PDA

View Full Version : Ordering eyewear online

frozenrice
03-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm want to get my next pair of glasses and/or contacts online from one of the sites recommended on here. I know I need to go in for an eye exam for the prescription, but how do I go about getting a proper fitment for glasses? I don't know if I would trust the accuracy if I tried measuring the distance between the pupils myself.
For obvious reasons, it's unlikely that Lenscrafters or any place like that would do that for you.
Anybody have any names of eye doctors that will give those measurements? I know a majority of eye doctors out there sell eyewear too so I'm looking to see if there are any recommendations of ones that won't have a problem especially if they don't sell eyewear.

bimmere92
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I am interested in this as well...

Proyecto2000
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I got an eye exam at downtown visioncare and I asked them for the PD measurements and they gave them to me. Now I ordered a set of glasses from http://www.giarre.com and saved myself $300, hopefully they turn out good.:dunno:

Rat Fink
03-14-2010, 11:35 PM

core_upt
03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I just found www.smartbuyglasses.ca - I'm looking for a pair of Rx sunglasses and they priced out at $299, as opposed to $154 for frames plus $350 for lenses through Urban Optique.... I think I'll have an optometrist redo my eye exam and have them give me the full specs so I can order online.

max_boost
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Only thing is you can't try them on. But if you can find a pair you like in person and find the same one online, then you are set. Markup is beyond insane in the optical industry. $10 lens selling for $350 retail :nut:

88CRX
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Only thing is you can't try them on. But if you can find a pair you like in person and find the same one online, then you are set.

This is what I did.

Found the glasses I wanted locally.... tried them on, copied down all the size information off the inside of the arm and then went online and found them for a fraction of the price.

I just ordered the frames cause i didn't want them to screw up my lenses so I just took my frames to costco and got lenses made up. Pretty sure costco lenses were almost the same price as online.

frozenrice
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I just got off the phone with a few different places. Got the predicted responses. This is pissing me off…

bimmere92
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

This is what I did.

Found the glasses I wanted locally.... tried them on, copied down all the size information off the inside of the arm and then went online and found them for a fraction of the price.

I just ordered the frames cause i didn't want them to screw up my lenses so I just took my frames to costco and got lenses made up. Pretty sure costco lenses were almost the same price as online.

Really? Costco's lenses are cheap? How much did you pay??

Costco's awesome!

LLLimit
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Numbers on the inside of the arm are dimensions, looks like this:

50-17-135.

50= lense width
17=bridge width
135 = temple distance

all in mm, gives you an idea of what dimensions you'll get if you wear glasses already.

Proyecto2000
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
I just found www.smartbuyglasses.ca - I'm looking for a pair of Rx sunglasses and they priced out at $299, as opposed to $154 for frames plus $350 for lenses through Urban Optique.... I think I'll have an optometrist redo my eye exam and have them give me the full specs so I can order online.

awsome site, im going to order a set of frames for $118 when I get home. I saw the same frames for sale at the eye glass store across from tims on 17th ave for $350