PDA

View Full Version : Appliance store recommendations

Red@8
03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Need to buy some new appliances for the home, specifically a fridge, stove, microwave, and washer and dryer.

Ill be going to the obvious places (future shop/home depot/etc) but was curious if someone knew of better or not so obvious places to go to. If someone had a positive experience with a specific sales person at a certain store that would also be helpful.

nismodrifter
03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Coast Wholesale Appliances

C_Dave45
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
If you don't care about budget, but more into quality, then go to Coast, Trail, etc. If you just want an appliance and the best price...then FS, Brick is your best bet.
I bought all new appliances for the rental house from FS and they work just fine, two years later. Stove was $500, dishwasher $425, micro $279.

I just bought a brand new convection stove for our own house and went to Trail. They only had one last model..it was the cheapest one in the whole store at $999. All the rest were about $1500 and up. Funny thing was, that the exact same model was at the brick for $200 less, as a "clearance".

quazimoto
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Coast Wholesale as well in my books. Top level appliances and the prices are better than most competitors.

Red@8
03-17-2010, 06:54 AM
The appliances are for my parents home. My parents aren't very "particular" to say the least so I think I will focus on the big name stores simply due to pricing. With that said since everyone so far seems to like Coast I will check them out just to see what I am missing.

Sykes
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
We bought our kitchen appliances from Dufresne and they treated us really well (much MUCH better than The Brick...ugh).

We'll be getting our washer and dryer set from them soon now too..

tirebob
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Just picked up new LG Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Range hood from a guy named Rob at Future Shop in Northmount Mall... I have been checking everywhere and knew exactly what I wanted. Walked in, told him I have been to multiple places and that this was exactly what I was looking for and I wanted to know what the best deal out the door I could get including all taxes. I never told him what I was getting elsewhere for pricing and he came back with a price almost $1000.00 cheaper than I got anywhere else, with the extended warranties included that I never usually buy...

I pulled out the card and paid on the spot... Good guy and was willing to bargain the pricing from retail.

quazimoto
03-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd find it hard to believe they had cheaper prices than the identical models at coast wholesale. Their prices are 10% to 15% less than other retailers on average. The models you might have gotten were likely not the same if you were shopping around for prices.

Red@8
03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the responses so far people.

I will check out both Coast and FS (rob in the nw) for appliances for sure.

As for Dufresne, does anyone know if the "quality" of their furniture would compare to united/brick/etc? I saw some stuff on their website i know my parents would like and the pricing wasn't bad from what I can remember.

SI_futbol
03-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

lint
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
you can check out the sears outlet in deerfoot. They have slightly imperfect (minor scratches) models and you might find a great deal.

frozenrice
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
^^Through industry contacts, I've learned that Kenmore appliances from Sears are made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool appliances are considered the most reliable (despite the Maytag commercials). Sears outlet at Deerfoot is definately worth checking out if your parents aren't that fussy.

tirebob
03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
I'd find it hard to believe they had cheaper prices than the identical models at coast wholesale. Their prices are 10% to 15% less than other retailers on average. The models you might have gotten were likely not the same if you were shopping around for prices.

I never checked coast wholesale so I can't say about them for sure, but I was shopping by part number so I was comparing apples to apples. Like I said, the retail price listed is not what I paid. I was buying mulitple pieces and asked for a deal and got one that beat the other retailers I had checked substantialy. Basically it sounds to me like I got the type of pricing you say coast wholesalers does all them time so I guess he worked for the deal. I was very satisfied.

SI_futbol
03-18-2010, 03:02 AM
any store right now can give you 10-15% off their appliances cause the manufacturers reps allow them to. Its basically like a rebate to the store, dependent on where you go, the store will either credit you this or most likely pocket it. This is a spring special from manufacturers. manufacturers with 10-15 points are Frigidaire whirlpool(maytag, same shit) kitchenaid LG and samsung have fuck all apart from 75 to 100 off the price, which a store will most likely use as a sale price to get ya.
dont forget that alot of manufacturers have alot of good rebates right now especially when buying sets

quazimoto
03-18-2010, 07:43 AM
I know we needed to buy a washer and dryer and as it is there are manufacturer's rebates on several of the higher end high efficiency models. With all the available rebates and discounts we were able to buy a Maytag high efficiency pair that was normally $2100 for $1450. Something about a 5.1 QF washer was just nice after having a washer that 40% smaller for a long time lol.

Overall the sales people there are nice too. We didn't have anybody trying to be pushy or harassing us which I find to be the most annoying thing when sales people do that.

As for the dufresne question I believe their furniture is better than your typical brick, leons etc. I would still tell people to shop at lazyboy as the quality is just about as good as it gets even though the price you'll pay is higher. But you get what you pay for. Lazyboy couches and chairs will easily last you 15-20 years or longer.

customtvlift123
03-19-2010, 03:29 AM
try looking for appliances Online. It is more convenient and hassle free. But if you have all the time in the world it is better to look the appliances in the appliance store. Also budget you money first. Try to look in the internet the appliances you want to buy before going in the appliance store to check the prices.

Dilmah
03-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Coast Wholesale Appliances
I would be careful if you go there. I spent around $3k there last year and after about 6 weeks of waiting for things to arrive I get a call the day before from the sales guy, he tells me he undercharged me by $20! and I need to show up within the next hour before they close or they won't delivered... Of course I laughed thinking it was a joke by a buddy but no he was serious. I even tried telling him to cancel the whole order before I'd pay the $20 and his reply was okay, we'll cancel and he hung up the phone. About 10 minutes later he called back and acted like he was doing me a favour and told me he would eat the $20, I'm guessing his boss must have convinced him to forget about the $20¡_
Sears however (much to my surprise) was a totally different story. I went to look at a new fridge, gave the sales guy my number and told him I may be back within a week, two days later he calls me and tells me he's been sitting around scratching those instant savings cards they have every couple of months and found one with 30% off appliances and to come down if I want it. I was down there within an hour and made the deal.
Two weeks later when the fridge was supposed to come I got a call telling me it wasn't on time, I called the manager started raising shit, told him I'm not sure I can wait another week, he offered me a $150 gift card, I countered with $300 and he agreed and the next Saturday it was delivered. A $2800 fridge ended up costing me around $1700. Sears is the way to go¡_

Red@8
03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by customtvlift123
try looking for appliances Online. It is more convenient and hassle free. But if you have all the time in the world it is better to look the appliances in the appliance store. Also budget you money first. Try to look in the internet the appliances you want to buy before going in the appliance store to check the prices.

Doing exactly that.

Red@8
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
As for the dufresne question I believe their furniture is better than your typical brick, leons etc. I would still tell people to shop at lazyboy as the quality is just about as good as it gets even though the price you'll pay is higher. But you get what you pay for. Lazyboy couches and chairs will easily last you 15-20 years or longer.

If the stuff was for me personally, lazy boy would be on my list. But since the furniture is not and price is a large determining factor I doubt I'll be stopping at lazy boy.

quazimoto
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I find it extremely hard to believe any store would call you regarding $20 on a $2000+ purchase. I myself could never trust the people at sear's enough to buy something that important from them. That's just me though.

We got our main appliances through trail appliances since that is who the builder works with and they give the builders rock bottom discounts off the floor model prices already. Buying their for the average person would suck though as their prices are higher.

Coast wholesale has a good selection. The staff is very knowledgeable on the products and they don't try to BS you. We actually dealt with the manager on our purchase directly even though it was by complete accident. We were in the store late and he was closing up and helped us out.

Red@8
03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is still a Dufresne in Calgary? I was on their website and there are no locations listed for Calgary. I thought I remember one on 32nd ave ne. I tried googling it and i got a couple of mixed results.

cancer man
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't know how trail stays in business..flipping expensive.
Stay away from Norge Appliances totally suck.

quazimoto
03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Trail stays in business because most of the home builders exclusively use them plus they are one of the few places capable of getting in some of the higher quality products. They move insane volumes of appliances to say the least.

Red@8
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
As per the reccos I am down to shopping FS and Coast for my appliances. I'll more than likely end up buying from one of them.

D'z Nutz
03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
what the hell are reccos?

B20EF
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I bought all mine at Coast wholesale as well. Great store fro prices and no BS. I found my exact same appliances at Trail for several hundred dollars more each. Home depot, Brick etc. were better priced than Trail but still not as cheap as what I got.

Red@8
03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
what the hell are reccos?

Recommendations.

jfit09
04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
here is what I do

1) go to trail appliances find something I want
2) talk to salesman
3) tell him your going to atlas appliances to compare prices
4) come back after lunch and tell the sales man that harry at trail said (insert low ball price here)
5) salesman beats it by 50$
6) leave happy

Red@8
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I ended up buying from coast.

sjaswal
04-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by jfit09
here is what I do

1) go to trail appliances find something I want
2) talk to salesman
3) tell him your going to atlas appliances to compare prices
4) come back after lunch and tell the sales man that harry at trail said (insert low ball price here)
5) salesman beats it by 50$
6) leave happy

so in step 4, you are at "atlas" the second time?
step 5,6 are at atlas right, because they're beating "harry's price at trail"
how many hours of my life will I waste saving 50 some bucks?

jfit09
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by sjaswal

so in step 4, you are at "atlas" the second time?
step 5,6 are at atlas right, because they're beating "harry's price at trail"
how many hours of my life will I waste saving 50 some bucks?

sorry I meant harry at atlas, you go back to trail having never stepped foot in atlas
you lowball and say it was harry's price and usually they will beat it by 50

saved 400$ on a freezer last time I did this and atlas is only 5 minutes away so its not wasting that much time