PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System...

Lagerstatten.ca
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Beyonders,

I'm looking into purchasing one of those under the sink drinking water filtration systems. Something similar to the Kinetico ones that are advertised everywhere.

Looking for suggestions on some good systems, where to buy them and cost of a system.

Probably looking for a reverse osmosis system if possible.

Thanks!

Wrinkly
03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Reverse osmosis wastes about 2-3 gallons for every one of filtered water that it produces (if you're on a meter something to consider).

Interesting link:

http://www.historyofwaterfilters.com/reverse-osmosis-pc.html

ronaldo
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
this is what I use at home:

http://www.aquasana.com/

Lagerstatten.ca
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Reverse osmosis wastes about 2-3 gallons for every one of filtered water that it produces (if you're on a meter something to consider).

Interesting link:

http://www.historyofwaterfilters.com/reverse-osmosis-pc.html

Good to know! Thanks!

Tomaz
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I have a RO system at my house. Brilliant!

I would only suggest it for living out on an acreage, where water filtration is necessary. In the city, the water is pretty damn good right off the bat, so why mess with a good thing? Brita filters would be the furthest i would need to go living in Calgary... :dunno:

yellowsnow
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
yeah, our water is actually pretty damn good. my cousin in law has some weird water filtration system that actually changes the pH level of water to 7.0, and makes water taste like... you're drinking nothing. it's really weird.

our bodies needs those extra minerals in water, i don't understand why everyone wants to filter that out. plus free fluoride to prevent cavaties :D

prodigydud
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you tried looking at the water system from Culligan?

We use it in our household. No complaints. Plus the price was right....~$1000 incl. install.

Hope that helps!

Lagerstatten.ca
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm in Chesteremere and before that in Calgary. Been drinking those Culligan bottled water for like 10+ years now and can't go back to drinking tap water. It tastes gross!

But I hate carrying those bottles, so was looking into an inhouse water filtration system.

Probably gonna go see what Home Depot/Rona has in stock. Don't want to spend more than $300 bucks on one.

Darell_n
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
yeah, our water is actually pretty damn good. my cousin in law has some weird water filtration system that actually changes the pH level of water to 7.0, and makes water taste like... you're drinking nothing. it's really weird.

our bodies needs those extra minerals in water, i don't understand why everyone wants to filter that out. plus free fluoride to prevent cavaties :D

An RO system knocks the total dissolved solids (TDS) to near zero if working properly. This will be a perfect neutral pH level.

One word of advice for anyone installing one in their house is to plumb it in with copper, not poly tubing, as this is a very common source for home insurance claims. The cheaper systems come with total garbage plastic fittings that like to burst the first long weekend you leave home.

AndyL
03-17-2010, 01:01 AM
RO in calgary will not drop TDS to near 0 - you need DI module to do that (our water is just typically too hard).

Look on ebay, there's a good outfit out of BC, used by a lot of the aquarium and hydroponics types. Do look for mention of "john guest" fittings, as mentioned many of the cheap ones will leak...

nj2Type-S
03-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

does your cousin have that kangen water filtration system? that thing is ridiculously expensive! everyone that has it is so insistent that changing the ph level in the water or ionizing it makes the water better for you. :dunno:

ronaldo
03-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

does your cousin have that kangen water filtration system? that thing is ridiculously expensive! everyone that has it is so insistent that changing the ph level in the water or ionizing it makes the water better for you. :dunno:

that company is a bullshit multi-level marketing scheme.

dont waste your time

yellowsnow
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

Yeah that sounds familiar... they are very into those marketing schemes. i can't talk to them long :banghead:

InRich
03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I just purchased one at the home and garden show.... You might aswell do a water softener too

I can hook you up with the guy, they did a really high end water softener for me, and the purification system, best one on the market for 1900... installed... reg show price was 2300. let me know if youe serious so I can get you his info....

If you want just the purication system its like 400 installed. pm me if your serious. the guys were really professional and friendly to deal with .... son and pop type guys

TomcoPDR
03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by InRich
I just purchased one at the home and garden show....

What would you say if you bump into the guys from Calcana at the show? Or you guys cool peeps?

I just got flashbacks bumping into Ex's

InRich
03-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

What would you say if you bump into the guys from Calcana at the show? Or you guys cool peeps?

I just got flashbacks bumping into Ex's

lol... I left there....
since then, they have offered me a job a couple times in certain variations.... I made them alot of money.... alot. within the first 6 months of me there when I started, I outsold their regular salesman 5 to 1. and he was there for 7 years before me.... after firing him, they gave me his corner office....

I left there, cause I made 49k a year.... it was a fucking joke compared to what I was earning everyone else around i did hundreds of thousands in sales for them a year... I just purchased a new home, and I'll be going back there for a calcana heater for sure.