PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

sweepergal
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I have a question, I guess my mom was in a little accident sometime last month. She was at a stop sign, the guy in front of her suddenly stopped and she hit him. There was no damage to either car, but apparently the guy got out and instangly said there is no damage, but i have sensor lights going off in my car and I am worried about them. WTF, not damage but lights going off. Anyhow my mom exchanges insurance with him and forgets about it cause it has been over a month.

Friday my mom gets a call from her insurance claim because he has made a claim. They are questioning her on everything from drinking and driving to what the damage was on her car ect. I have advised her to fight this because I think someone is trying to pull a scam on this.

Does anyone have any advise as to how to proceed. I have told mom to have her insurance company send out an adjust to prove that there is a slight scratch on her car. If it would have been of high impact or anything, there would have been a dent, she drive a dynasty.

Just wondering what advise you can give. I sure hate assholes that take advantage of a system. This happened to my aunt during the winter and she fought tooth and nail and won her case. Her insurance company didn't pay a think because some scammer was trying to claim $1500.00 worth of damage on a previously damaged car and the fact that he was pulling out on the wrong side of the road when he hit her.

Good Grief what is this world coming too??

Masked Bandit
03-15-2010, 09:47 AM
There isn't really a whole lot your Mom can do here. She hit someone from behind, she is at-fault. If there is ANY damage to the other person's vehicle then she / you are liable. I'm assuming you guys share the car? Sometimes there can be hidden damage in behind the bumper without being able to see anything from the outside.

Kennyredline
03-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Yup, hitting someone from behind, unless it's a weird case, is hard to dispute. Insurance scams don't happen with rear-enders, there's usually two other cars involved, not just one. Avoiding rear-ending someone is probably one of the easiest collisions to avoid.
Your mom should just co-operate and not be a hard-ass about it.

Cos
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sweepergal
I sure hate assholes that take advantage of a system.

They may not be taking advantage of anything. There are sensors in the bumper that could have been damaged, sensors in the gas tank, the exhaust could have been pushed forward a bit and broke something, the guy may have had a broken neck and hitting him made it worse.

Who knows but she did hit someone from behind so your at the mercy of that guy unfortunately.