PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating car price from long distance seller

Johnny C
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm planning on traveling to purchase a car from a private seller. Not Calgary to Edmonton, but rather down into the States.

At what point do I negotiate the price? Over the phone before I leave or presenting cash in person?

The difference between the ask and what I want to pay is a few thousand, it's close...but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Canmorite
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Who has the leverage?

If you negotiate over the phone, you have nothing to lose so you hold most of the leverage. Nothing gained, nothing lost. If you spend the time and money to go down there to see the car, he has the leverage. If you walk away, you lose all the time and money you've put in, and he will use that to his advantage.

Also depends on how bad he wants to move the car. Few things to take into consideration!

max_boost
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know how you can really negotiate a car price without seeing it. What I would do is tell the guy you are serious, flying in and going to make a deal. Everything changes when you show up with cash in hand as we all know, money talks.

Johnny C
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
All good points, thanks guys. Any more input?

igotacookie
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I don't know how you can really negotiate a car price without seeing it. What I would do is tell the guy you are serious, flying in and going to make a deal. Everything changes when you show up with cash in hand as we all know, money talks.

I don't think I'd go about it that way... sellers get pissed off when people show up and haggle at the last moment. He can say he won't budge, lost ten minutes of his time. And u lost a plane ticket and a couple of days.

Definitely discuss price prior to traveling, if he's not willing to budge to where you want it to be, there are always other used cars out there.

jonnycat
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd offer him your price, cash in hand, based on you seeing the car. If he says no, you won't waste a trip. And for fuck sakes don't bring cash cash

bignerd
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree, thats a long ways to go to find out the seller is not interested in negotiating... do it beforehand.