PDA

View Full Version : Strange Alternator Whine Problem

jay.low
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm getting alternator whine, but it seems to come and go. It's there when I start driving but after about 10 minutes of driving, it disappears. Also, it's only there when I'm using my aux cable but CDs and the radio play clean. Not sure how to tackle this one since it's only the aux cable. I guess I could get another cable, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could try before I order one. Any suggestions?

jacky4566
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
is it a whine through the speakers or from the alternator?
is it stock radio? if not you most likely have a grounding problem since your aux is not properly grounded internal in the radio. go buy a noise isolator and put that on your ground.

jay.low
03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jacky. The whine comes through the speakers. Head unit is after market. It's actually this cable that I'm using for aux. Should I be giving the ground wire its own grounding point? If not, then I'll just go find me a noise isolator.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=89&CategoryID=22

I know it's kind of a cheapo cable, but I like the versatility it provides. I can make use of my iPod but can swap and use my cellphone through the stereo for a pseudo-handsfree use.