PDA

View Full Version : Steamy text messages lands Dubai couple in jail

urban.one
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Youve got to be aware of local laws when you travel.

Steamy text messages lands Dubai couple in jail

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (AP) — — The Associated Press
Published on Wednesday, Mar. 17, 2010 2:08PM EDT

A string of steamy text messages has resulted in a jail sentence for an Indian couple, authorities announced Wednesday, in the latest case of passions clashing with the law in the cosmopolitan, yet occasionally conservative, Gulf city of Dubai.

The conviction said the sexual content of the texts suggested the unnamed pair planned to “commit sin” — a reference to an extramarital affair, which is illegal in the United Arab Emirates.

The pair, who worked as cabin crew for Emirates airlines, each were sentenced to three months in jail, said authorities. Court documents only gave their initials and their ages: 42 for her and 47 for him.

The text messages surfaced in a divorce lawsuit by the woman's estranged husband.

A court in December sentenced the Indian couple to six months in jail followed by deportation, but an appeals court reduced the jail time and gave them the option to remain in the country.

It's not the first time that emotions have run afoul with authorities in Dubai, where the expatriate population exceeds the locals by more than 4-to-1. The city-state allows one of the most relaxed lifestyles in the Arab world, but officials can come down hard on those accused of pushing the limits of tolerance.

Earlier this week, a British couple said they will appeal a one-month jail sentence for exchanging a fiery kiss in a restaurant.

In 2008, two Britons were sentenced to three months in jail for what authorities described as sex on the beach. The sentences were later suspended.

bubbley
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
:rofl: id be given a sentence of life....everyday if i was there.

So strict..yet they have hookers everywhere.

mr2mike
03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Screen capture of sext message... pretty steamy :poosie:

http://mohamed.milyani.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/foo_01.png

JordanAndrew
03-17-2010, 01:47 PM
err.. what does it say? :confused:

scat19
03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
LOL

3drian
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
wow thats crazy.. Ill keep that in mind today when im drunk, im going to pretend to be in the United Arab Emirates so I dont cheat on my girl haha

CUG
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I wanted to sex all of the ME girls when I was there.

rx7boi
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Shoulda used metaphors haha

D'z Nutz
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

It says:

Him: Where did you get those shorts? Blue Navy?
Her: Yeah, they were on sale.

We all know what a bit of visible skin means in the middle east :love: :poosie:

Sugarphreak
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM

wesseam
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

You have a voice mail from.......

A790
03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Fuck Dubai, what a joke of a country.

Sure, respect other laws. I get that. Respect other cultures, I get that.

But would I ever travel there? Fuck that. I feel like I'd have to sit inside my hotel, never leave, never text, never use the internet, etc.

Fuck that.

HyperZell
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by A790

Sure, respect other laws. I get that. Respect other cultures, I get that.

But would I ever travel there? Fuck that. I feel like I'd have to sit inside my hotel, never leave, never text, never use the internet, etc.

Fuck that.

Dubai is...Dubai is a city. An emirate, to be exact.

ICEBERG
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by A790

Screw that. They will have the best roller coaster in the world.:D

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/500x_500x_ferrari_roller_coaster.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5495858/dubais-ferrari-world-roller-coasters-please-please-dont-break

A790
03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Dubai is...Dubai is a city. An emirate, to be exact.

My bad. I was mad and misspoke (typed?).

shakalaka
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Just the other day I read in the paper that a British couple was jailed for a month cause they made out in the public. Weird laws for sure, but if you visit there just follow them, as simple as that.

Redlyne_mr2
03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Its funny how we all follow the ways of their country as well as many others ut when they come here they do what they want.

A790
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Its funny how we all follow the ways of their country as well as many others ut when they come here they do what they want.
Was just thinking that.

R154
03-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

And this is why I want to punch every shithead in the face who comes here and try to change our laws. Tell us our founding principles are less important then their "equality". Without fail, it is almost exclusively muslims. Go wash your fucking feet in your own country. Go fuck yourself. If I want to come to your country why shouldnt you bend to my will aswell then?

Why should we give you a millimeter, if in your country your ass backwards laws are never liable to change?

Once again, you must observe the laws of the land, no matter how ridiculous they are. These people, unfortunetly, got pwned by and archaic and stupid fairtale inspired "system of law".

I know some of you little shits will get all bothered and endlessly pound your keyboards with cute little passive aggressive "attacks". Go ahead, remember to spell check that shit atleast twice. Thats how much I care about you, and your opinion.

st184
03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by R154

And this is why I want to punch every shithead in the face who comes here and try to change our laws. Tell us our founding principles are less important then their "equality". Without fail, it is almost exclusively muslims. Go wash your fucking feet in your own country. Go fuck yourself. If I want to come to your country why shouldnt you bend to my will aswell then?

Why should we give you a millimeter, if in your country your ass backwards laws are never liable to change?

Once again, you must observe the laws of the land, no matter how ridiculous they are. These people, unfortunetly, got pwned by and archaic and stupid fairtale inspired "system of law".

I know some of you little shits will get all bothered and endlessly pound your keyboards with cute little passive aggressive "attacks". Go ahead, remember to spell check that shit atleast twice. Thats how much I care about you, and your opinion.
:clap: Couldn't have said it better myself.

g-m
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM

I know some of you little shits will get all bothered and endlessly pound your keyboards with cute little passive aggressive "attacks". Go ahead, remember to spell check that shit atleast twice. Thats how much I care about you, and your opinion. here here!

Kona9
03-18-2010, 06:35 PM

A-fuckin-Men!!

CUG
03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't think that's racist, or fascist at all. That's a legitimate statement.

Tolerance aids expansion though, and if you were sick of the very subtle and very small bit of religious influence Canada had when the country still possessed a national identity, wait until a less forgiving doctrine takes its place.

There's nothing redneck about wanting to keep Canada - Canada.

People should be allowed to practice their faith as long as it doesn't interfere with its members rights or the rights of others. (ie: the knife in school, the head-to-toe dress. Someone tried to sell me that it was "their choice", when we well know that non-compliance would raise absolute hell in her home. She has no choice but to advocate wearing a black ghost halloween costume)

Has anyone accidentally peed in the foot wash stations yet?

Antonito
03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
:rofl: So CUG, what'd that take you, less than a week to completely 180 on your stance about that kind of statement? Lick my balls indeed

freshprince1
03-19-2010, 09:34 AM

It's because they see other beliefs as inferior and that everyone needs to "revert" back to Islam. So they remain rigid on the beliefs in their own country, and go to other countries exploiting the liberal equality laws to insert thier beliefs. And, Western Democracies are rolling out the red carpet for them in the name of forward-thinking open-minded equality for all. Unfortunately, not everyone plays by the same rules.

Flame suit on.

R154 for President.

97'Scort
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with R154. When was the last time you had a Hindu, Taoist, Confucian, or Buddhist person come up to you and complain that they're not accepted? They're everywhere, but they just happily go on their own way and they don't bother anybody else. Even the Jewish religion (which isn't nearly a prevalent in Canada as it is in the US) which has a MASSIVE presence in politics and media, rarely -if ever- uses that presence to further religious goals (not talking about the Israel debate here, strictly religious).

It's always the more hardcore Muslims and Christians that get in your face about it, and they wonder why Joe Canuck gets a little tired of it.

beyond_ban
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I agree with R154.

With that being said, i will now wisely hold my tongue and sit on my hands.

CUG
03-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
:rofl: So CUG, what'd that take you, less than a week to completely 180 on your stance about that kind of statement? Lick my balls indeed I invite you to lick my testicles at any time in the future while you're in Calgary, or while I'm passing through Vancouver.