PDA

View Full Version : Festival Ford in Red Deer - Service Department Issues

FN49
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I need to vent a little so here goes.

On March 1, 2009 I took my car to Festival Ford in Red Deer to have some warranty work done. The warranty was due to expire on March 15, 2009. The problems I listed were:

1. A loud noise on start up that only happened when it was cold (-15 C or colder) and seemed to be related to the accessories belt as the belt moved from side to side when this happened.
2. A cold start problem that happened at zero degrees C or colder where the car would turn over for a long time before starting if it started at all on the first attempt. If the ignition was cycled on and off 2 or 3 times and then turned to the start position, the car would start immediately.
3. The power steering fluid level had gone down, although it was still in acceptable range.

I dropped the car off in the morning and asked the service advisor if these issues would be covered by warranty. The service advisor told me these issues would be covered by warranty. To avoid any confusion I also gave the service advisor a letter that described the above issues I wanted addressed along with a note at the bottom saying: BEFORE DOING ANY WORK PLEASE CALL ME TO LET ME KNOW WHAT WILL BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. I WILL NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT AUTHORIZED BY ME. The service advisor read the letter and placed it with their other paperwork about the car.

Since it was a cold start problem that would probably not occur with a warm engine, the service advisor asked me if they could park it outside overnight and start it in the morning to see if they could replicate the problems. I agreed.

On Wednesday the service advisor called to tell me that the mechanic had found the problems with the noise on cold start. The car required a new belt and tensioner which they had to order in.

On Tuesday March 16, 2010, the service advisor called me to ask if I wanted to come in and discuss the cold start problem with herself and the mechanic as they could not reproduce the problem. I told her I didn’t think that would be of any value since I had already told both of them everything I could about it. They told me the other repair had been made, so I told her I would pick up the car in the afternoon.

The service advisor called me back about 10 minutes later to tell that they where charging me $104.95 as a diagnostic fee since they could not find the cold start problem.

When I went to the dealership I told the service advisor that I did not think the $104.95 charge was fair because:
1. No one had told me that there would be a diagnostic fee if no problem was found.
2. I had verbally asked her to call me for approval if anything was to be charged to me BEFOREHAND.
3. I had written her that I would pay for nothing unless it was approved by me first.

When I pointed out what I had wrote on the letter the service advisor took me to her manager. The service advisor then told me that by taking the car there to get serviced I had authorized them to charge me the diagnostic fee. After arguing with the manager and the service advisor for 10 minutes it was obvious they would not give me the car with out me paying the $104.95, so I paid and tried to leave. However the battery was dead so I had to get them to give me a boost. When I went back inside and asked the service advisor why the battery was dead she said “I don’t know we started it everyday.” I hope they did not wreck the battery. I will charge it and test it later. Although if they did damage it, I have no recourse.

I don’t agree with Ford’s policy of charging diagnostic time to the customer if they can’t find a problem. All it does is reward them for intermittent problems. Basically they are charging the customer for problems he has with his vehicle. I thought the whole idea of a warranty was not to pay for repairs. For all I know they never did any diagnostics on my car, they could have just started it once and when it didn’t exhibit the problem they may have never looked at it again. The more times a customer comes in for the same problem the more money they make. Even if I did agree with this policy it doesn’t matter. Even if I did agree with this policy it doesn’t matter. I clearly told them (verbally and in writing) to call me first BEFORE I was to be charged with anything. If I knew they would charge me diagnostics to find the cold start problem I wouldn’t bother to get them to look at it. I would have looked at it myself when the car was off warranty.

I called Ford Warranty and they basically were no help and took the side of the dealer.

I am very disappointed with Festival Ford and I will no longer buy ANYTHING from their dealership and I will encourage my friends and family to do the same. I think this is a poor way to conduct business and treat customers.

cocoabrova
03-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I was under the impression that if a car is under warranty, there shouldn't be ANY charge for diagnosing a problem that would've been covered by the warranty in the first place. I thought was the industry standard but obviously I'm mistaken, at least in this case....

FN49
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes I though so too.... However, since they can't find the problem they are basically saying that there is no problem and I am being charged for wasting there time. Unfortunately it has not been cold enough to replicate the problem. I had planned to take the car in for service in February but I was working out of town all month. I still can't believe Ford is charging me $104.95 because I have a problem with my car that only happens when it is cold. This is a good way for them to make money.

hampstor
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Have you called Ford of Canada? I've had intermitent problems that a dealer could not replicate either and I wasnt charged. Granted, that was a nissan.

Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre
Knowledgeable representatives can assist you Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

http://www.ford.ca/app/fo/en/customer_support.do

Edit: I removed the "Fraud" from your title and added in "Service Department Issues".

FN49
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah I tried calling them and they were no help what so ever. They basically told me the same thing as the dealer. The person I talked to on the phone wouldn't even let me speak to her manager because "That is Ford policy, it doesn't matter who you talk to." Great service.

RickDaTuner
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
The cold start problem is a very well known issue with the focus. It requires a PCM reprogram, 15 min job. Low power steering could be related to a failing pump, and the noise would coincide with that.

Fords new policy on warranty is what you have been told unfortunately, they have been operating like that for about 4 years now.
It is the service writers fault though for not explaining that to you.
This all comes as a result of people bringing their cars in for every little noise they think is a problem, It backs up the shop and costs money.
The technician looking at your car isn't working for free, and ford warranty will only pay a job if it can be diagnosed and repaired.

$104.95 sounds like the standard minimum shop fee...

I am not taking the shops side, as they surely do have some incompetent techs. You Definitely did get the poor end of the deal.

Ford has the best support for repair on the market, the have a very use full tech website called inford.
One quick check of your VIN shows all the recent recalls, Known problems and all the diagnostic routines one could ever want.
This all done with Fords Scan tool called IDS, you do not even have to type the VIN in, just plug the jumper to the OBDII port and away you go
The fact that those guys would not even bother to look at your car as per the service manual, means that they are just lazy

Actually if you PM your VIN I can give you a full details of your cars history and Known issues

Rat Fink
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM

FN49
03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
My car is an 06 Lincoln LS. They said they looked at all the TSB's. They also said they checked the fuel system. Very frustrating for me to pay $104.95 because I have a problem with my car. If I would have known this I would not have had them "diagnose" the problem. I have to fix this problem myself now anyways because it is off warranty. Just would have been nice to save $104.95 especially since I ASKED THEM VERBALLY and IN WRITING to tell me IF anything was not covered by the warranty.

RickDaTuner
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
somewhere reading your reply I though I saw Focus....

Shlade
03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Ford fucking sucks for their warranty and every one of the dealers or managers are fucking dbags,

bignerd
03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
How is fair that they charge you though if they are the ones unable to reproduce the noise/issues/problem?

SKR
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
How is fair that they charge you though if they are the ones unable to reproduce the noise/issues/problem?

How fair is it that the tech works for free if he can't replicate whatever issue the customer has? It's not his fault that the OP's car sometimes has a problem and sometimes it doesn't.

The OP probably should have been told that he'd be charged if they couldn't find a problem, but what are you going to do, never get it looked at? You can say that you don't think you should have to pay if they don't find a problem, but when the problem comes and goes and they say that you will have to pay for labor if they don't find anything, you're options are either leaving it to get worse or taking a chance and authorizing an attempt at diagnosing it.

FN49
03-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by SKR

How fair is it that the tech works for free if he can't replicate whatever issue the customer has? It's not his fault that the OP's car sometimes has a problem and sometimes it doesn't.

I can see your point. Nobody wants to work for free. Personally I think Ford Canada should pay the tech for his time if he can't find a problem. But then why would they want to find a problem if they can charge you a service fee every time you bring it in. Basically they are charging me $104.95 because I have a problem on the car that they can't or are unwilling to find. However if this is their policy that is fine, JUST COMMUNICATE THIS TO THE CUSTOMER BEFORE HAND ESPECIALLY IF HE ASKS IF ANY CHARGES WILL APPLY TO HIM. If I knew this was the case I would not have had them look at this problem. I would have told them if you can't reproduce it on start up while diagnosing the noise problem don't proceed any further.