PDA

View Full Version : Polarized Sunglasses for around $100 - where should I go?

Pollywog
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Ive decided with how much I go through shades that I don't want to be spending 300+ on glasses anymore. I am just looking for some decent quality sunglasses for around the $100 mark - any suggestions?

texasnick
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
not to sound like a redneck or anything, but you can usually find polarized sunglasses at gas stations for around $20.

Pollywog
03-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by texasnick
not to sound like a redneck or anything, but you can usually find polarized sunglasses at gas stations for around $20.

Lol, hardly sound like a redneck - the markup on glasses is so ridiculous that I don't know how they get away with it. However, i got quite a few pair of GasStop glasses too but im just looking for something a bit more solid (even if its all in my mind).

texasnick
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
ahhh fair enough. Yeah they are usually pretty cheapo. But definitely polarized. I used to buy about 3 pairs a year in Uni. Now I have ray-bans but I always wonder if they're really worth it. I have never noticed a difference in polarization between the cheap ones and my ray bans.

Tarrantula
03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Lol, hardly sound like a redneck - the markup on glasses is so ridiculous that I don't know how they get away with it. However, i got quite a few pair of GasStop glasses too but im just looking for something a bit more solid (even if its all in my mind).

Poly, Best polarized sunglasses I have ever bought (been back for another pair since I sat on my last) would be SPORT MART!

There is one right by sunridge Bestbuy.. extremely cheap too 29$

Best investment ever. Seriously. A decent amount of styles (including aviators if thats your thing)

They can take a beating too. Ill post a pic of mine if you want..

Rarasaurus
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Ebay is also good because a pair that is 160 in stores here can be had for half that on ebay.

Afrodeziak
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I 2nd eBay. Hit up a couple shops in town, see what you like, buy them for half that from a "shop" on eBay.

If you want them now, you can usually just use a buy it now and pay then and there.

B_Tran
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I've grabbed cheap ones from Sport Mart as well. They have a pretty big selection.

Pollywog
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to swing by Sport Mart and grab a pair. I'll keep ebay in mind when I'm looking for good deals on designer glasses.

Clever
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I have a few Ray Bans and 2 of them were from Winners, older style aviators paid around $50 each.

Vagabond142
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Surprisingly, golf stores (nevada bobs, golftown, etc) usually have a rack of glasses in the $60-$120 range that are polarized and meant for full day wear. Worth a shot if you are near a golf store anytime.

syeve
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I have only bought blackfly's for the psat few years. I love them all...super good lenses and really solid frames. I wear a pair when mountain biking and I kick the shit out of them, still look brand new!

They sell that at plan B or off their website http://www.flys.com/aboutBlackFlys.asp

Tarrantula
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Thanks guys! I'm going to swing by Sport Mart and grab a pair. I'll keep ebay in mind when I'm looking for good deals on designer glasses.

Make sure you go to the new store (its across the street instead of beside bestbuy)

I thought they were closed till I saw the map on the door :facepalm:

boarderfatty
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I find that polarization does depend on the price you pay. I paid a decent chunk of change for my Maui Jim's but on the water in the summer, nothing cuts the glare better.

I am a bit of a sunglasses aficionado though and usually keep about 20 pairs at a time. except for my Maui Jim's I don't find the polarization is better enough to justify the price increase. The polarization on my Oakley's, Ray Ban's, Carrera's etc is better than what is offered at Sport Mart, but not a few hundred dollars worth of difference.

Except for purpose bought sunglasses though, I buy them because of the label and the way that they look, polarization is a plus, but not the reason I buy them.

Plus who need polarization when "I wear my sunglasses at night" goin out to the clubs pickin up skanks and grindin them so hard my dick falls off.

So to summarize I guess you do pay more for better polarization but the difference in polarization an price in not consistent.

Tarrantula
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
summarize.. pay.. better polarization

I havent noticed a difference between any of the ones I have owned.

They all seem to work great, and if there is a difference, I cant tell :dunno:

Its not a hard process to do.. im sure its 99% the same.

darthVWader
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I bought a pair of Smiths from The Ozone in Market mall for around $120.00 and I think they kick ass.
http://www.smithoptics.com/Interlock-Spoiler_115_685.html?fl=flase

Also MEC is a great place for shades.

natejj
03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
My polarized Oakley's were only $135 from Oakley. Minute II's I believe

sneek
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
My old pair of Oakley Half Jackets with the black irradium polarized lenses did wonders on the water. I lost them, but ended up getting a pair of Raybans. I think the Oakleys have better optics, but it might just be because the Oakleys were wrap arounds. The RBs are by no means bad sun glasses, however they are far less sporty.

C_Dave45
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
if I may...I'm not a sunglasses aficionado..meaning I'd never pay for Oakleys, or whatever are $100 and up. Not that I'd LIKE to...but I either lose 'em, break em, or just get beat to hell on the job. I buy $20 sunglasses about 3 or 4 times a year.

As for polarized lenses...a lot of people don't even know the difference, including the people behind the counter. I like polarized for when I'm fishing..but for driving I find they give me a bit of "vertigo", especially on rain-slicked roads with sun glare. To see if a lens is polarized; simply hold a "polarized" lens over your digital watch...now rotate the glasses...at a certain point your digital watch screen will go completely black and you can't see the numbers. Those lenses are polarized...if that doesn't happen then they're not polarized. That simple.

But they are fantastic for cutting out glare on the water.

driftkingAE86
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm a bit of a cheap sunglasses guy, but if you are looking for style and affordability, that are polarized, then hese are the shades for you
http://sunglassshack.com/items/movie~tv-sunglasses/Burn-Notice-TV-Show-Michael-Westen-Celebrity-Sunglasses-detail.htm