PDA

View Full Version : Best handling front wheel drive car?

Deetz
03-12-2010, 01:17 AM
I have been toying with this idea for a while now.

I there any particular front wheel drive car out there that is better than the rest ( Integra Type R maybe? Others? )

Curious for peoples opinions???

Kardon
03-12-2010, 01:19 AM
apparently the type sh preludes are pretty impressive for what they are.

Eleanor
03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Cobalt SS

Team_Mclaren
03-12-2010, 01:21 AM
ITR, Renault Megan R26.R, Focus RS

drewb
03-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I have heard the new cobalt ss is very impressive for fwd... But why would anyone actually want fwd??

Mibz
03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by drewb
But why would anyone actually want fwd??

Destinova403
03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
apparently the type sh preludes are pretty impressive for what they are.

ATTS in action... its what they use for the SH AWD on the new Acuras...

but yeah... the Cobalt SS/TC = fastest production FWD on a track.

Cozmanator
03-12-2010, 04:25 AM
From cars that I personally drove, I must say the vw gti handles really well for FWD car. The mazdaspeed3 is good too, but I found it gave off too much tourqe steer.. I love the feeling, but not a desirable trait. I been in a Cobalt ss, pretty cheap ass interior and thrifty.. its damn quick though.

But yah VW gti is my choice :D

ianmcc
03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Both the Focus SVT and the Contour SVT are excellent handling FWD cars-unfortunately both are down on power.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-12-2010, 08:02 AM
The new mini S can pull a 0.90g on a skid pad, thats really good, about the same as a type R, but with 9 more air bags and features.

1barA4
03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Cozmanator
From cars that I personally drove, I must say the vw gti handles really well for FWD car. The mazdaspeed3 is good too, but I found it gave off too much tourqe steer.. I love the feeling, but not a desirable trait. I been in a Cobalt ss, pretty cheap ass interior and thrifty.. its damn quick though.

But yah VW gti is my choice :D

The best handling FWD I've driven so far has been my friend's 97 ITR, but as with any vehicle, it's all about compromises...

For a modern FWD, the GTI isn't bad at all but has savage understeer under heavy throttle in tight corners (combination of the stock suspension and too much torque for the stock tires), but otherwise it's pretty nimble despite its weight. That and it has the best interior of any brand new car I've been in under $35k.

EDIT - skidpad isn't everything though IMO, it's more of a measure of the absolute lateral grip of the tires (in part affected by body roll/weight transfer thanks to the suspension but tires seem to play the biggest role in that number)....slalom or figure 8 is more reflective of the actual handling, but neither slalom nor skidpad should be looked at alone in determining "handling"....plus there are cars with high limits that just don't "feel" like they handle well...then there are cars that "feel" awesome but actually have crappy numbers....

QuasarCav
03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Our classic Mini is the best handling FWD that I've driven. It never understeers and is very neutral around tight corners. You can induce lift throttle oversteer very easily and it never feels shitty like the modern FWD do. I'm sure the 40hp has something to do with it as well.

ITRs are very nice but you could probably come close with some suspension and chassis mods on a hatch. A thick rear sway was the best handling improvement I made on my old GSR.

r3ccOs
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I had a buddy who put an LSD his pretty much stock Neon ACR and it handled very well and he was a very good autoxer

kope
03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Ive seen a few track videos of the TC Cobalt SS eating a few EVo's / STIs (stock form) my vote is for the CobaltSS / ITR :D for FWD

cooperS
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
+1 for Cooper S

powerslave
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by cooperS
+1 for Cooper S

If we're playing that game I'll +1 for Prelude SH :)

I've read numerous reviews suggesting the Corrado being one of the best handling FWD cars. In some ways I liked my old Corrado better than the Prelude, the fact that there wasn't as much overhang past the front or the rear wheels really kept it in check in corners.

Neil4Speed
03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I have heard that the Prelude SH as being the best handling FWDer, and from first hand, I was really impressed with the Mini Cooper S - Honestly a really fun driver.

The 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S with the 6-spd was suposed to be a stab at a more sporty car, competing with the 330ci. It had a pretty peppy 260hp motor, and had a LSD if I am not mistaken. A consideration perhaps if you can find one of these beautiful rare beasts.

texasnick
03-12-2010, 10:27 AM
No mention of God's chariot anywhere?!:poosie:

jk

I vote
ITR
Cooper-S

IMO the Mini Cooper S handled better than the ITR's I've driven. It's a very tight car.

HondaKid
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Mini Cooper S and Honda Fit Sport.

93VR6
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and vote for my car sentra spec v, Auto-x'd a couple timeslast year and can beat new mini's and 07+ civic si's.

Redlyne_mr2
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
A stock ITR is a beautiful thing as is a middly modded EG civic.

tom_9109
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Realtime Acura has been very successful with both the Integra Type R and the RSX Type S.

bituerbo
03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Mazdaspeed Protoge (never driven the MS3) and Sentra SER Spec V are the two best-handling FWD cars I've driven.

Quinsonaaa
03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
gti ftw

Sugarphreak
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM

whiskas
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
^^^

AutoX results are the best benchmark since it demands the most of a cars handling.

An ITR will always spank a Cooper with comparable drivers. Cobalts aren't really that great for autox due to limited tire sizing and lack of camber adjustment.

heavyD
03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Focus RS then the rest.

n1zm0
03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
A stock ITR is a beautiful thing

+1, i've driven a good handful of all CDM years, modded and stock, i'll have to say that i much prefer a stock ITR (when i mean stock, i mean not even a K&N oem box filter stock) with a good set of tires over a modded balls to the wall one, everything just clicks perfectly when you run them through their paces.

dansmith11
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
06+ civic SI gets my vote.

add a rear sway bar and some front camber bolts, and your golden.

by far the most fun FWD car ive ever driven.

gti, speed3, cobalt SS, all have more balls.. but they arent nearly as fun. they FEEL a lot more FWD then the civic does. the civic feels light and nimble. pretty neutral stock, and with a rear sway and some front camber.. it takes a lot of work just to keep the damn thing from flying off the track, haha you can make them VERY oversteer happy with the right alignment.

and while i dont think comparing lap times/race performance is a very good comparision unless you have the same driver in both cars.. i have been able to outlap STI's and a few other "Faster" cars in my SI.. they are VERY capable cars in the right hands.

heavyD
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
06+ civic SI gets my vote.

add a rear sway bar and some front camber bolts, and your golden.

by far the most fun FWD car ive ever driven.

gti, speed3, cobalt SS, all have more balls.. but they arent nearly as fun. they FEEL a lot more FWD then the civic does. the civic feels light and nimble. pretty neutral stock, and with a rear sway and some front camber.. it takes a lot of work just to keep the damn thing from flying off the track, haha you can make them VERY oversteer happy with the right alignment.

and while i dont think comparing lap times/race performance is a very good comparision unless you have the same driver in both cars.. i have been able to outlap STI's and a few other "Faster" cars in my SI.. they are VERY capable cars in the right hands.

They are okay (I sense you haven't had the opportunity to drive too many better cars) but Integra ITR is still the best handling and overall FWD car Honda has ever produced.

wardpr68
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Cobalt SS Turbo by far... when I drove it I could not believe it. Very impressive car for the price (other then interior)

Also the Infiniti G20 is very impressive for a 4 door luxury car.

Deetz
03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Hmm, some interesting input so far :thumbsup:

It looks like a lot of people have a hard time struggling between speed and handling....thy are two different things

A2VR6
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I personally think EF Civic SI or ITR or Cooper S... although I've heard alot of people say the VW Corrado was pretty good for a FWD car... although i think it is a little too front heavy.

boarderfatty
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I had a friend a couple years ago looking at getting into SCCA solo autox'ing. it was a factory spec race where everything had to be as is from the factory ) modification besides slight suspension adjustments and tire compounds. The field was dominated by ITR's and Contour SVT's.

I love reading this article and getting a hard on dreaming about the minty fresh ITR I want to own
2010 civic si vs 5000 mile 1998 ITR (http://www.insideline.com/features/1998-acura-integra-type-r-vs-2010-honda-civic-si.html)

Cody D
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Lotus Elan?

Deetz
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
But why would anyone actually want fwd??

Taken from Edmunds Inside Line

"The 2010 Civic Si is fast through the slalom at 69.7 mph with the stability control turned off. The old Integra Type R, however, is absolutely scalding. With no stability control to turn off, it blasted through the slalom at a stunning 71.8 mph. That's just a little bit better than the last Porsche Boxster S we tested and it's more than 3 mph faster than a 2010 Camaro SS. Some exotics and the Corvette ZR1 will beat it through the slalom, but not much else."

For stock cars, i'd say that a front wheel drive can be a fun ride :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, i like rwd too :D

Disoblige
03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Hmm.. damn this thread has made me interested in a stock ITR.

Travel_Dude
03-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Any type-r honda or vw gti?

rp_guy
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I have heard that the Prelude SH as being the best handling FWDer, and from first hand, I was really impressed with the Mini Cooper S - Honestly a really fun driver.

The 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S with the 6-spd was suposed to be a stab at a more sporty car, competing with the 330ci. It had a pretty peppy 260hp motor, and had a LSD if I am not mistaken. A consideration perhaps if you can find one of these beautiful rare beasts.

i have one. it's farrrr too heavy to be considered a good handler. i would say it's a decent handling GT car..

the 3G TL has the updated J32A3 with the same trans w/ LSD (better chassis and brakes too), and the 7G Accord has the J30A4 with the same trans, not sure if it had the LSD though, and lighter chassis

gpomp
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
ITR hands down.

Both the MKV and MKVI GTI's understeer pretty bad, they should not be in this thread.

atgilchrist
03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
ITR hands down.

Both the MKV and MKVI GTI's understeer pretty bad, they should not be in this thread.

Have you driven the MKVI? The new differential virtually eliminates understeer. I drove one this morning, and was blown away....

While powering out of the corner, it’s almost impossible to make the GTI understeer. No matter how much throttle you pile on, the GTI steers exactly where you want it to go with minimal intervention from the traction control. XDS has totally transformed the GTI, turning it from a hot hatch that rivals all other front wheel drive hot hatches, into a hot hatch that rivals ALL other hot hatches.
source (http://www.caradvice.com.au/53151/volkswagen-golf-gti-road-test-and-review/)

JustinGTP
03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Cooper S + LSD ftw :)

gpomp
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Have you driven the MKVI? The new differential virtually eliminates understeer. I drove one this morning, and was blown away....

source (http://www.caradvice.com.au/53151/volkswagen-golf-gti-road-test-and-review/) I've test driven both the DSG and manual. I think the Speed 3 handles better.

Hatchback Hero
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
MazdaSpeed3 hands down! Corners as if you were attached to rails and makes Deerfoot Trail feel like a parking lot. There is a wee bit of torque steer but it's quite subtle.

Runner up... Something about that wishbone suspension... CRX!, as long as you maintain that raw lawnmower horsepower.

94boosted
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Cobalt SS

I have heard the new cobalt ss is very impressive for fwd... But why would anyone actually want fwd??

Originally posted by Destinova403

but yeah... the Cobalt SS/TC = fastest production FWD on a track.

Originally posted by kope
Ive seen a few track videos of the TC Cobalt SS eating a few EVo's / STIs (stock form) my vote is for the CobaltSS / ITR :D for FWD

Originally posted by wardpr68
Cobalt SS Turbo by far... when I drove it I could not believe it. Very impressive car for the price (other then interior)

+1

The 2008-2010 Cobalt SS Turbo's to be more specific.

I may be a bit biased as I have one but the reason I bought my car is because it truly is the fastest FWD Sport Compact available for purchase today less the Renault Megan R26R, the dumbest "street" car ever made, after the Cobalt SS shattered the World Front Drive Record on the Nurburgring by 13 seconds (previously held by the Mazdaspeed 3 I believe) Renault got there panties in a knot and produced a "street" car with plastic windows, no A/C, no radio, a roll cage, race seats that edged out the Cobalt SS on the Nurburgring, however the Cobalt SS is still the fastest FWD Sport Compact available in North America and the Fastest FWD Stock Sport Compact ever (that can be lived with as a daily driver). And if GM ever did go back to Germany with John Heinricy (the test driver that did ring the SS around the track in 8:22, and the CTS-V and ZR1) and the Cobalt SS Turbo which now comes with an optional GM Stage 1 kit which boosts power to ~280WHP/310WTQ the Cobalt SS would rightfully take back it's title from the stupid Renault R26R and it would do it with radio, AC, glass windows and normal seats lol but that's a different story.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

This car was actually developed on the Nurburgring and the GM Performance division used a Mitsubishi EVO 7 Chassis to help them achieve the great handling this car has. And I must say it worked this car not only walked all over any other FWD car ever made (stock not modified) around a track it actually showed up a Subaru STi, Mitsubishi EVO X, Lexus ISF, Audi S5, Honda S2000, Lotus Elise, Challenger SRT-8.... around Virginia International Speedway (proof: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/in-the-autobog-garage-2009-chevy-cobalt-ss-turbo/) which actually surprised the crap out of car and driver, when I read that article I had to test drive the car and when I did I was in :love: :love: :love: And it did this all on the sub-par tires that GM puts on it from the factory (Continental Sport Contact 2's) The car comes with launch control, a competitive driving mode, Brembo brakes and plenty of other goodies that make it an absolute charm in the corners. Oh and it to does pull 0.9G's of grip for those who think numbers are the end all be all.

So this is undisputably the fastest STOCK FWD car you can buy if anyone wants to argue about that I've got all the proof so bring it on (I have never seen this car go directly up against a new Focus RS so I can't comment on that) ;)