PDA

View Full Version : How to better your chances

oster
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Besides good marks, what are some other things I can do to better my chances of getting into university.

I would be a mature student, took a couple years off after high school and now deciding I need to get an education lol...

My avg. is ~%70, but I'm going to re write some diplomas to see if I can better my marks. U of Vic business seems to be a good choice given my grades (If I can't improve them), but other suggestions would be great. Looking to eventually major in economics if that helps.

leftwing
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
not to sure, but im pretty sure they only look at your marks to accept you to a school. I mean all you submit is a transcript right, its not like you send a resume too.

gl

lint
03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Talk to admissions. They usually have different requirements for mature students vs right out of school.

gerved
03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
just apply to a college, do a year there, and then transfer to u of c.
i know people who have taken stuff at st mary's (anyone whose anyone gets accepted there) and mount royal and then transferred to u of c after a year or two no problem.

just make sure the things you take elsewhere transfer fine to whatever uni you want to go to, otherwise its all a waste

gerved
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
oh, and with a 70 you can easily get into st. mary's, take a few business classes there, then transfer to u of c after 1 or 2 years.
hear they have good business profs and st. mary's... dont know much about mount royal though

Team_Mclaren
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
super rich parents.

jwslam
03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
super rich parents.
i.e. Getting into Morningwood Academy?

on a serious note I honestly don't think you can do anything other than grades.

msommers
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
You could also go unclassified and get some credit that way, max 3 courses/semester.

gqmw
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

i.e. Getting into Morningwood Academy?

on a serious note I honestly don't think you can do anything other than grades.

Money goes a long way hahah. You'd be surprised...

bjstare
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
not to sure, but im pretty sure they only look at your marks to accept you to a school. I mean all you submit is a transcript right, its not like you send a resume too.

gl

No. UVic business admissions rely heavily on a resume. If you take the normal route and do 2 years of pre-reqs and then apply for business in your third year, the resume is weighted almost equally with your GPA (I know this because my wife knows someone in the admissions dept and I am friends with a couple business students). UVic recently started doing this pre-admit thing for business where you can pay a fee and "get accepted" based on marks when your in your first year of uni, but there's still some pretty strict requirements you have to meet when it comes to your third year and you're actually entering the business faculty.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
super rich parents.

This is so true its not even funny. I know some dumb-as-nails people from calgary with super rich parents (kids went to WIC and Rundle in high school), and somehow they're in the business faculty, even though their marks are in the toilet, and they've never worked a job.

(note: upper-middle class doesnt count, we're talking bentley driving, multiple home-owning, private jet type of super rich)

magicalpoop
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

No. UVic business admissions rely heavily on a resume. If you take the normal route and do 2 years of pre-reqs and then apply for business in your third year, the resume is weighted almost equally with your GPA (I know this because my wife knows someone in the admissions dept and I am friends with a couple business students). UVic recently started doing this pre-admit thing for business where you can pay a fee and "get accepted" based on marks when your in your first year of uni, but there's still some pretty strict requirements you have to meet when it comes to your third year and you're actually entering the business faculty.

This is so true its not even funny. I know some dumb-as-nails people from calgary with super rich parents (kids went to WIC and Rundle in high school), and somehow they're in the business faculty, even though their marks are in the toilet, and they've never worked a job.

(note: upper-middle class doesnt count, we're talking bentley driving, multiple home-owning, private jet type of super rich)

This man speaks the truth for both matters.

Yeah, unfortunately that rich kid is probably paying an excess of probably over 10-20 students worth of tuition I'd imagine in "Donations"

I know someone who got into UofAlberta medical strictly because she has a connection on the admissions board. Had a well below cut off GPA , mediocore MCAT (or w/e it is ) scores and just got shoved in and given the interview process and then again shoved into acceptance.

Unfortunately it is just how this world works. After going through so many years of college, I have the upmost respect for truly self-made people. No not like Donald Trump, but people like Jay Z, the Wal Mart guy, etc ...