PDA

View Full Version : Researcher barred from receiving funding

bball2
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Full story: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/researcher+barred+from+receiving+funding/2680187/story.html

Excerpt:

Canada's largest research-funding organization has slapped an extraordinary ban on a star scientist who is accused of "plagiarism" and spending up to $150,000 in government grant money on custom car parts, televisions, home entertainment systems and other equipment "inconsistent" with his research proposals.

Officials at the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) say they have barred the scientist from funding "indefinitely." They will not name him.

But Canwest News Service has learned the researcher is Daniel Kwok, by all accounts a brilliant engineer at the University of Calgary whose career has been nurtured by the research council for years. He has collected almost $2 million in federal grants and fellowships.

Looks like it's going to be a pretty big controversy. I had Dr. Kwok for thermodynamics last year and I thought he was a pretty good prof, weird to read about this story this morning.

rage2
03-13-2010, 06:45 PM
AMG wheels FTW!

colt22
03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
nice..

real nice.

XylathaneGTR
03-13-2010, 09:00 PM
He taught me Thermodynamics and he's actually a pretty good prof. I was pretty floored this morning when I read about it...pretty surprising to say the least. It's a little surprising that the UofC hired him and acquired funding for him when he just up-and-left the UofA amidst the investigation...Did the UofC not bother to look into why he left the UofA...did they just not care?

Last time I was in his office I noticed he wore a Rolex...I wonder if he hustled that from NSERC too :rofl:

jefferson2
03-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I thought it was weird he hid his face from the camera instead of showing he had nothing to hide.

Kinda seems like he knows he's guilty...

turbotrip
03-14-2010, 01:46 AM
haha the kwok! i noticed his nice watches a few times too; but last i remember he was driving some average car like an accord or maxima, i guess he kept the nice ones at home lol

Nusc
03-14-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm curious about the academic misconduct. He published at five times the rate of his peers but no further information.

Financial misconduct, blah.

But his ordeal certainly has an impact on the morale of this univerisity.

kertejud2
03-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Did the UofC not bother to look into why he left the UofA...did they just not care?

They probably figured "who cares why he's available, if we don't get him somebody else will".

Seems par for the course at U of C.

dirtsniffer
03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
fuck, kwok has been one of the best profs ive had in engg.

Neil4Speed
03-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Last time I was in his office I noticed he wore a Rolex...I wonder if he hustled that from NSERC too :rofl:

Written off as a "time keeping device" lol.

I was under the impression that the accountability of research funds was pretty nominal. Obviously this guy got greedy stupid with the "AMG rims/Exhaust", however, I know a few profs who bought their kids laptops/ipods/LCD's using research money.

bjstare
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I wonder if he's any relation to the Elec engg prof we have here at UVic named Harry Kwok? (Yep, you read that right, Harry Kwok haha)

dandia89
03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
fuck, kwok has been one of the best profs ive had in engg.
man you must of had some shitty profs. he doesn't really care for teaching he just gives you the notes and examples that are on the exam. good for getting an A, but i can't say i learned alot in his classes

chkolny541
03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I wonder if he's any relation to the Elec engg prof we have here at UVic named Harry Kwok? (Yep, you read that right, Harry Kwok haha)
HAHAHHAA thats f'ing awesome!!!

flipstah
03-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

They probably figured "who cares why he's available, if we don't get him somebody else will".

Seems par for the course at U of C.

:werd:

That's how we ended up with Harvey.

First it was administrative screw-ups. Now it's hiring professors without doing a background check...

Stay classy, UofC. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
03-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Nusc
05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
So what happened to him now?

colinxx235
05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
^

Not sure, he finished off the whole semester with our class, glad he did because I sniped an A+ haha =)