PDA

View Full Version : Correspondent Courses

BloNdie
12-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey, I don't know if anyone can help me, but who knows. I am working full time and want to start working toward just my BSc. and would like to do it over the internet. I know of Athabaska U, but I kinda want something that will ultimatly look good on my med. school application ;) Are there any 'good' universities out there that offer this type of thing? Thanks! :)

Weapon_R
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Would night classes at the University be a feasible solution for you? I know what you mean about the U of Atha, but if it's just a couple of courses I wouldn't worry so much about it.

As far as I know, U of C and U of A don't offer online courses. THere is a school in the states, Concord University, that offers an online correspondence program, but i'm not 100% sure whether the local universities would recognize them.

max_boost
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Athabasca would be your best bet!!
Anyway, a degree is a degree unless it's from a prestigious school. U of C isn't anywhere near the top so I wouldn't sweat going to U of Athabasca.

It's who you know, not what you know. :thumbsup:

BloNdie
12-03-2003, 07:30 PM
haha I was always sure it was the other way around, who you know, not what you know. That explains alot. Thanks guys, I found a great website with tons of schools that offer a BSc online, What do u think about waterloo for that degree? :dunno:

max_boost
12-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie
haha I was always sure it was the other way around, who you know, not what you know. That explains alot. Thanks guys, I found a great website with tons of schools that offer a BSc online, What do u think about waterloo for that degree? :dunno: You just have to read my post again! Anyway, I have an ex gf that goes to Waterloo and it's a great school. But she's doing computer engineering or something, apparently a lot of tech companies recruit on campus. That must say something good about the institution.

SJC
12-11-2003, 04:26 PM
I totally agree with Max_boost, my parents both have their masters degrees and they say the same thing - a degree is a degree unless it's from an Ivy League school...

Personally, I'm in UofC faculty of management right now but I'm transferring to Athabasca for the last 2 years of the degree...Since I can do the courses at my own pace I figure I can knock a semester if not more off the time...

After being 3rd year CompSci major, then transferring to haskayne and jumping through all the hoops that entailed, I'm ready just to have the degree done anytime now! :thumbsup:

SJC

max_boost
12-11-2003, 05:09 PM
SJC, what major are you going with?

maximus
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SJC
I totally agree with Max_boost, my parents both have their masters degrees and they say the same thing - a degree is a degree unless it's from an Ivy League school...

Personally, I'm in UofC faculty of management right now but I'm transferring to Athabasca for the last 2 years of the degree...Since I can do the courses at my own pace I figure I can knock a semester if not more off the time...

After being 3rd year CompSci major, then transferring to haskayne and jumping through all the hoops that entailed, I'm ready just to have the degree done anytime now! :thumbsup:

SJC

Are you sure you want to transfer away fom the U?? Sure its not ranked the highest but its definetly better than Athabasca. And if you're staying in Calgary I'm sure UofC is enough. I mean you won't be competeing against Queens grads here in Calgary. They play with the big boys in TO.

Here in Calgary I'm willing to bet that you'd be prefererd if you had UofC over Athabasca.

RiCE-DaDDy
12-12-2003, 03:55 AM
i agree w/ maximus, but u didnt really give any good reasons. Maybe you some other reason, oh well.