PDA

View Full Version : Want to borrow a 5D

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Anybody here have a canon 5D they could part with a couple hours this week?

I'm looking to get a feel for full frame shooting and see what differences it will provide me on an actual shoot without going out and buying one and possibly returning if I do not like it.

You're more than welcome to join me on the shoot if you like, and the camera is in safe hands, however should anything happen there is cash to take care of the problem that obviously wont happen.

Anyways, just shoot me a PM!

mboldt
03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Rararararent

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by mboldt
Rararararent I don't use credit cards so renting from the camera store is not an option for me :(

mboldt
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
You can put cash down at some places.. I've done it

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by mboldt
You can put cash down at some places.. I've done it Where?

Vistek Downtown and South Locations wont let me use cash.
TCS wont let me use cash to even rent a lens.
Saneal on 10th wont let me use cash.

Everybody requires deposits be credit card. Even if I have full purchase cost of what I want to rent in cash, they won't do it. I was going to rent the 70-200 2.8 is for this weekend, I have the full ammount of that lens in cash, those stores wouldn't let me do it.

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Are you speaking in terms of a 5D Mark I or a 5D Mark II?

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Are you speaking in terms of a 5D Mark I or a 5D Mark II? Mark 1. I don't have enough cash to buy a mark II safely yet. I'd be a hundred out of the rent fund if I bought one of those :(

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I'd always suggest buying the 5D Mark I over the mark II anyways unless you are really in deep desire of video. I loved my old Canon 5D Mark I's. I know one of my close friends has one of my old Canon 5D Mark I's and I can see if he might be willing to let you play around with it. I'm just not sure how long you want to borrow it for. It's a tricky spot since most people are kinda glued to cameras worth that much money.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 02:00 AM
old 5d mkI's aren't worth that much. I could find one easy for ~$900. The used value of my 40D with the grip is about $850-900 so they really aren't that expensive.

I just don't want to get one used and find out I don't like it or it doesn't suit me and deal with selling it again.

soupey
03-11-2010, 02:07 AM
^900 for a 5D in canada? i don't think so...unless its in really bad condition or something...

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 02:08 AM
It's hard on the eyes at first. Seriously I have issues looking through a crop body camera now. It looks wierd when you see this tiny box. It's all pretty much the same with a much bigger viewfinder. This couple in Hawaii asked me to take a photo using their XTI and I seriously had issues. It felt like I was holding an Alien camera.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by soupey
^900 for a 5D in canada? i don't think so...unless its in really bad condition or something... You don't shop around as extensively as I do when I make purchases for these things :)

That's how I got my 85L for 40% of retail.

soupey
03-11-2010, 02:46 AM
in that case, you should buy it and sell at a profit if it doesnt fit your needs.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 03:00 AM
i think i will tomorrow, screw it lol

lint
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by TDFTW
That's how I got my 85L for 40% of retail.

I thought you had to bang some crazy chick?

bcylau
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I have a 5d / 1dmk2 I am sending to Canon this weekend. I guess if you want to check out 1x and 1.3x I would be able to help you. send me a pm

btw- I dont get how you can say a used 5d is about $900 then say your 40d + grip is worth $850 when you can probably find 40d's for $500 and grips for $100

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by bcylau
I have a 5d / 1dmk2 I am sending to Canon this weekend. I guess if you want to check out 1x and 1.3x I would be able to help you. send me a pm

btw- I dont get how you can say a used 5d is about $900 then say your 40d + grip is worth $850 when you can probably find 40d's for $500 and grips for $100 Go check out POTN, 40D with a GRIP and batteries sells for $800+ all day long man.

I posted my 40D up on kijiji local last week for $1000 and had offers of $800, 900 and $950.

bcylau
03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Just like how the 40d goes for $800+ all day, 5ds goes on potn for $1000+ all day. thats all I am trying to say

syeve
03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
That's weird...I almost never see 5d's on kijiji and there are three on the first page? Might be a deal out there...just watch the wear on them...although they are tanks, most are used semi-professionally/professionally and have very high shutter counts. Not all, but most.

EDIT, LOL, k, I'm an idiot, I was searching for 5d's...wow, good for me.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Just like how the 40d goes for $800+ all day, 5ds goes on potn for $1000+ all day. thats all I am trying to say Yep, but if you actually spend time looking for a deal and have great bargaining skills you will have no problems finding a 5D for under a grand dude.

You can't just go out and find one right away, it never happens that way. I buy all my stuff cheap and I'm good at it lol

bcylau
03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
agreed, anyways like i said, I have a 5d and a 1dmk2 to lend.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM
agreed, anyways like i said, I have a 5d and a 1dmk2 to lend. And I'm definately interested in borrowing the 5D. I just have to arrange everything so it falls into place. Mind PM'ing me your schedule? I'm going to try and get a shoot in the same time frame.

scat19
03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
need a car? its changed a bit since last :bigpimp:

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by scat19
need a car? its changed a bit since last :bigpimp: If your schedule is open then sure I'll use it Elliot

scat19
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Pretty much :)

AccentAE86
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I really REALLY wanted to love the 5D. It has a full frame sensor in a relatively compact body. So for a while, I shot with the 5D, alongside the 40D, 30D, and mark III bodies. The 1-series bodies are heavy and I wanted something lighter.

I loved the image quality. Fantastic. It was really good. It really lived up to the hype, though one thing that really did bother me was that the reds were brutally oversaturated (even in the RAW files) which usually caused red channel clipping long before any of the other channels would come close. Not too bad for the most part, unless you're shooting something red. Nothing handles reds like my old 10D did. The 10D had the richest, most natural and neutral colour I've *EVER* seen in any DSLR. I'd die to have a modern body with 10D colours. Anyhow, other than that, the 5D image quality was outstanding.

But in the end, I did not keep the camera. There were just too many shortcomings (for ME, not saying for everyone) that did not justify the image quality.

-The outer focus points are pathetically insensitive, slow, and inaccurate. Centre point is pretty much your only focus point when ambient light isn't excellent.

-The AF point spread is also pathetic. There are 9 selectable points (which is ok) but they're all clustered in the centre. But really, I guess it doesn't matter since the centre point is the only trustworthy point.

http://www.rjwhetton.co.uk/random/Overlay.jpg

-This is a slow camera. It's mechanical pieces aren't as robust, it doesn't have as much damping for mirror slap, it's shutter curtains aren't as thick, and even the glue they chose to hold the mirror in place was substandard. Because they went a bit cheaper on the internals compared to a 1-series full frame, they slowed down the entire system to reduce wear on the moving parts.

This means there is greater shutter lag (VERY noticeable when shooting alongside a 1-series in faster action shooting, and still noticeable beside a 40D).

Viewfinder Blackout time is also much longer. It feels like an eternity compared to a 1-series or D3, it feels sluggish compared to a 40D/30D/D700. With the 5D, I felt like I was leaving the action and then returning to the action. With the faster cameras, it never feels like you are leaving the action. (note, this is not really a concern for still life, product, or portraits, so this might not bother you at all)

Reduced flash sync speed is also due to the slower mechanicals. 1/200 instead of 1/250. Again, this might not be a concern to you, but it was to me. I'm always shooting against the sun, and losing 0.3 stops of flash power because of slow sync speed is NOT welcome, especially when you feel like your flash is already a stop underpowered.

-Low burst rate (3fps). Even in weddings I found this frustrating. Not because I shoot in rapid fire, but because sometimes you just miss that moment by a fraction of a second too early, and want to take another shot ASAP to get it. With 6.5fps-10fps, you can get it. At 3fps, you miss it. And then with long viewfinder blackout times, you don't even see it. :banghead:

Basically, in an operational sense, it was very weak to me. It produced excellent imagery when used for what it is really good at, but it has a more limited scope of what it's good at than canon's other offerings. To kinda sum up how I felt, it was like the 1-series was a half step ahead of me, the 40D keeps up with me, but the 5D was trailing a half step behind me. I could think and shoot faster than it was capable of doing. That to me, that trumps absolutely everything.

Which is why I went with a D700 instead. The D700 makes the 5D/5D2 feel like a handicapped lethargic one legged senior citizen turtle. I would do anything for a canon version of the D700.

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
thanks for your write up. i cant wait to try one out and look at those things you pointed out and how they affect me

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I can also agree that the AF on the 5D and 5D MII leaves much to be desired. The overall image quality on the 5D Mark I though was outstanding. I find it seriously disappointing that the sensor didn't make its way into other cameras.

C4S
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
How about .. say spend $50 or $100 to pick up a whatever film camera, you can try out to see if you like FF ..

I bet you will like it ..

^_^

Dirty_SOHC
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I personally love my 5D mark II :D. I have ran into the poor AF performance once or twice when shooting black objects in extreme low light. But at the end of the day, the AF is a non issue for me...

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I just don't understand why canon took a great sensor, put it in that body but then didn't do any other major upgrades other than adding video. I mean imagine the 5D with the7D autofocus system and Canon would have a camera that would be taking many customers from Nikon.

C4S
03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
old 5d mkI's aren't worth that much. I could find one easy for ~$900. The used value of my 40D with the grip is about $850-900 so they really aren't that expensive.

I just don't want to get one used and find out I don't like it or it doesn't suit me and deal with selling it again.

Sorry ... I dont see the math here ... how could a 40D (even with grip) has same value as a 5D?

Unless you are selling your 40D in Europe, and buying a used 5D with over 100,000 clicks ...

Very careful to buy used 5D .... you dont want to buy one, then take few pic, and the mirror drops!

TDFTW
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Sorry ... I dont see the math here ... how could a 40D (even with grip) has same value as a 5D?

Unless you are selling your 40D in Europe, and buying a used 5D with over 100,000 clicks ...

Very careful to buy used 5D .... you dont want to buy one, then take few pic, and the mirror drops! I think you mis understood what I was implying.

Sure everybody sells these 5D's for $1300, that doesn't mean I can't get one for $900.

Just because SOME people might sell their 40D cheap for $500, does not mean I cant sell mine with a grip for $800+

........sigh.........

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes and on a side note with the 5D Mark I they are horrid for getting dust and other crap all over the place inside the body.

C4S
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I just don't understand why canon took a great sensor, put it in that body but then didn't do any other major upgrades other than adding video. I mean imagine the 5D with the7D autofocus system and Canon would have a camera that would be taking many customers from Nikon.

M A R K E T I N G !!!

I agree, 7D AF/Metering + 5DII sensor would be awesome!! but then, they want to sell 1DsX, 1Dx, 5D MarkX, 7D etc series ...

Not just Canon, look at Sony A900, good sensor, (not that software for noise... but at least, sensor from D3X) but it doesn't offer good AF system as well ... :dunno:

Dirty_SOHC
03-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Thread highjack- Is anyone gettting tired of comments like this? Sorry Quazi, as I am quoting you for my example simply because its convient.

Why do these threads always has to turn into a "Only if Canon did this, or Nikon rocks my socks"... IMO Canon and Nikon both make fantastic solid cameras. I'm finding it extremely tiring to read these all these threads that get side tracked with focusing on gear whoring and branding. Lets focus on techniques and helping each other get better...

Back to our original topic- TDFTW, I think you will love FF. I personally blame Rage and D'z Nutz for my addiction to FF and also a empty wallet.

quazimoto
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Wasn't necessarily me, other's mentioned the weak points of the camera and it's a valid point for somebody to consider before going out and buying a camera. It's also helpful to get information from others regarding lenses and bodies just as well as technique. Honestly the amount of information you can learn on beyond with a variety of different lenses is always helpful to others in the what to buy and what not to buy kind of mentality.

soupey
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM

...5dm3.

my assumption would be that they're trying to make distinctions between the models. dont want to run into a kinda...redundant model (like the 50D)...the 5dm3 will likely be the first FF video camera capable of raw video output, 60FPS, 7D-like AF, remote flash capability, etc etc etc, wouldnt make sense to give all the features to a body thats already well into its lifespan. various rumours state that these are all changes that could be worked into a firmware update with ease...but have optionally been taken out by canon to maintain a competitive edge when releasing new bodies.

as for the comment about dust getting into the body of 5dm1's, it's an easy fix, two screws and removal of the focus screen gives access to the prisms where the dust settles, a few puffs of air and the VF dust is gone.

that all said, i love my 5dm2, starting with an xsi, then to a 5d, i missed the LCD screen options...hated setting thigns up with the top LCD (i know that's backwards for most people here)...that and the lack of liveview. the 5d2 fixed all of that and made me an happy customer =)

Go4Long
03-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Yep, but if you actually spend time looking for a deal and have great bargaining skills you will have no problems finding a 5D for under a grand dude.

Great bargaining skills like just offering half the price that its listed for and then when they won't sell it for that saying you'll just go get it somewhere else for that price? Or are we talking about different bargaining skills?

Lol. Its the beyond way of life.

TDFTW
03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

Great bargaining skills like just offering half the price that its listed for and then when they won't sell it for that saying you'll just go get it somewhere else for that price? Or are we talking about different bargaining skills?

Lol. Its the beyond way of life.
TDFTW is now ignoring posts from this user.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2010, 09:36 AM
God dammnit you guys.

Actually, I would like to know how to get 40% off retail. TDFTW, would you like to bargain for me on a camera for a fee?

TDFTW
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
God dammnit you guys.

Actually, I would like to know how to get 40% off retail. TDFTW, would you like to bargain for me on a camera for a fee? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at your avatar :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kloubek
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Dave, as mentioned, feel free to borrow my 7D for an afternoon or whatever.

(Just don't drop it on the ground like you did your flash last night) lol.

TDFTW
03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Hey Dave, as mentioned, feel free to borrow my 7D for an afternoon or whatever.

(Just don't drop it on the ground like you did your flash last night) lol. Lol! That flash is taking alot of abuse. I can't wait to buy some feet for my sb's to mount tripods properly :D

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at your avatar :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can we be serious for a moment? Geez.

I will buy you an 89lunch if you can get me 40% off...or tell me how to do it anyway. (It has to work to qualify).

TDFTW
03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Can we be serious for a moment? Geez.

I will buy you an 89lunch if you can get me 40% off...or tell me how to do it anyway. (It has to work to qualify). :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

C4S
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
TDFT,

Don't get me wrong, I bought an 5D for under 1K last year as well ..

But then, I sold that after few weeks, for low price as well, just because that one is not in good shape, lots of dead pixel, (can fix in photoshop) and everything is not as Soild.

Just friendly advice, 5D is a great camera, even it has been out for 4 yr, however, it is not as solid built as 1D series, and lots of them are not in good shape, (shutter life is only ~80,000 on 5D)

Some good deal from ebay as well, however, should buy from reputated sellers.

:)