PDA

View Full Version : I need some help, hit and run drunk driver

eguenther
03-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey guys/gals,
I don't post on here lots but I'm hoping getting the word out will help me, and beyond has a past of catching bad guys. I need some help with finding the person responsible for the total loss of my truck, a 2000 Chev Blazer 2dr. I'm posting this on all the forums I hang out around in hopes something good may come my way. I'll just tell the story.
It happened around 8:50 pm last night(March 10) on Highway 1 East bound between Strathmore and Chestermere, roughly a half kilometer west of the East-bound way scale. I was traveling to Moose Jaw with my brother, girlfriend and 2 dogs. I switch lanes into the passing lane to pass semi truck when I notice a set of headlights oncoming in my lane. I tried to swerve the right to get behind the semi trailer but wasn't fast enough and the oncoming car clipped the rear driver side of my truck. The impact along with my swerve put the truck into a fishtail. Around the moment of impact the semi driver hit his brakes. My truck slid to the right, ass end first, front facing to the left, across the driving lane onto the shoulder. I corrected the slide and the truck whipped to face the right. At this point I think I was along side the semi trailer wheels(because the trucker slowed down). I correct again to keep the truck from going into the ditch, the truck whips back to face left and the front of the truck goes under the trailer in front of the wheels. We then were dragged down the highway, with the nose of my truck stuck under trailer/wheels. Once the tires get over the front of the Blazer, we slide off into the ditch to a stop.
The lady who hit us had stopped and turned around. The semi truck pulled over after the truck was out from underneath the trailer. One witness had parked ahead of us, behind the semi, on the shoulder, the second parked behind the us, and behind her the drunk parked.
I am still in my Blazer making sure my dogs are ok when I hear this lady outside saying "I'm the one you hit driving in my lane!" I go from worried about the well-being of my family to pissed the fuck off. I jump out of the truck see my brother, who hit his head/face on the side window, arguing with her and yelling how she smelled like booz when I step in and start screaming at her that this is a divided highway, not a 2 way traffic road. I had to point across the road to show her the ditch and other vehicles traveling West on the other side of it. This immediately shuts her up, and I hear Candace crying, so I run over to her sitting on the ground beside the truck to look after her. My brother went to get the license plate number, but thought it was the vehicle that parked in front of us when he was distracted by the other witness checking to see if he was OK, since no-one was watching her now, and just realizing this is her fault she got back in her car and took off East-bound. While arguing with the lady the first witness that parked ahead of us, went off to talk to the truck driver who pulled up to the weigh scale to be off the highway.

So now, this truck I just bought with a loan which I have made 1 payment on is wrote off. I didn't have collision(which to my understanding was only if I caused the accident) coverage and my insurance company tells me that since they have no one to go after, I'm fucked, my bank says the same thing, no insurance on the loan either. My only hope is to find this lady or try and go after the truckers insurance for braking, if he hadn't I wouldn't have hit him in the fish tail, I was still behind him. It wasn't until he braked that I was beside him. It's grasping at straws, but I have to try. As far as injuries go, I'm covered for all that.

We didn't even get a description of the vehicle, I think it was a white car, from the white paint on my truck. There should be blue paint on her car from my blazer. The second witness grabbed the first 2 and maybe 3rd letter of her license plate. The drunk said she was from Saskatchewan and this was her first time on these roads. She was tall thin, white, brown, crimped hair, glasses, wearing jeans and a leather jacket from the eighties and a pink smartphone(full face screen looked like). She looked like an eighties crack whore. If anyone knows anything please come forward, I am out $6,000 and she could have killed all 3 of us and my 2 dogs which are like kids to me. People like this need to be caught, judged and Punished before someone dies because of her.

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
:thumbsdow That sucks - I wish you luck!

Have you reported to police?

eguenther
03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you! Yes, they were called by one of the witnesses.

rizfarmer
03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
wow pretty unbelievable how she managed to sneak away on you.

revelations
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
What a sad story, I guess the impaired driver turn from a side road somewhere and didnt take the proper side of the divided highway - not that there arent 3 dozen signs posted "NO ENTRY"

OP, not sure about your insurance but because you had witnesses, some insurance companies carry a policy for hit and run cases where there is proper evidence of the collision.

This is/was the case in BC for eg. , with ICBC.

Also, the trucker is in no way responsible for what happened, you struck him and ended up under the trailer (scary). The fact that he braked was a normal reaction.

JustinGTP
03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I was under the impression that if your car was purchased with a loan, the bank or lender expects you to have comprehensive insurance so that their asset is covered?

Anyhow, she must of fled because she was drunk/no insurance/no registration or unlicensed. I wish you luck, this is definitely shitty.

bignerd
03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Only if the vehicle is the security for the loan. You could get an un-secured line of credit and purchase a vehicle and not be required to keep insurance on it.

revelations
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
OP is this the correct location of the accident? I have you just west of the N/S road called "boundary road".

Its likely the road that she turned WB from, and simply picked the wrong lane. The fact that she headed EB right after suggests that she is from the area.

If so, I'd go back and drive up and down the road. Chances are slim, but you might be able to spot the offending vehicle in one of the homes along the road.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4426286516_a2ddede75d_o.jpg

Rusted Bumper
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear it. It's a shame she was able to get away in the commotion.

In regards to the notes about insurance, if he doesn't carry collision, there is nothing his insurance company will do for him, unfortunately. He has Section A (liability), Section B (accident benefits) and if he purchased it, comprehensive coverage (ie not collision). Otherwise, he is self insured.

2Valve0
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Do you remember what her vehicle looks like at all? Color size? anything? Remember what the lady looks like? I would start going to chestemere, strathmore and seeing if you can find the vehicle or a vehicle with damage on the front end. Since she was under the influence on a wednesday, check the pubs/bars see if you come up with anything.

eguenther
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by revelations
OP is this the correct location of the accident? I have you just west of the N/S road called "boundary road".

Its likely the road that she turned WB from, and simply picked the wrong lane. The fact that she headed EB right after suggests that she is from the area.

If so, I'd go back and drive up and down the road. Chances are slim, but you might be able to spot the offending vehicle in one of the homes along the road.

Very close yes, it was East of Boundary Road I believe, there are two towns, one north, one south of Highway1 that are east of that road. I have the same thoughts, I'm going there tomorrow and asking all the gas stations and bars to look at there cameras around the time of the accident.

The bank did not require me to have collision on the vehicle. If this was a regular accident where the at-fault party is recorded life would be fine, but right now, there is no one to be held accountable.

I never seen the vehicle, but from what everyone gathers it was a white car, we did see the lady up close and have a description of her. My brother is coming with me tomorrow to go look around.

eguenther
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
PICTURES

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=208116&id=638000147&saved#!/photo.php?pid=5597242&id=638000147&fbid=399716260147

Disoblige
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear.. Hopefully something turns up, probably from police.

It would be a huge plus if any of the witnesses knew what type of vehicle it was.

IRL
03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
You might have a case with the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act, read it over and see if any of that applies to you. It is for injury claims...but I am sure after your accident, you or your passengers may be able to claim an injury via this act.

http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/mvac/Pages/default.aspx

Markham
03-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Feel for ya, buddy, was hit by a drunk in 1993 - in front of a freaking funeral home while they were loading the casket in the hearse! The funeral directors had to chase down the drunk and drag him back to the accident scene. Hope you catch her and they throw the book at her...some jail time called for I'm thinking.

rob the knob
03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
can you maybe write article in paper. slim chance reader may help.

Originally posted by Markham
Feel for ya, buddy, was hit by a drunk in 1993 - in front of a freaking funeral home while they were loading the casket in the hearse! The funeral directors had to chase down the drunk and drag him back to the accident scene. Hope you catch her and they throw the book at her...some jail time called for I'm thinking.

tom_9109
03-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe blame your broker for not being clear on what they sold you and that you expected to have your vehicle covered in this situation. Then sue the broker.

jahobo
03-14-2010, 04:41 AM
sorry to hear dude.

i was also hit by a drunk driver back 6 years ago. mine was on macleod trail. once we pulled into the station on southland. he came out smelling of alcohol, said he was a well respected doctor and wanted to leave the scene. i said no wait for the cops, witnesses showed up and we got all his info. he actually took of on foot when me and the witnesses were going over his info. guy ran into the jack astors, and started to drink more so the cops could not determine how drunk he was during the accident. luckily they caught him.

i hope it ends the same way for you and they find this lady.

doctor, crackwhore, hockey player, mother of 4. doesnt matter who you are,you shouldnt be drinking and driving.

cancer man
03-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Actually i believe yhere is a provincial fund for hit and run especially if you have witness's.I think it runs thru Victoms of Violence. I t used to be run by the Alberta government.

tom_9109
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Actually i believe yhere is a provincial fund for hit and run especially if you have witness's.I think it runs thru Victoms of Violence. I t used to be run by the Alberta government.

That is for bodily injury only.

eguenther
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Maybe blame your broker for not being clear on what they sold you and that you expected to have your vehicle covered in this situation. Then sue the broker.

This has crossed my mind, I'm waiting for a lawyer I know to get back from holiday's. The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims act is also another option, Candace did hurt her neck, x-rays and our chiropractor confirm it, so we would be able to sue the Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act.
Candace is writing a letter to the radio stations right now and we'll probably send it to the papers. I put up some fliers in a couple bars/pubs and gas stations in Strathmore offering a $1000 reward. I also posted up a letter on Kijiji in every Sask town.(she said she was from Sask). I'll probably post it in Alta too.
After talking to the tow-truck driver(who is also on the volunteer fire dept.) and the investigating officer, they both confirmed that there were multiple phone calls of someone traveling on the wrong side of the high-way. My neighbor here in Red Deer is a retired Chief of Police, he gave me the idea of suing the detachment for police negligence. I mean why were they not out on there looking for this person?
I'll look into the Victims of Violence, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act use to cover property damages but not any more.
Thank you, everyone for well-wishes and advice, and for keeping an eye out, even if the chances are slim.
-Eric

Wrinkly
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Why waste precious time writing letters? Make some phone calls to radio stations instead. The faster you get this out there, the more likely someone is to recall seeing anything around the time of the incident.

Masked Bandit
03-14-2010, 03:46 PM
That's frickin brutal. All those people around and nobody thought to get a plate? I feel for ya man. Who did you have your insurance policy with?

tom_9109
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Maybe call SGI and explain what happened and give them the year range, make model and wait for that person to put a claim in.

eguenther
03-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Candace sent off the letter's, I'll call some media tomorrow.
My Insurance company is Intact, used to be ING. I'm going back to Strathmore tomorrow again, my brother and I are going to look at the crash site and look for mirror/side marker, pieces of the woman's car. Hopefully get a side marker with a DOT number.

codetrap
03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Are there camera's at the intersections? Maybe some footage of the car going the wrong way?

Kloubek
03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow... scary shit OP. I'm glad you and your loved ones (dogs included) were ok.

I think the suggestion to check Boundary is an excellent one. It is possible she was drunk and didn't know where she was going, but it is more likely that if she did indeed come from one of these roads that she lives in the area. (Despite being from Saskatchewan). I would put an ad in the local paper to see if anyone can help you out.