PDA

View Full Version : Buying a mattress - best deals?

Zero102
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
After 10 years of loyal service my mattress has finally become unusable, it is sagging so much in the middle that it will roll you over if you lay incorrectly and is making for some painful sleepless nights for my wife and I.

Some background info: This mattress was from Sleep Country and set us back around $1200 10 years ago. I am kind of against going back there since during the 10 years this mattress has given us 6 springs have separated from the mattress and are sticking out in various places, and the sagging started only 3 years in, during the last 7 years they have refused to replace it under the 10 year warranty every time we called. First they argued we didn't have a proper middle support for the box spring (it was flat on the ground, don't know how much better you can support it), then they argued that since it failed this way we must not have flipped and rotated it every 2 months as recommended (which we have, but really how do you prove this to them), or that the sagging simply wasn't "bad enough" to warrant replacement.

At this point the plan was pretty much to check the yellow pages and try all the big name stores, but obviously some are better than others when it comes to standing behind their products as well as when it comes to price. I was hoping maybe some people could share the results of their careful shopping for my benefit (and for anybody else who is in the same boat as me)?

core_upt
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
i just bought an all natural latex mattress from Halstead. It's awesome - super comfy and supportive. No springs, similar to memory foam, but more resilient, and not made out of chinese chemicals.

They are pricey, though.... about $3500 for the queen, but with a life expectancy of 25+ years, it seemed worth it.

TDA
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
The mattress business is a opaque one, with super huge markups, even larger than furniture.

The exact same mattress is sold with different names at different stores just to make it harder for you to comparison sharp. Often the $3000 mattress is the exact same as the $500 mattress, maybe $50 dollars of improvements, but that's it, just a different label and cover.

Did a ton of research on this, and it is possible to get ripped off even when they have those bullshit 50% off sales due to the huge markup.

Bottom line - I ended up getting a set at costco and have been happy with it. However, selection does suck, you pretty much have only one choice.

Not surprised that you had problems claiming the warranty. I rank the mattress industry pretty similar to the used car industry with its shadiness and trying to weasel out of warranties.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm looking for a decent memory foam mattress without spending a fortune. What is a good place to go?

redline
03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
i just bought an all natural latex mattress from Halstead. It's awesome - super comfy and supportive. No springs, similar to memory foam, but more resilient, and not made out of chinese chemicals.

They are pricey, though.... about $3500 for the queen, but with a life expectancy of 25+ years, it seemed worth it.

i have one of these, i have had it for about 5 years now:thumbsup:

autosm
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I am going to take a look at these guys for our next guest bed.

http://themattressguys.ca/products/index2.php

FYI we had a 4000$ tempurpedic and hated it.

Billy_Billions
03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Halstead all the way. I went their location on Fairmount. I think the guys name is Ryan.

yellowsnow
03-12-2010, 01:18 PM
My friend has a tempurpedic and hates it. Says it gets too hot if you lay in the same spot, and he has to roll to the other side of the bed in the middle of the night

core_upt
03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Billions
Halstead all the way. I went their location on Fairmount. I think the guys name is Ryan.

They closed that one and just run the store in Deerfoot Meadows now.

Watch out for those super soft mattress toppers - they feel great in the store because you sink in and it feels like you're on a cloud, but after a few hours of being nestled deep in a pillowtop, it gets fucking ridiculously hot and sweaty.

Also, latex mattress don't house bed bugs... just something to keep in mind!

ExtraSlow
03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, My last mattress was a higher end one with the super soft pillowtop. Worst decision I've ever made. That shit suffocates you and holds in the hot air.
Next mattress will have little to no pillotop.

r3ccOs
03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Latex is probably the best foam material and hand tied springs are still very good... you could even opt for a feather pillow top

Halstead is probably your best option if you know what you want...
I went to sleep country and picked up a Kingsdown mattress that my wife really likes, but I find too warm :( but for the winter its quite nice and has a thick silk pillow top, progressive springs and talalay latex/open cell memory foam

you can find some real good deals out there

quazimoto
03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
unless your allergic to latex. You'd be surprised just how many people are lol.