PDA

View Full Version : if i have a gdl in canada when i go to bc will i have to upgrade?

jessito
03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
i have had my gdl for a year now and was going to go and upgrade, but i am moving to bc in 2 weeks and was wondering if i should upgrade it now where i know the roads, or not upgrade it and just go out there.

97'Scort
03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes, it's worth it a bit. If you have a full-bore Alberta license, you don't have to bother with the "L" or "N" designations. However, you have to surrender your Alberta license and plates if you sign on with ICBC anyways, so unless you can get the physical card in your hand before two weeks are out (here's a hint: you can't) then you're SOL.

spike98
03-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
so unless you can get the physical card in your hand before two weeks are out (here's a hint: you can't) then you're SOL.

Why cant you? It took me 7 business days to get my card about a month ago.

A790
03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
FYI, BC is part of Canada. You will have to go through all hte hoops once you get to BC. I'd get your full AB license mailed to your current mailing address and have it forwarded to your BC residence, then get your full BC license. You don't have to change your licenses over for 3 months :)

97'Scort
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by spike98
Why cant you? It took me 7 business days to get my card about a month ago.
You scheduled a driving exam and got your license in the mail in under two weeks? If he'd already done the test then yes, but I somehow doubt he'd get all that done in two weeks.

jwslam
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

You scheduled a driving exam and got your license in the mail in under two weeks? If he'd already done the test then yes, but I somehow doubt he'd get all that done in two weeks.
I went to schedule an exam and the guy was available the next day? :dunno:
But yea. The card took about 2 weeks to get here.

PS. Epic fail on the thread title.

CMW403
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
yeah, once you cross the international border between Canada and British Columbia you're gonna have to get your drivers license all over again. don't forget you're passport:thumbsup:

bourge73
03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
jessito
are you female?

jessito
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
jwslam screw you man, epic fail ya your so cool, suck a dick

and no im not a female i dont see how that relates at all to this conversation but ya

thanx to everyone else that actually helped without being an internet goof, i think i got the info i need

FraserB
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM
The whole thread is moot since you can't upgrade to a non-GDL license after only a year. The actual time that has to be spent on the GDL license is 2 years.

:closed:

EDIT: LOL thread title:nut:

jessito
03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
umm no. you definately can upgrade to a non gdl after one year. so ya you are wrong.

Tik-Tok
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
What happens if I move out of Alberta while still in the GDL program?

Most provinces have a GDL program therefore your time in the program in Alberta will likely be credited toward the requirement in another province. It is best to check with the province you are moving to for more information.

Conditions for Drivers in the Probationary Stage

* Must spend a minimum of two years as a probationary driver to be eligible to move to the next stage

http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers_gdl_qa.html

Dilmah
03-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Enough with trashing this guy and let’s answer him with facts...
First, are you going to be a landed immigrant from Canada to BC or are you planning to give up your Canadian citizenship and taking up citizenship in BC. Of course you’re going to want to get a green card before you leave Canada, you can’t apply for it once you’re in BC, unless of course you’re claiming refugee status from Canada and we all know how hard that is. You could always say you are from the country of Saskatchewan and then avoid Canada altogether... Just a thought...

drewb
03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I knew exactly how the responses would go in this thread just from reading the title.

:facepalm:

cancer man
03-20-2010, 08:10 AM
I think if you go to the AMA they can issue an international license.