PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Footwork

4wheeldrift
12-03-2003, 06:30 PM
One lap of Sears Point in Gary Sheehan's USTCC WRX.

http://www.teamsmr.com/movies/Footbox%20Small.wmv

GTS Jeff
12-03-2003, 08:57 PM
very smooth.

/////AMG
12-03-2003, 09:03 PM
:eek: WOW! Really smooth and crazy foot work.:thumbsup:

rice_eater
12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
what the hell is so good about it?:dunno:

YCB
12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
while he's heel toe'N".. when he presses the clutch 2wice.. is that double clutching??

4wheeldrift
12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
what the hell is so good about it?:dunno: Can you pull off three perfect heel-toe downshifts back to back in the middle of a heavy braking zone then transition smoothly back to the gas while winding the wheel smoothly in to maximize weight transfer and corner entry grip? I know I can do some of those things, one at a time. Thats what makes the video cool, to see someone who can do it all at once, smoothly and consistently.

DUBBED
12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
i thoroughly enjoy watching pro footwork...

i wanna learn to drive like that soooo bad....

my pedals are too close together or my feet are too big... i cant decide which though

EK 2.0
12-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Wow...I can't get enough of that...that is some amazing driving...Kinda wish I could see how the WRX was reacting to his inputs though...and what he was doing you know??...but wicked sick driving nonetheless...

4wheeldrift
12-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Wow...I can't get enough of that...that is some amazing driving...Kinda wish I could see how the WRX was reacting to his inputs though...and what he was doing you know??...but wicked sick driving nonetheless... Strip the file name off that, and there's a bunch of other videos posted there. More in cars like that, as well as outside views from the same track. Interesting to compare.

rc2002
12-03-2003, 10:35 PM
That guy is insanely good! He makes it look so easy...

fj0
12-04-2003, 05:33 AM
why do ya "double-clutch"?

is it like for not letting the engine to stall when you brake in?

Ben
12-04-2003, 05:54 AM
How to Double Clutch:

If you wish to double clutch during a downshift, perform the following in sequence:

1. Let off the throttle and press in the clutch. Shift your car into Neutral.

2. Let out the clutch.

3. Give your car a quick Blip on the throttle to make the rev's jump.

4. Press in the clutch.

5. Because you blipped the throttle and it in the upper RPM range, as the engine speed decreases you will be able to shift into a lower gear because the engine speed and tranny spead will syncronized (Rev Matching). It should shift smoothly!

6. Now let the clutch out. You have now Revmatched into a lower gear using the Double Clutching Meathod.

Now of course you have to do this in about 1 second or so to be cool...doing this in the span of 10 seconds sounds like ass and makes you uncool :tongue:

Combining the rev matching with a heal toe manouver is also desirable if approaching a corner at a high rate of speed during a road race. Blip the throttle with your heal as you're modulating brake pressure with the ball of your feet.

fj0
12-04-2003, 10:27 AM
:bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
12-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ben
How to Double Clutch:

If you wish to double clutch during a downshift, perform the following in sequence:

1. Let off the throttle and press in the clutch. Shift your car into Neutral.

2. Let out the clutch.

3. Give your car a quick Blip on the throttle to make the rev's jump.

4. Press in the clutch.

5. Because you blipped the throttle and it in the upper RPM range, as the engine speed decreases you will be able to shift into a lower gear because the engine speed and tranny spead will syncronized (Rev Matching). It should shift smoothly!

6. Now let the clutch out. You have now Revmatched into a lower gear using the Double Clutching Meathod.

Now of course you have to do this in about 1 second or so to be cool...doing this in the span of 10 seconds sounds like ass and makes you uncool :tongue:

Combining the rev matching with a heal toe manouver is also desirable if approaching a corner at a high rate of speed during a road race. Blip the throttle with your heal as you're modulating brake pressure with the ball of your feet. a person like u and i can heel-toe-double-clutch in about 1 second, but that guy was doing it pretty damned fast! i duno if it really helps tho.

heh as 4wdrift said, we can do some of those things like heeltoe-dbl clutching, or successive heel-toes....but to do both at the same time like near the end of the vid? :eek: :eek: that guy hit the clutch 6 times in about 2 seconds!!!

littledan
12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
he has to double-clutch on his heel/toe because it's a dog-gear box right? ie. no syncros?

GTS Jeff
12-04-2003, 01:51 PM
possible. most race cars have race cut syncros though. i think dog box is the term for most modern trannies. Like yours and my car.

4wheeldrift
12-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
possible. most race cars have race cut syncros though. i think dog box is the term for most modern trannies. Like yours and my car. A dog box is a tranny with no syncros and straight cut gears, like a motorcycle. clutchless upshifts, double clutch rev matched downshifts.

And as far as I know, that car is still using the stock tranny with an uprated clutch.

hjr
12-05-2003, 05:23 PM
ahh. interesting. great vid man. Awsome footwork. I cannot double clutch like that. very impressive.

SwitchBlade
12-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Why is it desirable to rev match while downshifting? Does it give you more consistent power around the corner? Or is it so you dont lose any power when the two gears meet again?

Kamen
12-07-2003, 02:29 AM
WOW. That was an amazing vid. I wish I could do something 10% like that...I suck at driving manual...haven't had much time...

Dj_Stylz
12-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Wow that looks so cool:thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
12-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
Why is it desirable to rev match while downshifting? Does it give you more consistent power around the corner? Or is it so you dont lose any power when the two gears meet again? It actually has nothing to do with power at all. If you shift really rough, it can cause the weight to transfer back to the rear wheels, meaning you need to load the fronts up again before corner entry to get maximum grip (this sudden weight transfer can also REALLY unsettle the car, not a desirable thing if you plan on staying on the pavement). Because your foot never leaves the brake during a heel-toe shift, the weight stays on the front wheels and your shift is a lot smoother so it doesn't upset the balance of the car.

frostyda9
12-07-2003, 03:29 PM
:thumbsup: Very nice.

Looks like a Sunday cruise in a G2 Integra :rofl: :rolleyes: