PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good locksmith to fix an ignition key cylinder on a car

lbrowne
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
On my friend's 00 GTP, the key cylinder is locked in the off position, I think the tumbers are screwed.

Do you know of a good spot to call or where not to call?

thanks,

lbrowne

ianmcc
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Are you sure it's the tumbler?
My bet is it's the key release solenoid. It should be mounted to the shifter under the console (you may need to remove the console to get to it).
Have you tried the manual release to get the key out? There should be a plug on the steering column under the key-remove and stick a piece of coat hanger or a small drill bit in the hole to release the key.

lbrowne
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
My bet is it's the key release solenoid. It should be mounted to the shifter under the console (you may need to remove the console to get to it).
Have you tried the manual release to get the key out? There should be a plug on the steering column under the key-remove and stick a piece of coat hanger or a small drill bit in the hole to release the key.

Nope it's not the solenoid. That release button is for when the key gets stuck in the ignition. This one doesn't have that problem.

You put in a key, it will not turn whatsoever. Either forwards to turn on or backwards for accessories. Jiggle back n forth, tap the end of the key, wheels are perfectly straight so it's not the steering lock even though I tried turnin the wheel a bit just to give it a shot.

Tried 3 keys, they open the doors no sweat. Not one will turn the ignition cylinder.

It's the equivalent of trying to turn the ignition without a key in it.

Zero102
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc

I think he is saying he can't turn it FROM the off position, i.e. to start the car.

If that is the case it likely is a tumbler issue. I would try spraying some graphite into the lock or spraying it on a key and inserting it a few times and wiggling it around. That tends to free up stuck lock cylinders for me. Unless there has been physical damage to the lock the worst it should be is stuck.

*EDIT*
From the second post it does sound like the steering wheel lock. Even if the wheel is not locked it may still be the lock solenoid that is the problem.

lbrowne
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Already sprayed stuff in there and wiggled n jiggled. No dice.

I've tried combinations of crankin the wheel, pushing the solenoid button and wigglin the key, also tried turning off the shiftlock and trying it in neutral. I've damn near became a contortionist! lol

Steering lock?? The wheels have been left completely straight while its sat during the winter....

anothers10
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I know it sounds stupid but are you using the right key ?

lbrowne
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
I know it sounds stupid but are you using the right key ?

I know this sounds stupid but did you read all the posts? ;)

I have the original factory sets of keys, and the also the keys open and lock the doors....

anothers10
03-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by lbrowne

I know this sounds stupid but did you read all the posts? ;)

I have the original factory sets of keys, and the also the keys open and lock the doors....

Ha Ha I guess I missed the part where you said "I tried 3 keys"

sjaswal
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
other GM products also had this problem

I managed to fix one by spraying electrical cleaner, then some sort of lubricant, cant remember the type now.
will update thread if I find a link

ianmcc
03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I hope it isn't like a Ford Focus tumbler-you gotta drill that bitch out once it get's stuck!

lbrowne
03-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Just so everyone knows, Calgary Lock and Safe did great work.

Had the car fixed in an hour.

I believe they eventually had to partially drill the cylinder it was locked in there that good. You normally don't have to do that unless it's froze in place like mine was.

crapstixs
03-24-2010, 10:13 PM
seriously your going to have so much fun with this, ive been down this road befor many times. to get the lock cylinder out you have to put the key in and turn it one click forward push the release button in and pull the cylinder out. if it dosent move you have to lay down some serious volience. every one will just say "oh just drill it out" good luck with that, your going to need alot of drill bits.

sjaswal
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs
seriously your going to have so much fun with this, ive been down this road befor many times. to get the lock cylinder out you have to put the key in and turn it one click forward push the release button in and pull the cylinder out. if it dosent move you have to lay down some serious volience. every one will just say "oh just drill it out" good luck with that, your going to need alot of drill bits.

The post says it's fixed by calgary lock and safe (by drilling and other means)