PDA

View Full Version : Laying grass seed

CaptainReboot
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a lot of dead spots in our lawn, so I want to lay some grass seeds down. I was thinking of doing this early April.

This is what I was going to do:
1. Rake entire lawn
2. Lay top soil on dead/brown spots
3. Lay grass seeds on dead sports, add more top soil.
4. Water daily until it seeds

Will this work?

I have under ground sprinklers so watering won't be an issue.

spike98
03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I have the same issue too. Except there is so many dead spots i am concidering just rototilling it and laying sod. Would the previously dead grass/weeds cause any problems? Or would i have to strip the first couple of inches of grass/soil?

tom_9109
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
go here.

http://www.scotts.ca/smg/home/home.jsp

or the american site. it has a lot of information on how to take care of a lawn.

hampstor
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I've got some winterkill deadspots too. I'm going to mix grass seed with soil and fertilizer and lay them down in those spots + water them. I've got some big patches where I'm just going to cut some sod to fit.

My biggest concern was making sure the new grass matches the existing lawn.

mikey_p
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
beleive it or not.. youtube offers great help when it comes to lawn.. I had crazy dead patches due to pine needles and raked with topsoil and seeded with that miracle grow stuff that grows on concrete and it worked great... LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER... Also helped me to cover the area with a potatoe sack and water over top to keep it moist all the time.. brilliant green grass afterwards.. better then my normal grass... go figure..:dunno:

CaptainReboot
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I was thinking of using a lawn thickener from CIL or Scott's Turf Builder. Has anybody had any experience with either of those? They include seeds, mulch and soil all in one, so I'd just spread where required but I was thinking about running it over my entire lawn.

We have underground sprinklers but got a lot of dead areas in certain parts in the yard.

masoncgy
04-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I have to do this every year... use a quality top soil/seeds.

Just rake out & remove all of the burned/dead grass, spread a thin layer of top soil over the spot, give it a good scattering of seeds and then another thin layer of top soil... water it often and keep it moist... it will grow out quickly & evenly.

ExtraSlow
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Kinda on the same topic, anyone know where to get custom grass seed mixed?
I've heard that some places will build you a mix that is suited to your particular exposure, soil type and moisture availability.
Don't know of anywhere local that does that though.

I'm thinking of reseeding my lawn with something that's better suited to the type of low maintenance/water gardening I prefer. The generic sod i have is garbage.