PDA

View Full Version : How to drive in a round about

Cos
03-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Seems that no one has a FUCKING clue how to use a round about in this city. They just installed one near my work and way too many times people dont know how to use them.

My biggest complaints:

1.) USE YOUR SIGNALS, when you get to the exit your going to take. That allows the other people waiting to go on to know they wont be coming past you.

2.) Dont stop in front of me if there is no one in the round about.

Here is the explanantion I found online for proper use of a roundabout.

1. Slow down. The speed limit in many roundabouts is about 40 kph. Even if the posted limit is higher it is a good idea to drive slowly to be on the lookout out for pedestrians, bicycles, and turning cars.

2. Yield. You must yield to the traffic already in the roundabout. You also need to yield to pedestrians crossing the road. All cars must yield to large buses and trucks since they need more room to maneuver turns safely. As always, everyone has to yield to emergency vehicles.

3. Do not stop in the roundabout. Once you are in the roundabout you have the right of way to all incoming traffic, except emergency vehicles. Do not stop to let non-emergency vehicles on the roundabout as this will create a traffic jam that roundabouts were created to avoid.

4. Use your signals. Always signal when exiting. Remember to yield to pedestrians when exiting the roundabout.

5. Don't worry if you miss your exit. This is another good reason to have people signal. Someone can go round and round all day if they wish and that does not give you the right of way to enter the round about.

Boostzilla
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Seems that no one has a FUCKING clue how to use a round about in this city.

Agreed + 1

RickDaTuner
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
The ones I have seen here in Calgary are a bit of a joke. Single lane, with 4 basic exits. People treat the yield sings as stops, and then the person in the roundabout gives way to the stopped person in the entrance.

I am more familiar with the multi lanes ones from Europe and elsewhere, where if you are going to pass more than one exit you take the inside lane until you are close to your exit, then you switch to the outside to get out.

Are there any like this in Calgary?

If I was ever mayor of Calgary I would make it mandatory to renew your DL and be re tested every 3 years along with an updated written. Carried out by city officials and none of this private bullshit.

Can't count how many times I have heard people "paying" to pass the written and on road exam.

scat19
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I'd love to see what calgarians would do with the "magic roundabout"

5 roundabouts around a big roundabout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

RickDaTuner
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
^ what the sweet mother of pearl is going on there.

scat19
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
it's in england, not too far from where I was born. had a chance to go through it when I visted couple years back. Fun stuff, and everyone knew how to use it.

Cos
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
The ones I have seen here in calgary are a bit of a joke, single lane, with 4 basic exits, people treat the yield sings as stops, and then the person in the roundabout give way to the stopped person in the entrance.

I am more familiar with the multi lanes ones from Europe and elsewhere, where if you are going to pass more than exit you take the inside lane until you are close to your exit, then you switch to the outside to get out.

are there any like this in Calgary?

If I was ever mayor of calgary I would make it mandatory to renew your DL test every 3 years along with an updated written. carried out by city officials and none of this private bullshit.

Can't count how many times I have heard people "paying" to pass the written and on road exam.

Your right, most are quite small. I live near downtown so there are probably 6 or 7 near my house (the new one near my work in Inglewood, a few in Rosedale near my grandads house, etc.)

The biggest one I know of is in MacKenzie town. I think it is 2 lane.

Driving in Europe really got me to figure it out fast.

pf0sh0
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
The round about in McKenzie towne pisses me off a lot. A lot of people shit the bed when they drive around it. :banghead:

DeeK
03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
the vast majority of them in Calgary are designed like crap, so people drive in them like crap.

But yes, even the few in the city that are built properly, are still full of retarded drivers.

Cos
03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
the vast majority of them in Calgary are designed like crap, so people drive in them like crap.

But yes, even the few in the city that are built properly, are still full of retarded drivers.

They arent the best, but I dont see how the that can cause people to not signal and stop when there is no one coming.

:dunno:

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by scat19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

LOL - grew up using that roundabout! What fun! One of the few roundabouts to confuse even the English. :nut:

The problem with north american roundabouts starts with really crap design. They still insist on one lane (fail), they put pedestrian crossings right on the exits (HUGE fail) and add stupid speed limits (fail) - all of which cause congestion.

Roundabouts are intended to keep traffic flowing at a reasonable speed. They work SO well in Europe - I miss them. Bloody traffic lights are the answer to everything here - I hate it. :banghead:

93VR6
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
For the two lane one at mackenzie I have heard that if you are taking the second exit you can use either the inside our outside lane is this true?

Also wouldn't it make more sense to make the outside lane only used for one exit and then the inside lane for all other exits since that way there is no way a person coming out of the inside lane could possibly hit a car on the outside lane.

inline6turbo
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes the one in Mackenzie Towne is a two laner. The only people who can navigate it properly are the ones who live in the area. It's incredible just how many people have not the slightest clue how they function.

*edit* ^ the outside lane is only for when you're taking the IMMEDIATE exit on the right, if you require any other you must yield and enter the inside lane, and signal to exit at your desired location

GoChris
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 93VR6
For the two lane one at mackenzie I have heard that if you are taking the second exit you can use either the inside our outside lane is this true?

Also wouldn't it make more sense to make the outside lane only used for one exit and then the inside lane for all other exits since that way there is no way a person coming out of the inside lane could possibly hit a car on the outside lane.

It's true in the fact that you can use whatever the fuck lane you want, but you HAVE to yield to the vehicle on the left.

That's where it fails, people use the outside lane (right) to go to the 3rd exit for example, if I want to take the 2nd exit from the inside (left) lane, and someone is on the right, they get in the way and I have every right to take that exit. One of these days I'm going to purposely plow into one of those fucktards and it will be entirely their fault.

GoChris
03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Yes the one in Mackenzie Towne is a two laner. The only people who can navigate it properly are the ones who live in the area. It's incredible just how many people have not the slightest clue how they function.

Too bad this isn't true. Half the people that live in the area still don't have a clue.

inline6turbo
03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

It's true in the fact that you can use whatever the fuck lane you want, but you HAVE to yield to the vehicle on the left.

That's where it fails, people use the outside lane (right) to go to the 3rd exit for example, if I want to take the 2nd exit from the inside (left) lane, and someone is on the right, they get in the way and I have every right to take that exit. One of these days I'm going to purposely plow into one of those fucktards and it will be entirely their fault.

^Sorta wrong

Taken directly from the Calgary Traffic School

How to navigate a roundabout
In a roundabout, the vehicle on the right must
yield to the vehicle on the left. The driver on
the left must activate the right turn signal and
use caution when leaving the circle and crossing
through the outside lane. Traffi c entering the
circle must yield to traffi c already in the circle.
Remember these safety tips:
• Enter into the right-hand lane if you intend to
leave at the fi rst exit point.
• Enter into the left lane if you intend to
proceed to the second exit or beyond.

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/roads/2008_traffic_tips_booklet.pdf

You're not supposed to go around in the outside, but yes yield to everyone on the left

403Gemini
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

Too bad this isn't true. Half the people that live in the area still don't have a clue.

Agree, I drive in that area probably 3-4 times a week for work, then goto kilt probably once a week, the sheer retardation i see on that round about is nuts, and its tons of people going into the residential zones... you cant possibly tell me that is everybodies friends ;) I'm willing to bet most is people who live there that just dont get it. The one thing you need to know : Yield to the vehicle on the left.

That's it! IT'S SIMPLE!

syeve
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
There is round about insanity at the 22x hyw 8 on the way out to brag. Last time I went through, a lady was STOPPED on the inside curb...it was brutal.

RickDaTuner
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by syeve
There is round about insanity at the 22x hyw 8 on the way out to brag. Last time I went through, a lady was STOPPED on the inside curb...it was brutal. The curb that's there to allow semi trailers to go
arround? Lol

Sentry
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
This gif makes it easy to understand...

http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/e/ec/UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

NOTICE THE SIGNALS

THE YIELDING TO TRAFFIC IN THE CIRCLE

THE NOT STOPPING IF THERE IS NO TRAFFIC IN THE CIRCLE

It's really simple.

syeve
03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
The curb that's there to allow semi trailers to go
arround? Lol

Yep...stopped up on that soft crub...signal on...waiting.

I gave her this face - > :facepalm:

GoChris
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

^Sorta wrong

Taken directly from the Calgary Traffic School

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/roads/2008_traffic_tips_booklet.pdf

You're not supposed to go around in the outside, but yes yield to everyone on the left

I was answering a question, from who I quoted, about taking the 2nd exit. So my answer to that question was right. Obviously you would not take the inside lane for exiting immediately.

scat19
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Yep...stopped up on that soft crub...signal on...waiting.

I gave her this face - > :facepalm:

That's hwy22 not 22x :poosie:

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Some animations from the City of Calgary (they should show these on TV):

Turn Left:
http://calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/flash/round_abouts/carleft.swf

Turn right:
http://calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/flash/round_abouts/carright.swf

Straight through:
http://calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/flash/round_abouts/carthru.swf

Or of course - our very own BEYOND.CA (http://www.beyond.ca/how-to-navigate-a-traffic-circle-roundabout/210.html) article on the subject :thumbsup:

94boosted
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Lol that would case 10x more accidents than deerfoot if we had it in Calgary :rofl: It's hard enough for people to be in the correct lane when they are going straight in this city let allone while trying to turn.

Rat Fink
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM

RickDaTuner
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Down here in lethbridge most of the fucktards don't even take the circle and just drive over half of the center part because a lot of the traffic circles are made with very small/almost non-existant curbs.

thats there to allow semis and busses to use the roundabout, their rear wheels will always cut onto that since its to sharp of a turn for them.

Jay911
03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
We call the one out on Highway 22 at Highway 8 the "drunk trap" since it seems to collect/total at least one car a month. They go right through the middle, over the 6" tall curb, thru the landscaped center, and generally either have ripped their front wheels off by that point or come out of the landscaped section and flip the car on the embankment.

There are two in Signal Hill, and technically Saddletowne Circle is one too, even though it's more of a traffic kidney than a traffic circle. The other day, I was going through the one closer to the firehall in Signal Hill and the twit ahead of me locked up her brakes coming down the hill into the circle, with no traffic coming, and then entered the circle and locked it up again at the first exit because someone was coming, about 100 meters away from the circle.

A few weeks ago, someone got caught at the 8x22 circle, and the carnage blocked the southbound lanes approaching the circle. We (the FD, on behalf of the RCMP who were still investigating) had to route southbound traffic down the northbound lanes, alternating it with the northbound traffic (and closing off the other entrances to the circle at the same time). It was messy, and more than one trucker gave us dirty looks or worse ("This is a f'ing stupid place to be blocking the f'ing road, a'holes!!"), but it ended up working out in the end. Except for the guy in an older Toyota 4x4 that stopped to ask directions in the middle of a line of traffic and almost got flattened by a Mullen bed truck hauling oilfield gear.

Cozmanator
03-12-2010, 04:45 AM
There are some in the Lower Mount Royal area, close to 17th... its a gong show , people dont respect ANY type of structure... accidents happen all the time there too. IMO people just dont give a crap, and those that do cant really change anything about it.:facepalm:

Kennyredline
03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
The ones I have seen here in Calgary are a bit of a joke. Single lane, with 4 basic exits. People treat the yield sings as stops, and then the person in the roundabout gives way to the stopped person in the entrance.

I am more familiar with the multi lanes ones from Europe and elsewhere, where if you are going to pass more than one exit you take the inside lane until you are close to your exit, then you switch to the outside to get out.

Are there any like this in Calgary?

If I was ever mayor of Calgary I would make it mandatory to renew your DL and be re tested every 3 years along with an updated written. Carried out by city officials and none of this private bullshit.

If you were mayor of Calgary, you would have no say in what happens with drivers testing, since that's a provincial issue, not municipal.
It is, however, A VERY GOOD IDEA!!!