PDA

View Full Version : Using An Out-Of-Town Address

sexualbanana
03-16-2010, 03:56 PM
It's a generally accepted rule that most HR people will not consider you for a position unless you currently live in the city of the position (not counting extenuating circumstances). So is it considered lying or unethical to use a friend's address on your resume?

Crymson
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I know tonnes of people who've done it, no one's seen an reprcussions.

Besides, who says that you have to live at the address on a reusme anyway? That's where your mail goes.

I supposed it would make a difference if you were immigrant trying to imply that you could work in Canada and could not. That would be a big deal.

sexualbanana
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
I know tonnes of people who've done it, no one's seen an reprcussions.

Besides, who says that you have to live at the address on a reusme anyway? That's where your mail goes.

I supposed it would make a difference if you were immigrant trying to imply that you could work in Canada and could not. That would be a big deal.

That's what I mean. I'm applying to some jobs in the US and my friends said I could use their address, but I don't know how I'd explain the address thing if it ever came up.

Wrinkly
03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
You do know you can't just go and work in the US, you need to have the relevant Visa? (Unless you're an American Citizen of course).

sexualbanana
03-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
You do know you can't just go and work in the US, you need to have the relevant Visa? (Unless you're an American Citizen of course).

I know. That's why the question of using a US address but needing a visa would come up. Thus I wonder if it's unethical or inappropriate for me to use it.

R154
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
If getting a formal letter of offer is a prerequisite for getting a visa, then you'll have a hell of a time explaining to the company that just hired you, why you cant work there if your application for a greencard/work visa is for whatever reason denied. Job or not, this happens quite often.

This puts you in a wee bit of a dilema that is farther reaching then an ethical booboo. You might get in trouble with immigrations if they find out you lied to get a job (obviously they'll easily find out if your employer submits its letter to them, and tells them that you applied as a citizen/resident.)

Maybe consult the company(s) first about their policies of out of towner applications. Then again, given the current political agenda in the us, it will be extremely difficult for professionals to migrate down south. Even an anonymous call down to a headhunter in the states, you might be able to garner more usable answers.

If I were you, I would hedge my bets and apply with buddies address, and if it does come up, explain the situation after youre hired.

Wrinkly
03-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I know. That's why the question of using a US address but needing a visa would come up. Thus I wonder if it's unethical or inappropriate for me to use it.

Oh - please don't go about it any other way than the legit way - if you get busted the consequences can be very harsh and you can (and likely will) be banned from the US for life - even for visiting/vacations. It happens, I kid you not. Anyway, to work there (other than cash in hand washing dishes etc) you will need a Social security number which I don't think you can get if you're not legally allowed to be there.

Also, if you leave Canada for more than six months - bang goes your Canadian health care.

Start here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a39e901bf9873210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a39e901bf9873210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edit - Other useful Links: http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/canadians.asp#nafta
http://www.grasmick.com/nafta.htm#

See if the jobs you're looking at fall within US rules - they're quite picky as to what you can do there as an outsider. Also has all the information you need about Visa's and which one (if any) is right for your situation.

Nigel Mansell
03-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Also, if you leave Canada for more than six months - bang goes your Canadian health care.

:banghead:

sexualbanana
03-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Oh - please don't go about it any other way than the legit way - if you get busted the consequences can be very harsh and you can (and likely will) be banned from the US for life - even for visiting/vacations. It happens, I kid you not. Anyway, to work there (other than cash in hand washing dishes etc) you will need a Social security number which I don't think you can get if you're not legally allowed to be there.

Start here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a39e901bf9873210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a39e901bf9873210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edit - Other useful Links: http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/canadians.asp#nafta
http://www.grasmick.com/nafta.htm#

See if the jobs you're looking at fall within US rules - they're quite picky as to what you can do there as an outsider. Also has all the information you need about Visa's and which one (if any) is right for your situation.

I've spent a couple summers working in the US before, so I know the drill with Visas and such. It was just the subject of needing an endorsement during an interview that worries me since it might look like a super sketchy move.

Wrinkly
03-18-2010, 12:36 AM
But as obtaining a visa for employment usually involves your future employer anyway (maybe in your line of work it doesn't, I'm more familiar with TN and H-1B visas), I can't quite figure out exactly what you're asking. :dunno:

sexualbanana
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
What I'm trying to get at is, if you were an HR recruiter interviewing me, for example. You like my resume and you like how I'm interviewing. Everything is generally going really well, when suddenly the matter of me needing an endorsement for a work visa comes up. Would you feel like you were intentionally mislead? And do you think that would effect your evaluation of me when it comes down to choosing someone to hire?

As far as you were made aware up until this point, I lived in the city where the interview is being conducted, so there was no reason to assume that I would need a work visa or anything of the sort.