PDA

View Full Version : Getting into a vw this week what should i look for?

ekguy
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
As the title says getting (hopefully) a later gen vw this week. My acura has lost it's appeal with me. Too many little things to fix, not new enough, and I need a reliable car for work.

I had been looking kinda casually at Jetta wagons, but can't find any in my price range. Golf's and Jetta's are a dime a dozen within my price range.

I'm going to be looking at 2000/01/02ish so what should I be looking for, asking when looking at these. I will possibly be going with a mechanic friend of my dad's to look at a couple.

ekguy
03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
On a side note, if I do get a VW this week my Acura will be for sale quite cheap hehe.

omfgcurtis
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
My mom has the 1.8t jetta, the g/f doesnt have the civic anymore but she had the 2.0 golf and now has the tdi.

They are all great platforms besides the 2.0, which one are you looking at?

ekguy
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
The one I'm looking at is a 2.0. I'm not getting this to modify it in any way other than rims and maybe suspension. This is strictly so I can have a reliable car for work for the next few years. Then maybe I can get myself into another 2nd gen rx7 at some point.

My acura is just sucking all my money into it be it for gas, repairs, maintenance or just replacing small parts.

Everything for it is expensive (got quoted 1800$ for headlights...)

So I decided to do the right thing and get a reliable (slow) car for now and get something funner and rwd later on.

I'm looking at one hopefully this week that has 150k ish kms on it. Said that the water pump and timing belt has been done recently as well.

Anything I should be worried about with these cars?

ekguy
03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
How expensive are parts on these compared to let's say my Legend. Since it's no longer made most parts were costing me an arm and a leg.

How are parts for a VW. Come on guys I know alot of V-dub drivers on here.

omfgcurtis
03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Ask if it was replaced with a metal impeller waterpump, the original ones are plastic and break. 2.0L is solid and reliable, thermostat seems to go often on the 2.0L and same with the temp sensor.The early models also have issues with the locking mechanism in the driver side door and rarely the coilpacks on this engine go, if it has any alarm issues its related to the lock mechanism.

omfgcurtis
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
How expensive are parts on these compared to let's say my Legend. Since it's no longer made most parts were costing me an arm and a leg.

How are parts for a VW. Come on guys I know alot of V-dub drivers on here.

We just redid the front end on the tdi, all bilstein/febi parts and it was about $150ish for the parts.

Parts are cheap if you know where to look, i think its the labour that gives them bad rep, if your not a DIY'er take it to george at tunedub and he'll hook you up.

ekguy
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Might be going with another honda. But keep the info coming. Don't know what I'm getting yet.

btimbit
03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
A MK4 2.0 or TDI would be an excellent choice for a daily driver. Stuff to look out for? Just the usual. If it's got over 130 000k's on it make sure the timing belt and water pump are done. There's not any special problems the cars have, just normal maintenance.

George at Tunedub will do quality work for a lot less money than a dealer, and an extremely friendly guy as well. http://tunedub.ca/

People always say that parts are really expensive for VW's. They aren't, just the dealers are.

Then if you get tired of having a slow car, but like VW's, then just get a 1.8T or VR6 Jetta.

JimmyJones
03-17-2010, 09:33 PM
look for your balls and buy a real car

btimbit
03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JimmyJones

And you'd suggest.....?

adidas
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Parts are expensive from dealers.

Call in and ask for a random part and then u will realize how much it is compared to your current vehicle.

The 2.0L is slow as shit, within a week you will be asking for a 1.8T or a VR6, just drive all of them and figure out what suits u the best. The 1.8T and VR6 are money pits, the cars will always have something wrong with them. If you dont like working on a car and dont want to be spending money continuously then i suggest you look at a different brand.

But once the car is running and in good order, with a few mods they will look better then most cars on the road and will definitely set u apart from the rest. At least this is what i think, and its my opinion.

Not sure what else to add but if u got anymore questions PM me.

Shlade
03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Theres a sweet looking 1999 vr6 gti on here, i think hes asking 5500? Check that out looks like a wicked deal!

DonJuan
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JimmyJones

Yiiiikes! That took long.

I think Vdub is the wrong way to go in terms of reliability. They can be hit or miss. Why not do what everybody does and get alate 90's early 2000's Toyota, or Honda.

ekguy
03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Theres a sweet looking 1999 vr6 gti on here, i think hes asking 5500? Check that out looks like a wicked deal!

I was actually talking to him. But yeah I am going with an integra. For someone like me who doesn't know too much about working on cars I figured I could figure it out on a simple car like an Integra. If things go according to plan I am picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info either way. From what I read on here I probably would have decided against it. I can't be buying another money pit when I'll have one sitting in the driveway still...

2Valve0
03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
VW for reliability? Buy a honda man VW have way more problems then a honda ever will...:dunno:
As said above they are a hit or miss with alot being a complete miss, they are made to break as a friend at the dealership told me

Shlade
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

I was actually talking to him. But yeah I am going with an integra. For someone like me who doesn't know too much about working on cars I figured I could figure it out on a simple car like an Integra. If things go according to plan I am picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info either way. From what I read on here I probably would have decided against it. I can't be buying another money pit when I'll have one sitting in the driveway still...

lol its gonna be hard to tell wether your in the same lane as me when im in Chap without ur legend lol!

Hope you find a car that works out good for you dude

ekguy
03-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

lol its gonna be hard to tell wether your in the same lane as me when im in Chap without ur legend lol!

Hope you find a car that works out good for you dude

I might (and it's very big maybe) keep the legend...Probably not. The integra I'm buying is on here though so you'll see me still I'm sure.

What do you drive since you seem to have mentioned more than once that you've seen me in Chap hehe.

Shlade
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Haha Black Charger, Very Dark Tinted rear windows and blacked out taillights!

im more than sure youve seen me! And Definetly should remember the 22x ramp going onto Mac with you riding my ass ;)

Ps only reason I was going so slow was because my Radar was going off the charts with KA Band around haha!

ekguy
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh yeah I remember your car on the ramp. Sorry about that. I was in a huge rush. I'm excited to not have to pay almost 200$ a week in gas haha. My legend is fun but she needs a lot of work right now.

Runs great but she's rough around the edges and it's not the car for me right now.

Your car is pretty badass though. I've definitely seen you many many times. Nice car. Don't usually like Chargers but black, with tint and blacked out tails looks nice.

Shlade
03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks buddy, Hope you work things out tho man! Its a mint looking legend! if you do end up selling it tho make sure u get something just as nice!

And if your getting an integra... Make damn sure its mint haha!

ekguy
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
From what I can tell the Teg I'm getting is minty fresh hehe.. And no the legend is going to go up for sale. I'm sure someone can give it the attention it deserves I'm giving up on it. I don't have the time or money to fuck around with finding parts for this car.