PDA

View Full Version : iVTEC S2000

texasnick
03-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Saw this posted in another forum and figured it was worth mentioning. It's a bit old, but I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1001_honda_cam_tuning/index.html

A company called Design Craft Fabrication managed to successfully install a system similar to the VTC mechanism found in k series Honda motors, into an F20C.

"Typical power gains should be in the 20-30 percent range, but improvements of up to 40 percent or more have been seen versus having the intake cam timing completely deactivated (as is the case with regular VTEC)," he explained prior to testing, "Along with the increase in low-end torque, turbocharged applications should see a sizable reduction in spool time and an even greater increase in mid-range torque and power".

Anyone who has messed around a bit with the F series (F20C, F22C) knows that the head is amazing, and can flow a rediculous amount of air for a 2.0/2.2 NA 4 cylinder.

Anyone who has messed around a bit with the K series knows that VTC has the potential to turn a very peaky on/off style motor into one that has amazing mid range power and effeciency.

Combining the best of both worlds, to have an amazing N/A 4 cylinder powerplant? Priceless.

This makes me want an AP1 now

:love:

Mr_ET
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I read the article a few months ago and they claimed a 90whp gain after the install. The car was also turbo and was retuned.

I question the validity of the gains. I know it will see some gains but I am not sure it is worth the price and effort for the gains.

texasnick
03-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah it's quite ambiguous lol. At first I was like holy shit 90 whp gains from VTC? And then I saw that they also installed a turbocharger and tuned the car.

I really hate it when people mention "gains" from a system on a car they changed, when they changed 2-3 other things at the same time. Oh well, their money, their time, their decision.

Even if there was a 10 whp peak gain, and 10+ wtq throughout the rpm range, I think it would be worth it.

It's seriously amazing how much of a difference VTC can make on an engine's low/mid range power.

Now people on k20a are getting all wet fantasizing about an iVTEC f2k civic w/ ITB's lol:nut: