PDA

View Full Version : Want to try Parkour? Look no further!

Barking_Spidre
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey guys and girls of beyond.

In regards to the previous parkour/free running thread, I took it upon myself to talk to the owner of the parkour gym I go to.

We came up with the idea, of a 2 hour "feeler" class on a saturday, for around $20 each. We'd go over all the basics. The saturday we're thinking of is March 20th, 4pm to 6 pm. The date is not set in stone so don't worry if it doesn't fit your schedule. We can work something out!

Summer is just around the corner, now's the time to practice and get into it! The community around the gym is super friendly and helpful, it's like a little family. Maybe we could get some beyond parkour runs going this summer.

Does this sound interesting to anyone? Reply here or send me a PM if you'd be down to give it a shot, or if you have any questions.

Hope to hear from you!

insomnia403
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd love to learn! And would be interested for sure.
Although i dont have any experience and i'm not absolutely athletic. So so sum it up what are the average requirements.

craigcd
03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
All i can think about is Dwight and Mike from The Office.

I would be interested if i wasnt going for knee surgery in a week, it would be nice to see some videos/pics once you guys get going!

Canmorite
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
What would the 'feeler' class include?

DeeK
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I recorded a video after my lessons.

I'm lookin' for some sponsorships.

VIDEO (http://www.break.com/index/bad-parkour-dude-fails-jumping-car.html)

Barking_Spidre
03-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by insomnia403
I'd love to learn! And would be interested for sure.
Although i dont have any experience and i'm not absolutely athletic. So so sum it up what are the average requirements.

I've seen some bigger guys in the gym trying it and giving it their best, and they seem to do well. As long as you're not horribly over weight ie. can't hold your own body weight or jog/run at a decent speed then you should be ok. If you think you're too weak or something like that, I wouldn't worry about that. There's always training/conditioning to be done.

Originally posted by Canmorite
What would the 'feeler' class include?

You'd be in the gym for 2 hours, with a couple of the instructors (I'd probably come just to represent beyond and play around, maybe try my hand at teaching), and learning most, if not all of the basics for parkour. First thing you'd learn is rolls, like front, side, back rolls. It's one of the most important moves to learn, it'll save your knees and joints alot of punishment. Then learn some vaults ie. kongs, dashes, side vaults, maybe reverse vaults. And towards the end of the class, if there was something you'd like to try, or learn, you could always ask someone to teach you.

The first minute of this video should give you a good idea.
-T4VZM2VyDg

aristocrat
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
How hard is it to pick up?

Canmorite
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

You'd be in the gym for 2 hours, with a couple of the instructors (I'd probably come just to represent beyond and play around, maybe try my hand at teaching), and learning most, if not all of the basics for parkour. First thing you'd learn is rolls, like front, side, back rolls. It's one of the most important moves to learn, it'll save your knees and joints alot of punishment. Then learn some vaults ie. kongs, dashes, side vaults, maybe reverse vaults. And towards the end of the class, if there was something you'd like to try, or learn, you could always ask someone to teach you.

Looks cool. What if I'm just interested in doing the gym training/practice? I've had a tramp since I was 5 and I'm pretty familiar with a gym.

Barking_Spidre
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by aristocrat
How hard is it to pick up?

It's very easy to get used to. The first time I tried it was october 2009, took the parkour level 1 then level 2 at AFC. I got right into it, I'm also kind of naturally athletic. Even if you aren't, just some dedication and practice and you'll be golden!

Originally posted by Canmorite

Looks cool. What if I'm just interested in doing the gym training/practice? I've had a tramp since I was 5 and I'm pretty familiar with a gym.

Well, there aren't any tramps or any cube pits (yet) at the AFC gym, but you can go to the UofC drop in at the gymnastics center, which I think is all week at 8:30. I'm actually going tonight, I need to practice my backflips, wall flips and gainers.
You can practice your parkour there, they have all the boxes and stuff just like the AFC gym does, but there isn't always a guy from the parkour gym there.

Pollywog
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Lol @ the liabilities you are assuming, sounds wicked though - I love watching those vids on youtube.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Can I come take photos?

Canmorite
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

Well, there aren't any tramps or any cube pits (yet) at the AFC gym, but you can go to the UofC drop in at the gymnastics center, which I think is all week at 8:30. I'm actually going tonight, I need to practice my backflips, wall flips and gainers.
You can practice your parkour there, they have all the boxes and stuff just like the AFC gym does, but there isn't always a guy from the parkour gym there.

Ah ok. I would go to U of C drop in but I have classes Thursday night. Was hoping this other gym would have similar facilities available on Saturdays.

Affinityion
03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey all, I train with the No Limit's team and Kurt (the gym's owner). Just wanna say we train exclusively at the No Limits AFC gym down on MacLeod Trail, but some of us also train at the U of C. If you see us we're usually wearing black T-shirts with the No Limits logo on the front and "I do all my own stunts" on the back. Feel free to hit us up for help, we'd be more than happy to help you out with anything.

Originally posted by TDFTW
Can I come take photos?

I'm sure Kurt would have no problems with that...assuming you're going down to the AFC gym.

Happy training
- Norm

Khyron
03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm in for a feeler class if you don't mind an old guy with a walker. Something tells me it might be a good fit.

wintonyk
03-13-2010, 01:31 AM
I am 100% down for this. I used to do jiu jitsu and gymnastics when i was younger. Doing that I learned alot of rolls and flips.

At one point I could run up a wall with a wedge on it and front flip. However that was 10 years ago and before i discovered fear.

TDFTW
03-13-2010, 01:40 AM
If anybody can do legitimate Parkour and wants to hit up the street sometime for photos please pm me. I'm extremely interested in setting up some shots!

Kavy
03-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Out of all those vaults I have done 1 ever in my life LOL.

Im an athletic guy as well but all i see is broken wrists and concussions coming from me attempting this.

I do however echo TDFTW's comments and would love to snag pics.

TDFTW
03-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Out of all those vaults I have done 1 ever in my life LOL.

Im an athletic guy as well but all i see is broken wrists and concussions coming from me attempting this.

I do however echo TDFTW's comments and would love to snag pics. I'll remember to PM you if I set something up so you can come tag along and get some shots too!

Dj_Stylz
03-13-2010, 06:59 AM
i_mpNUl3swk

Canucks3322
03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
^ HAHAHA that's the first thing I thought of when I saw Parkour.

KKY
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
I'll remember to PM you if I set something up so you can come tag along and get some shots too!
Count me in. I offered in the other thread but only got one response LOL

I'm interested in both indoor or outdoor.

Khyron
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
So is this Sat actually a go?

lison
03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
sounds like fun but i'm afraid of injuries haha

ClearBluewater
03-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Is this a joke?

pyro
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
possibly would be down to try it out, wheres the gym at? still a go for this sat?

wintonyk
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
if that is 4-6 on saturday i am down pm me with details

Canmorite
03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Saturday?? I want to check out this gym.