PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes G500

DeSi
12-03-2003, 10:20 AM
I heard that the g500 were previously made by some austrian company before mercedes took it over, does anybody know about this. Secondly how do you think it compares with the rangerover, i know the rangerover is a tad safer cus it has a lower center of gravity.....which one would you rather get?

rc2002
12-03-2003, 10:27 AM
The G500 is :bigpimp:

But the price tag on the cheapest one is $100K. And the G55 is $150K... A lot of money to be spending on a box on wheels. You could buy two hummers with that kind of $$$.

C4S
12-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
But the price tag on the cheapest one is $100K. And the G55 is $150K... A lot of money to be spending on a box on wheels. You could buy two hummers with that kind of $$$.
I back you ! beside the "Chicken feet" logo .. that is nothing can talk about this BOX ! (if you off road every min, that is diff.)
It was a OK truck for 15 yr ago standard... (it is a "leftover" from BENZ, but silly America like it ! :dunno: )
Can't even compare to the NEW RANGE ROVER, that is the Best luxury SUV now, and it is still sort of" build from BMW ! they drive awesome too ! I was so surprise ! but it is under Ford now, and resale value is always a joke.
For the money, can buy a X5 4.8iS (under$100K) or $140K can buy a Cayenne Turbo.

Look at the resale value of a G class, that is a shame for a Chicken Feet company.:thumbsdow

Alpine Autowerks
12-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DeSi
I heard that the g500 were previously made by some austrian company before mercedes took it over, does anybody know about this. Secondly how do you think it compares with the rangerover, i know the rangerover is a tad safer cus it has a lower center of gravity.....which one would you rather get?

They have always been made by Steyr which is a Canadian company (it was euro owned till a few years ago).

Id rather have the panzerwagen in the woods rather that the cream puff designed by revolving door owners/engineers/parts bin POS the rover will always be.

http://www.magnasteyr.com/

bigboom
12-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

you said that you hated the car...now you are saying it is pimp?? make up your mind!!!

C4S
12-03-2003, 11:57 AM
In fact, It is so temp to buy a nice second handed one !
There are few of them around, 2002 low kms for $70K, that is very tempting ! :D
$ 100K new in MSRP, and more then $10K off on a 2003 model from dealer ( I am sure some rebate from Benz Canada, Benz and BMW only get 7-9 % make up on car, how can they discount that much ?)
:rofl:

sandman
12-03-2003, 12:05 PM
id take the range, the G500 is too, iono, not a fan of the looks of that car one bit...its an aerodynamic brick...
IMO id hav a LX470, or if one does hit the market a bmw "X7"

C4S
12-03-2003, 12:15 PM
The Next generation BMW X5 will offer a " Long Wheel base" version, can sit 7(or8) in 2007/2008 model, (270Hp I-6 and 330Hp V8 ? ) the X7 project is toasted .. :burnout:

turboMiata
12-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
[B]
Id rather have the panzerwagen in the woods rather that the cream puff designed by revolving door owners/engineers/parts bin POS the rover will always be.

OK, but I never get lost in the woods because I can always follow my trail of oil back to the highway.

:guns: :rofl: :rofl:

girlRACER
12-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Yes I was surprised at the depreciation of those cars! I didn't like them at first but then it grew on me. They're :bigpimp:

DeSi
12-03-2003, 08:52 PM
the thing is the rangerover has better offroad capabalities and a lower center of gravity, but the g500 is pimped. arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZorroAMG
12-03-2003, 09:33 PM
The G class is such a harsh vehicle to drive, it is a pimp looking ride, but there is absolutely NO comfort. All the negatives of a race car, with NONE of the positives...unless you get a G55 AMG

SwitchBlade
12-03-2003, 11:57 PM
The G series is a fucking bitch to clean lots of cracks and crevasses. I had a chance to drive both of them i would say the G is built better for offroad. You can change the drivetrain setup whereas the landrover that i drove couldnt. The landrover is a pretty tight ride, i like it more then the G series. Both are sweet in either case.

E36M3
12-04-2003, 01:17 AM
Have you actually driven one? I think it is a pretty plush ride myself.. I can't imagine thinking that it is uncomfortable.. it is basically a raised S Class.

The G55 is harsh, but you can always swap out the G55 springs for the ones from the G500 and get a more compliant ride.

Negatives of a race car? like 18" of ground clearance, room for 5, 4WD, and every luxury feature imaginable?

Not sure what you mean.. I think you're bench racing or something.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
The G class is such a harsh vehicle to drive, it is a pimp looking ride, but there is absolutely NO comfort. All the negatives of a race car, with NONE of the positives...unless you get a G55 AMG

E36M3
12-04-2003, 01:18 AM
The new one that is discounted 10k at Lone Star is a 2002, which has doesn't have a lot of the nice updates in the 2003.. unless you're talking about somewhere else, but I've been to both Hyatt and Lone Star recently and I didn't see any discounted 2003s.

Originally posted by C4S
$ 100K new in MSRP, and more then $10K off on a 2003 model from dealer ( I am sure some rebate from Benz Canada, Benz and BMW only get 7-9 % make up on car, how can they discount that much ?)

Stratus_Power
12-04-2003, 01:20 AM
he is probably about that ONE G500 selling at Prestigue auto in trader from Ontario or something for like 78k

rage2
12-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I rode in a few G500's and the ride was fine. Typical SUV ride. The interior is a bit cramped for a vehicle that size though... maybe I'm just fat? The glowing doorsills are pimp!

E36M3
12-04-2003, 01:24 AM
The G Class Mercedes are produced in Austria, and assembled by hand (to a larger extent then even the Rolls Royce). The engines (at least the two engines available in North America) are hand assembled by AMG and put into the cars in the Austrian factory.

The Austrian operation (in Graz) is a joint venture and has been essentially the same arrangement for 20+ years.

The Range Rover is probably a superior vehicle overall.. It offers a slightly more luxurious interior, BMW engineering, great (certainly sufficient for any normal human) offroad capabilities, and a great driving experience (for an SUV).

I bought a G after driving pretty much everything, and it was based mostly on emotion.. I just really liked the total feel of the G more than the Range Rover.

As far as deprectiion goes, I'd expect anything in the class to suck. Porsche Cayenne Turbos, Gs and Range Rover all get raped on resale, so really smart people would buy them a year or two old :)

Luckily for me, the IRS is paying me to drive the G, so I didn't really care.

The Cayenne is a great car, but has a cheap feeling interior and just doesn't possess the refinement that you get out of the Range Rover or Mercedes. I got kind of confused by it, and decided to wait a few years to see where they go with it.

E36M3
12-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Seems funny that you think the interior is cramped after driving an SLK :)

I've got an C240 as a loaner at the moment and feel totally clausterphobic.

Originally posted by rage2
I rode in a few G500's and the ride was fine. Typical SUV ride. The interior is a bit cramped for a vehicle that size though... maybe I'm just fat? The glowing doorsills are pimp!

girlRACER
12-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2
maybe I'm just fat?

:werd: .........:rofl: :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2003, 01:45 AM
3 Torsen diffs! :thumbsup:

DeSi
12-04-2003, 07:57 AM
ive gotten a chance to drive the new rangerovers and it was a pretty nice ride. I'm going down to mercedes in a week or two to test drive the g500, i guess i'll have to see then.

ZorroAMG
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I am hardly a Bench Racer E36M3...I am simply stating my opinion of the ride, and YES I have been in both the G500 and G55. Oh, and maybe you should re-read my post regarding the race car comment...stiff ride with truck handling is not exactly a good thing...:rolleyes:

DeSi
12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
i hear that the g500 is exceptionally comfortable, we'll thats atleast expected from a mercedes.

E36M3
12-04-2003, 08:40 PM
I think it is anyway. I haven't owned any other Mercedes, but I've driven most of them.. the ride is no less compliant than the 03 C240 I was driving yesterday (which says something for a truck), and it is 1000x times more comfortable inside.

The G55 has a stiff ride, but nothing like a race car.. I have driven an E36 M3 for 80k miles, so I know what a stiff ride is like.

i hear that the g500 is exceptionally comfortable, we'll thats atleast expected from a mercedes.