PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Driving course

adidas
03-09-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.defensivedriving.ca/

Has anyone used this site? Has it actually reduced your demerit count?

My dad for some reason figures he needs to knock off 3 demerits when he only has 7 to his record. Either way for a 110 bux its not all that bad.

Is it better to actually do this at an office(i believe AMA offers something similar)?

2EFNFAST
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought reducing demerits via safe driving courses was only applicable in the US, not here?

CMW403
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
im also curiious about this website, i need to do a defensive driving course before april 8th.

5G_celica
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
this sounds like a great way to reduce your demerits. doesn't cost too much either.

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I thought reducing demerits via safe driving courses was only applicable in the US, not here?

I took the Schlumberger diving school and they gave me a Notice of Diver Education slip to submit to the registries. I haven't submitted mine yet, but I was told it'll take off 3 demerits

Wrinkly
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
It "may" also reduce your insurance premium - don't quote me on that, but I thought I read/heard it somewhere....

Kloubek
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
^^ If it does, I figure it makes a bigger difference for younger drivers...

adidas
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
It states that it does reduce insurance premiums, for a 100 bux its really worth a shot. I am even considering doing this with my dad.

The only down side to this, is it can only be done every 2 years.

bubbley
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Correct, taking this course will add demerits back on you record. However, I thought it was only 2? But I guess it's 3. I took this a few years ago at one of the "brown" driving schools lol. Basically, they do some weak sauce lecture with a written test, where everyone was cheating off each other lol.

This was the driving school behind the Whitehorn LRT station, can't remember the name. At that time they had defensive driving courses weekly on like a Sunday, you basically are there for like 5-8 hours and was something like $60.

They then give you some type of document you take to the Registry where you get the points credited to your record.

I believe you can take this defensive driving course once every two years, which reminds me I should go in soon.

Cos
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
Correct, taking this course will add demerits back on you record. However, I thought it was only 2? But I guess it's 3. I took this a few years ago at one of the "brown" driving schools lol. Basically, they do some weak sauce lecture with a written test, where everyone was cheating off each other lol.

This was the driving school behind the Whitehorn LRT station, can't remember the name. At that time they had defensive driving courses weekly on like a Sunday, you basically are there for like 5-8 hours and was something like $60.

They then give you some type of document you take to the Registry where you get the points credited to your record.

I believe you can take this defensive driving course once every two years, which reminds me I should go in soon.

is that the school they busted and shut down for handing out licenses without proper testing?

bubbley
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Cos

is that the school they busted and shut down for handing out licenses without proper testing?

Alberta Professional Driving School
www.southlanddriving.com
#22, 3434-34 ave N.E
Calgary, AB T1Y 6X3
(403) 250-8800

This is the school where I took it.

Kittens11
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Ya i did the online defensive driving, it was easy took maybe 4 hours to complete and i got a slip mailed to me i took to the registrey got 3 demerits back on my liscence.

aristocrat
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I took the online one posted in first post,
its awesome, you motor through it in an hour, leave the window open for 4 hours then take the final exam, its easy, then they mail you the paper to take to the registries.

Do it.

CLiVE
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Just took the online course, and applied it to my license today. No issues, good course over all.

adidas
03-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Alberta Professional Driving School
www.southlanddriving.com
#22, 3434-34 ave N.E
Calgary, AB T1Y 6X3
(403) 250-8800

This is the school where I took it.

Just called them.

They offer Defensive driving course every Wednesday and some Fridays.

Wednesdays - 3:30pm to 9:30pm

Fridays - 1:00pm to 7:00pm

This is for the location in the NE, might want to call to confirm that it is the same for the South location.

Also it is $80 for the course. No reserved spots needed in advance, you can just show up before the class starts.

Only downside to this is you need to sit through 6 hrs of class, where it seems like on the internet you can get by with only an 1hr.

bubbley
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by adidas

Just called them.

They offer Defensive driving course every Wednesday and some Fridays.

Wednesdays - 3:30pm to 9:30pm

Fridays - 1:00pm to 7:00pm

This is for the location in the NE, might want to call to confirm that it is the same for the South location.

Also it is $80 for the course. No reserved spots needed in advance, you can just show up before the class starts.

Only downside to this is you need to sit through 6 hrs of class, where it seems like on the internet you can get by with only an 1hr.

Yeah, I think I am going to do the online one next for sure.

Mibz
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I did that online one as well. Cheap, easy, 3 demerits back and you can do it once every 2 years. It's all part of the speeding tax.

Masked Bandit
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Assuming the course actually manages to shave some demerits off your license IT WILL NOT HELP YOUR INSURANCE PREMIUMS unless:

- you've had your license for less than three years
- you have not previously taken driver training

If the "course" is recognized by the Alberta government then it may qualify as driver training but without any in-car time I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't.

Remember, demerit values / totals on your license have no impact on your insurance premiums.

bituerbo
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm at 12... I should probably get around to taking this course.

?????
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Kittens11
Ya i did the online defensive driving, it was easy took maybe 4 hours to complete and i got a slip mailed to me i took to the registrey got 3 demerits back on my liscence.

Originally posted by Mibz
I did that online one as well. Cheap, easy, 3 demerits back and you can do it once every 2 years. It's all part of the speeding tax.

I wouldn't want demerits added to my record. ;)

Cos
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Assuming the course actually manages to shave some demerits off your license IT WILL NOT HELP YOUR INSURANCE PREMIUMS unless:

- you've had your license for less than three years
- you have not previously taken driver training

If the "course" is recognized by the Alberta government then it may qualify as driver training but without any in-car time I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't.

Remember, demerit values / totals on your license have no impact on your insurance premiums.

how do you prove you took driver training. Lets say you have had your insurance a few years..... and had driver training..... but dont know if it matters or your broker knows you had it?

Masked Bandit
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Cos

how do you prove you took driver training. Lets say you have had your insurance a few years..... and had driver training..... but dont know if it matters or your broker knows you had it?

Easy. Driver training gives you the same credit as someone who has had their license for three years. Once you've been licensed for more than three years DT becomes irrelevant.

When you take an accredited driver training course (in class & in car training) you are issued a certificate upon completion. Handing this certificate over to your insurance provider is what gets you the discount (assuming you have been licensed for less than three years). Keep in mind though, one accident and the driver training credit goes out the window.

Cos
03-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Easy. Driver training gives you the same credit as someone who has had their license for three years. Once you've been licensed for more than three years DT becomes irrelevant.

When you take an accredited driver training course (in class & in car training) you are issued a certificate upon completion. Handing this certificate over to your insurance provider is what gets you the discount (assuming you have been licensed for less than three years). Keep in mind though, one accident and the driver training credit goes out the window.

:(

beyond_ban
03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I did the originally posted course as well. I didn't really read anything and then just challenged the unit exams until i got them right as you are allowed as many tries as possible.

There is a certain amount of time that you need to spend on the site. I had around 5 hours left until i could take the final exam so i just left my self logged in and changed the page every 30 minutes or so so i didn't get logged out for inactivity.

You are allowed three tries on the final exam so you can pretty much pass through the process of elimination. I failed the first and second one, but got a 100% on my third try.

This is BY FAR the easiest way to reduce demerits.