PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Thailand

outrageousrich
03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I am trying to find out more info on backpacking in Thailand.
Any one have suggestions (do's and don'ts) or websites I can go to for a first timer
Anyone have good stories

Thanks

Hi-Psi
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I always recommend TravBuddy. It's a great site for meeting other travels, reading/writing travel blogs and the forums are really useful for backpacking info on almost every destination in the world.

You have to sign up but that's simple and easy. I have a blog on my page from when I backpacked Asia.

Here's a link to the site.

http://www.travbuddy.com/register.php?ref=13315

My name is CalgaryJay on there.

RickDaTuner
03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Area to avoid as of right now are Chiang Mai and some parts of Bangkok. there is a heavy amount of civil protest taking place.

I get a Email from the US consulate in Bangkok every time there is potential civil unrest. and this was the warning I received today

But other than the major cities, Thailand is a freaking safe place to visit, especially as a foreigner, they don't call it the land of smiles for nothing.

I also recommend Mae Hong son. this is where you can find the Karen hill tribe people, they are the ones that wear the rings around there necks . The city itself though is super traditional and has an awesome view.

Dumbass17
03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
hey man

i'm headed there march 31st

i found this website to be pretty helpful

http://www.travelindependent.info/asia-southeast.htm

just scroll down to thailand

B20EF
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I travelled by bus everywhere. Many people fly because it's also very cheap. I just felt safer on a bus. If you do go by bus only travel on VIP busses and only buy your tickets at the bus station. Use the government kiosk only. It's much better regulated than private companies. If you pay for a VIP bus with the goverment ticket you know you're getting a comfy seat, the others anybodies guess.
As for pricing it's still cheap to travel VIP. From Bangkok to Chiang Mai it's 8-10 hours. This cost me about $17. Your seats recline, very airconditoned - so much that I always wore a sweater, and they give you food on the bus.

outrageousrich
03-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the info,
any suggested sites for airfare and hostles prices
thanks in advance

davidI
03-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Don't book hostels in advance - just do it on arrival.

AirAsia.com is cheap.

Travelfish.org has plenty of info. There are other posts on beyond with plenty of info as well if you do a search. The Lonely Planet forums have a ton as well.

If you have more specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help. I've been there 4 times for the total of a few months so have seen most of country.

rinny
03-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Lonely Planet Travel forums is where the first-hand information is at.

Cant recommend this site enough for any place. Any question any answer can be found here!

maxomilll
03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
when you get there. go to ko san road in bangkok and stay at the D&D haha lots of backpackers there and a pool on the roof :P. BUT ko san road sucks. actually so does bangkok so i'd recommend getting outta there as fast as possible. like B20EF said VIP buss's are the cheapest and easiest ways around. Airasia is also very cheap. try to deal with government transports, there most legit.

and man do not pay 500bht for a fucking cab. seems like a good deal in the conversion rate but its a fucking rip off, tell them to turn on the god dam meter. you should pay about 250baht from the air port to ko san road. also there should be a shuttle bus for 150baht (if you can find it).
umm you'll learn tons and tons, almost everyone try's to rip you off so basically just use common sense.
your going to have an awesome time. defiantly check out the islands there off the hook.

outrageousrich
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Has anyone travelled to Thailand alone, if so for how many days. My concern is that I would get lost and end up on the wrong side of town, unless thats the whole point of backpacking.
Just don't know where to begin is all

tch7
03-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by outrageousrich
My concern is that I would get lost and end up on the wrong side of town, unless thats the whole point of backpacking.
That is the point.

It's good to have something planned for your first days after arriving from overseas, but beyond that, just go where the mood takes you.

B20EF
03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I personally hated khao san road in Bangkok. I did get drugged there though so I'm biased, luckily the wife dragged me home. We preferred the area of Klong Tan Nuea. Nicer hotels and close to the skytrain.

outrageousrich
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Yo you got drugged willingly?
has anyone travelled alone to thailand?

So all I have to do is just buy a one way ticket to Thailand and go from there for a few weeks

Dumbass17
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
i'm headed there on wednesday

i booked an exit ticket because i've read that they may not let you onto the entry plane INTO thailand because you can't prove onward travel.

i think you really need to check out some sites

such as voyage.gc.ca

kaput
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM

B20EF
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by outrageousrich
Yo you got drugged willingly?
has anyone travelled alone to thailand?

So all I have to do is just buy a one way ticket to Thailand and go from there for a few weeks

No not willingly. Someone spiked my drink or food. One minute I'm eating dinner, next thing I remember it's afternoon the next day.
You need to buy a return ticket. They wont let you leave Canada if you don't.

Dumbass17
04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
fyi, i got in with a oneway ticket
no questions asked
your call
i'll let you know if my buddies get harassed i na few days when they try to enter witha oneway as well

l/l/rX
04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Up until yesterday BKK was good, but now the state is in a state of emergency at the moment. They can stop travelers but entering and leaving the country at the moment.

This is coming from my friend who is currently living in BKK.