PDA

View Full Version : Ball/Street Hockey

if6was9
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Just wondering is anyone plays this in the city?

Where it takes place? What equipment one would need?

I would like to get out and run around.

I done a search but it didn't give me much.

revelations
03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Try Calgary sport and social club

dezmarez
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
http://calgary.superleagues.ca/

Try there,
tons of different divisions depending on skill,
you play right out of hockey arenas, obviously with no ice..

for that league,
you just needed a helmet/visor, gloves and a stick...

some guys would wear shin pads, and a can...

kaput
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Marsh
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I just signed up for the rec league this spring through these guys but I'm starting to regret it after reading all their rules. It sounds like they take the sportsmanship and rules thing way too far, so I'm not sure if it will be any fun. I'm imagining a bunch of mormons running around with two hands always on the stick and the blade glued to the floor like a human game of table top hockey. Good try brother Michael, maybe next time Jesus will help guide your shot.

Yeah its a shitty league, they dont even keep score and give you 'sportsmanship' points at the end of the game...one guy on my team got booted from the game for cheering to much after he scored a goal..just utter bs.

Try Royal Hockey League (RHL), its pretty sick..i think its starting up really quickly though

wardpr68
03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
superleagues is the way to go.

kaput
03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

revelations
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Yeah its a shitty league, they dont even keep score and give you 'sportsmanship' points at the end of the game...one guy on my team got booted from the game for cheering to much after he scored a goal..just utter bs.

Was this the case for the advanced levels too? I've never played hockey with these guys, I've just heard about the league.

Canucks3322
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I just signed up for the rec league this spring through these guys but I'm starting to regret it after reading all their rules. It sounds like they take the sportsmanship and rules thing way too far, so I'm not sure if it will be any fun. I'm imagining a bunch of mormons running around with two hands always on the stick and the blade glued to the floor like a human game of table top hockey. Good try brother Michael, maybe next time Jesus will help guide your shot.

It can get pretty lame, but the cute girls make up for it. :thumbsup:

if6was9
03-19-2010, 08:19 AM
^^I wouldn't being playing for the girls... haha

I will look into the things suggested, thanks.

I don't mind if the thread is 'jacked' as long as it pertains to the subject!

It's all good.

Edit: I don't have that kind of money for Superleagues... FML.

Mar
03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I play ball hockey in the recreational league, they do keep score, there's a game coordinator that does so. The only differences I find from a competitive league is that you have to give any player in the corner with the ball 3 seconds before you can go after them. And bringing your blade above your waist at any time is high sticking.

darkrider911
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
My buddies in Calgary do their own league, it gets pretty intense and they're quite a bit more loose in terms of the rules, and they usually keep stats:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=31446216333

I think they just closed registration.... but they do two seasons a year, one starting in April that usually lasts 13 games(not including playoffs) and in September which usually lasts 20 games(also not including playoffs). They play outdoors at the same rink and usually each team plays 1 game a week(all on the same day/night) but it's fun and most of these guys are pretty good(not great but they do have skill). Sadly there's no girls that play in this league.