PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy refrigerant oil?

jonfoo
03-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm gonna be installing an ac system on my car soon, i have all the parts except some refrigerant oil

Sanden sp-10

anyone know where i can get some, or got a hook up?

RickDaTuner
03-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Are you aware that A/C oil is added when the system is charged and really serves no purpose in an empty system?
Sure it will lubricate the compressor to some extent, but not as well as it would with a charged system.
Are you also aware that you cannot just add a/c from a can.
Charging a system requires that you add the correct amount of refrigerant to the system, measured in either Minutes/Kilograms/Pounds.
Too much and your compressor will crap out prematurely, along with bursting a few seals, and possibly cracking your heat exchanger.
Too little and your system will overheat killing your compressor.

Just hoping to save you a head ache here and there.

FYI all parts stores have the bottle of A/C oil. you only need about two capfuls if its a small car

jonfoo
03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
uhh the shop manual i'm using says i require 130ml of sanden sp-10 in the evaporator prior to installation, which is why i need it, and no i won't be charging it myself i am just installing the a/c system, THE ENTIRE SYSTEM then getting a purge and charge, of course i know u can't add ac from a can

thanks for the info i guess

Zero102
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
There are 2 ways to go about this:
1) Go to the shop that will be charging it, tell them you installed all new parts and that it still needs the oil. They will then add the oil after evacuating the system and charge it for you properly. Always WATCH THEM do the work of course to make sure they do it right.
2) Add the oil yourself, then have them evacuate it and charge it

With option #1 you know you still have the right amount of oil after the evacuation and typically you don't pay for it since most shops charge a flat rate for an A/C purge and fill. With option #2 you are paying for the compressor oil (~$15) and it is possible you will lose some oil during the evacuation process and not even know it, thereby running low on compressor oil for a perlonged period of time and causing premature failure of the compressor.

IMO go with option #1, it is cheaper and you know it's done right. The system can sit dry for a few days so long as you don't jumper the compressor clutch and force it to run. The risks are the same because with #1 they could put no oil in like idiots, or with option #2 they could still put oil in and when you have too much that is usually worse than too little.

jonfoo
03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
hmm sounds good to me, thanks for the heads up, this saves me a trip to partsource

Zero102
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
No problem, I've been there, done that too many times. I have all the equipment except a good vacuum pump, so in the course of fixing A/C on 3 of my own and 4-5 of my friends cars I have learned this through experience. Firstly always watch them work, secondly don't bother spending money on things you can get for free

Also worth noting, most of the parts stores in the city have no idea there are different kinds of refrigerant oil and they will not know the names for them listed in the service manuals (i.e. Sanden oils or Densoil) which only makes the process more difficult