico for the first time!

I have been told to go prepared because toiletries and stuff like that are really expensive down there.

I’ve got the usual, zantec, tums, pepto, Tylenol, and all the normal stuff like toothbrush, etc.

What is some stuff you seasoned vets never forget to take because you learned the hard way?

I plan on doing some serious liver punishment, thats for sure.

Thanks for all the help,

dave p

bulaian
03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Immodium

Dave P
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
Immodium

good call.

Haha i also just realized i forgot sunscreen haha. wow. could of been a long week

CMW403
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
i'd get the swine vaccine if you already haven't... a buddy of mine just came back and he's violently exploding from all holes possible all day long:rofl:

TheCheff
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Flipflops & shades

dennisaur
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
would it be better to bring pesos or US dollars?
:hijack:

beyond_ban
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
American cash rules down there.

Also, if you plan on bringing your virginity along try and leave it there :thumbsup:

spike98
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I just got back and i braught nothing more than i would take on a trip to another canadian city.

My best advice is to get both american money and pesos here in canada. The best rates can be had here. If you cant or dont want to travel with that much money exchange through bank machines that spit out US/Pesos. They offer decent rates too but your bank will usually charge you a $3 foriegn ATM fee.

Tip in USD and buy at the malls in USD. Places where you can negotiate the price like markets and such use pasos.

Always give exact change because they will never have any for both. Tip servers at restraunts and your mades and you will get vouchers for free activities.

freshprince1
03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Pepto Bismol, and lots of it. Be careful, Mexico is not what it used to be.

cet
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Twinrix if you haven't already got it. Dukoral?
You can use either US or Pesos. The exchange rate when I was down there was 12:1 US. I was ok most of the time but got burned once.
I was buying tickets for the ferrie from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. The ferrie was close to leaving so the ticket booth was really busy. I was dealing with the woman at the counter and asked for 2 tickets. As I was getting my money out and paying her (in US) other people (locals) were coming up beside me, asking for tickets and giving her the right amount of money. She was helping them and us at the same time. I was getting frustrated by this so when she gave us the tickets and change (in pesos), I had a quick look and got out of there. It wasn't until I got had bit more space that I was able to count my change, do the conversion, and figure out that she shorted me 100 pesos. It is only about $10, but it pisses me off that I allowed it to happen. Had I been paying in pesos I would have caught it earlier. Just something to be aware of.

bubbley
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Pepto Bismol, and lots of it. Be careful, Mexico is not what it used to be.

:werd:

Stay in the tourist areas

adidas
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
NEVER ride the horses on the beach. I felt like i was giving the horse a ride. Dumb ex-gfs want shit thats "romantic."

Otherwise, you prob know not to drink tap water. Tip the bartender a decent amount once you get there the first day and he will be giving you premium alcohol(grey goose, etc.) as it is not part of the all inclusive deal.

Most if not all places can be haggled down to a cheaper price.

Have fun.

R-Audi
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
It is smarter to stick with pesos....

Everyone accepts US dollars, but give you a terrible exchange rate. For example cabs in Puerto Vallarta would be $5usd or $50 pesos... where $5usd=$65 pesos depending on exchange. Its not a huge difference, but at the end of a week it adds up when everyone does it.

Oh, and depending on your skin tone.. bring minimum 15.. but for your average whitey Id keep at least a 30 on until you have a very good base. It really doesnt take long to burn at this time of year!

Like others said.. tip well the first few days..then at the end.get to know the bartenders, and make sure they know you are Cdn.

I wouldnt personally worry about exploring... just dont do anything you wouldnt do at home. Lots of people get into trouble with drugs... other then that you are quite safe. (I go to PV twice a year.. never had any problems... )

Masked Bandit
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I think you may have told me already but where in Mexico (resort) are you going?

Immodium / Kaopectate (sp). PeptoAbysmal won't do shit (pun intended) against Mexico's best.

Sunscreen

CASH, CASH & MORE CASH.

Cheap sunglasses & watch. Don't take the good stuff, it'll be gone.

drtoohotty1
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
condoms ftw

BenC
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
im thinking of going mexico too. what do you guys think, mexico or dominican(punta cana)?