PDA

View Full Version : Recent engineering grad looking for work/advice

zieg
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I debated posting this for a long time, and even had something pretty long typed out, but I've just decided to throw this out there and see what kind of replies I get. I know there are engineers on here, so I'm hoping for some good feedback...

Here's my story. I graduated in 2008 with a Diploma of Technology in Mechanical Engineering. I then spent about 8 months doing cad drafting (With some design work on the side) for a small company, and got laid off when the company ran out of money. This was all in Vancouver.

Fast forward to now, I've moved to Calgary and am having a really tough time finding work. I know this is kind of a bad time to be entering the work force, but I can't really do much about that. I'm also married, and my wife and I are wanting to buy a house, as soon as I have a job that will qualify for a half decent mortgage.

My options as I see them are these:

1. Keep looking for engineering work for as long as it takes

2. Get a job doing something else and work for scratch while I keep looking for an engineering job

3. Get back into debt with student loans, go back to school and rent for another couple of years, and hope that when I graduate again (I want a degree sometime anyhow), the economy will have turned around and I will find work easily

I'm leaning toward option 2 at the moment, but I am a bit worried that it would take away from the time I have to look for real work.

Option 3 is my second choice. I really don't want to go back into debt at this point, but I'm starting to seriously consider it. I should be able to get credit for all of the 1st year at the U of C, so degree in 3 years.

The main thing that's killing me right now, in my opinion, is my lack of experience. Most of the engineering jobs I am seeing call for 5-10+ years of experience.

My other issue is that since I have moved cities, I don't know many people here and don't have much of a network set up, so all of these 'hidden job market' positions are unavailable to me. Does anyone have some suggestions as to how I might go about meeting engineers and so on when I don't have a job?

Lastly, if there are any engineers on here who know about any openings that I might not have seen on the job boards, or you could recommend places I could go with an unsolicited application, I would really appreciate hearing about them. My best case scenario job would probably be something that involves 3d design. I like/am good at 2d and 3d CAD, and would love to make a career out of it.

Well, there I go writing a big long book again, but I think it's necessary. Be kind. =\

kaput
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM

CokerRat
03-18-2010, 07:00 PM
^ agree. Beyond the simple economics of it, getting a B.Sc will open many more doors for you than your diploma.

zieg
03-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Hmm, good point. Well there's no question I want to go back to school and get my degree, but I was planning to wait a few years, get some more work experience and then go back. Of course, that was before all this time spent unemployed. I've also been thinking about taking night classes, that might be the best of both worlds.

realazy
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I would say go back to school. During school though, max out your summer/co-op/internship jobs and gain your experience that way. The hiring criteria for those are much less strict. These jobs pay pretty decent and should minimize your debt.

Jlude
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd say go back and get your Masters. Then when you're done that, the economy will hopefully be much improved.

Pahnda
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I'd say go back and get your Masters. Then when you're done that, the economy will hopefully be much improved.

A BSc. may be the next step :bigpimp:

Jlude
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda

A BSc. may be the next step :bigpimp:

Sorry, I thought he already had his BSc

Go back and get the engineering degree, only 2 more years.... and if the economy is still shit, borrow some more money and go back and get your masters.

turbotrip
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
if you are 100% sure you want to get a degree then you should go back now; otherwise stick with option 2

bastardchild
03-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Time to start your own business bro.

I never rely on jobs. Relying on a job is like gambling in my opinion. Anything can happen.

People fail to realize school is a business. Just because you have a degree in mechanical engineering doesn't mean every company is going to beg you to work for them. Its about who you know in the industry. I know tonnes of spoiled rich kids who are dumb as shit and their parents hook them up in the oil industry with no school what so ever.

Its sad, but the world is unfair. :banghead:

Spoons
03-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Would you not qualify for the new EI benifits? Technically you are already a skilled worker, looking to go back to school to increase your knowledge. Sounds like you apply to that.

Go back to school and take advantage of the free money. Also you are getting student loans at a very low intrest rate as well, while if you waited it would be higher.

aram1000
03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
if you want to be a P.Eng down the road, go back to school, it will be worth it in the long run. It took me 4.5 years to land an actual Engineering job after school, so its not uncommon to wait a bit. I did work in the software industry though, so my work experience was valuable. I know the Calgary market is hurting a bit, but i know in Sask, in the long run we are going to be short some engineers due to aging population retiring, so i know in the medium to longer term,there are going to be opportunities with work here. Also i'm sure once the Energy situation stabalizes more projects will start, hence more work. I mean while debt sucks, its student debt so you have more flexibility there.

jfit09
03-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I took the Electrical Engineering Tech program at SAIT, however I didn't pursue a career in the field. I have many friends who found jobs as EET's they end up actually being electrician apprentices, its a crap job. Moral of the story is, go for your P.Eng you get a lot more respect and a higher pay scale. Going back to school is never a bad choice I still don't regret going to SAIT to never pursue a job in the field. As far a buying a house, don't worry about it too much you can buy a much nicer house as a engineer.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
IF, and it's a big IF, you are serious about going back to do your B.Sc, then now is the best time to do it. The economy might take two years to turn around, and you'll be poised to take full advantage.
Also,
1) No mortgage
2) No kids
3) Not quitting a good job, or any job.

If you wait till you have a mortgage, a good job and kids, you won't be able to go back.

That being said, a lot of people go to University misguided about what it's going to be like. Especially "mature" students. They think it's like sait only better. Well, it ain't. It's like sait, only with more politics, less mature students, and fewer people who give a shit if you live or die.

I went to UofC Engineering, and I'm happy with where it got me, but I really don't feel that the four years I spent there were particularly useful.

Find out if university is really what you want to do. Hell, while you are unemployed, go sit in a few eng lectures. See what you think.