PDA

View Full Version : Accident Question

hueyheli
03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Everybody,

New to beyond and I have a question about an accident I was involved in a couple weeks ago.

The accident was pretty minor, just a couple scratches on each car and have decided to handle without insurance. The other driver provided me an estimate for his damages and it was a couple hundred bucks. I would like to pay to cover it, however want to do my due dillegence to make sure Im not held liable any further after I give him a cheque for the damages.

Should there be anything I should get in writing releasing me of any other damages that prevents them coming back at me for additional expenses.

Just wanted to get beyond's experience on what they did on this one.

Thanks.

Weapon_R
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
You should get the other driver to sign a release. PM with your email if you want one.

hueyheli
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Pm'd Thanks.

BigShow
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Make sure you are getting a release for personal injuries in addition to vehicle damage.

Kloubek
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Agreed on both accounts. You need to have him sign off that the repairs were satisfactory as well. Just cover your ass so there is nothing he can come back with later to get ya.

TYMSMNY
03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
also stating that he waives all medical claims too....

2ndgenlude
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
ya. i did the same thing with someone. just write up a general release making you clear of repairs and injuries after payment is accepted. just make a copy for each of you, and get both of you to sign it as well as a witness. Should cover your ass.

punky
03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
can somebody stickie that somewhere? like the bill of sale, its pretty useful!

bignerd
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I read in another thread on another forum recently that if you do not go through insurance, even with the signed release from them, they could still come back after you and your signed note would not hold up in court...

Of course this was coming from the insurance company, you may want to verify with your own company "hypothetically speaking if you were in an accident...." what would happen and if you are still liable even with the signed release. Make sure you tell them it is hypothetical or you were just wondering.