PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a new car - Dealing with salespeople? Advice?

lelalong
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Went to the car show yesterday since I'm thinking of buying a new car this year. I hate going through the dealing process with the salespeople since I don't know how to make the approach to getting a good deal.

I've searched for other threads on this topic but couldn't find one.

I'm liking Audi and Volkswagen so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they've managed to get a good deal without feeling like they were molested by the dealership?

I found the website Car Cost Canada but it seems to be in cahoots with the dealers...so I don't want to look to them for advice.

Thanks! :)

Redlyne_mr2
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Audi doesn't do much for discounts and really nor does VW. Manufacturers discounts are the best way to save money on a car but those only come generally at the end of the model year when the are clearing out old inventory. At that point you have to go with whatever a deal has left in stock. CCC of course gives you all the information on the cost of the car but I always felt it was a waste of money. Just because you know the cost of the car doesn't mean the dealer will sell it to you for that amount. It's the simple law of supply and demand, you'll always get better deals on cars no one wants versus cars that have a 3month waiting list.

LMVantage
03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Just ask for a deal, but don't be nasty about it. There are salespeople who aren't there to screw you over (shocking, I know). I realize everyone wants the best deal possible - just keep in mind that whatever you push to take off the price of the car, over and above the rebates/promotions, is coming out of his/her pocket, and they need to eat too! Commissions aren't as bit as people like to think they are.

I still don't understand what's wrong with simply taking the rebates/promotions and leaving it at that?

R-Audi
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
A piece of advice I was given...
Always try to go with one of the younger salesman. They are typically more enthusiastic about getting a deal done, and from my experience know more about the product.

The dealers are always more willing to work out a deal if they have several of the cars on the lot, and you are willing to grab one of them. (As opposed to ordering, or waiting for something in particular to come in)

I Looked at Subarus on the weekend.. as much as I'd love an Outback for the Wifey, sheer numbers (and an honest salesman) will lead us to the Forrester.

Aleks
03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by lelalong
Went to the car show yesterday since I'm thinking of buying a new car this year. I hate going through the dealing process with the salespeople since I don't know how to make the approach to getting a good deal.

I'm liking Audi and Volkswagen so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they've managed to get a good deal without feeling like they were molested by the dealership?

I found the website Car Cost Canada but it seems to be in cahoots with the dealers...so I don't want to look to them for advice.

I have used CCC on 6-7 purchases now for myself, friends and family and it's saved me thousands in time and money.

I agree that if you looking for a model that's hard to come by CCC might not help any. But, if the car is readily available it should be a useful tool. An example: I've seen people paying full sticker on a Subaru STI for example where if you have the report you can get $3k off the sticker :nut:

As far as VW goes it might be tough to get any discount on a new version of the Golf if that's what you're looking at.

jonnycat
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
The best way to deal, is to learn more about the particular car you are interested in than most salespeople would know. Having superior knowledge in all areas, (mechanical, options, features, financing, rebates and cost) will be recognized by the salesperson and he or she will subconciously reduce their role to order taker and will be eager to get the salesmanager involved. This is what you want.

Also research the invoice price on this car, and figure out exactly what price you are comfortable with, over that invoice price. You must know this before you go into a dealer. (A good rule of thumb is to mulitply the MSRP by 0.89.) A good manager will break out the invoice, show you their cost and explain they need to retain $X for profit. If you can agree on $X over invoice. you are set. If they don't break out the invoice, please continue.

When it comes time to deal, give them your offer you can either offer $X over invoice and stand your ground.

You may also offer them a price below what you are willing to pay, say in this case, invoice cost and let them "win" a little by settling on your original set price.

If the brand isn't known for reducing prices, your best bet is to find out what others have paid as there may be a little room. This is where you can negotiate for accessories, warranties to be included.

If this all fails and you have tried the same method at more than one dealer and no dice. Then the dealer is comfortable with their ability to move inventory and you may have to pay what they are asking or move to a different brand.

craigcd
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I am friends with the sales manager at VW in the NE. If you decide to go that way PM and i can set you up with him. Hes young, motivated, and great to deal with.

Craig

94boosted
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
The best way to deal, is to learn more about the particular car you are interested in than most salespeople would know. Having superior knowledge in all areas, (mechanical, options, features, financing, rebates and cost) will be recognized by the salesperson and he or she will subconciously reduce their role to order taker and will be eager to get the salesmanager involved. This is what you want.

Also research the invoice price on this car, and figure out exactly what price you are comfortable with, over that invoice price. You must know this before you go into a dealer. (A good rule of thumb is to mulitply the MSRP by 0.89.) A good manager will break out the invoice, show you their cost and explain they need to retain $X for profit. If you can agree on $X over invoice. you are set. If they don't break out the invoice, please continue.

When it comes time to deal, give them your offer you can either offer $X over invoice and stand your ground.

You may also offer them a price below what you are willing to pay, say in this case, invoice cost and let them "win" a little by settling on your original set price.

If the brand isn't known for reducing prices, your best bet is to find out what others have paid as there may be a little room. This is where you can negotiate for accessories, warranties to be included.

If this all fails and you have tried the same method at more than one dealer and no dice. Then the dealer is comfortable with their ability to move inventory and you may have to pay what they are asking or move to a different brand.

This is absolutely correcy! I couldn't agree more. Especially the part about knowing the car you want to buy inside and out, if you can prove to the salesman that you know your stuff when it comes to that particular car he is less likely to bs you and more likely to be honest and straight and give you a good price. It worked very well for me when I bought my car this past summer.

max_boost
03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
You should also post up what car you are looking for. Maybe a member on here has recently purchased one and can give you an idea of what can be done.

For example:
2010 Subaru WRX or STi, up to $3000 off.
2010 VW GTI, $500 off.

Zewind
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
jonnycat thats freaking amazing. I love it :thumbsup:

codetrap
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
When I bought my Jetta, I mass emailed every dealership in BC, Alberta, Sask and Manitoba, cc'd them all with the same message. The dealership that comes back with the best price on the Jetta I want with "this" spec package is the one I'll come to and buy my car.

I ended getting almost 2G off sticker at a VW dealership, which was pretty good I thought.

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by lelalong

On the contrary - Car Cost Canada is your friend. If you get a report for an Audi, you will most likely be put in touch with a guy from Glenmore Audi. It IS possible to get a decent discount going this route. All CCC does, is help the consumer understand the pricing which facilitates a deal. The dealer knows you're serious and you know how to make an offer that is reasonable for both parties. I think it's great.

rizfarmer
03-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Just don't buy from Right Price Auto and you should be ok.

lelalong
03-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm interested in the Q5 while the hubby wants the S4. He's more likely to buy before me. I probably won't be buying until the 2011's are out.

We'll give car cost a try to see what it has to offer. Its not too expensive I just hope the info is useful.