PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Experience: Concept 1

CSMRX7
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Over the past couple of weeks I have had a very poor experience with Concept 1.

I had been looking for a Dyno for a while to do a baseline pre and post SC. Concept 1 came recomended so I gave them a call early last week. I was a bit concerned at firsT that they had not run their dyno all winter but they assured me that they could book me in for the following Wednesday. It was a week away which was a bit long but I was ok with that.

Wednesday rolls around, I take the afternoon off work and I am in my car on the way there when I get a call saying they won't be ready for me. Problem is the software needs updating. I understand that there are complications but seriously you had to wait until 15 minutes before my appointment to call about software you haven't installed??? They had over a week to figure it out but didn't have the Courtesy be a responsible business and provide professional service and give me reasonable notice.

Well one mistake I can forgive so we set up an appointment for Friday, and they guarantee that this should be adequate to solve the problem. So I clear my afternoon get permission to leave work early, and 40 minutes before my appointment I get a call that it is not ready. I understand complications, but if you can't download and install software there is a serious problem with your business in my opinion.

So conclusions:

I will never use Concept 1 again. Instead of trying to solve the problem they were happier to shrug me off and tell me to go somewhere else.

If they can't install software and get the laptop working with their dyno I highly question their ability to work the dyno properly.

Finally if they can't install software, or operate a dyno I would not let them touch my car for an oil change let alone install parts.

I won't go there again and I would highly recomend others not to as well.

scat19
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
That's shitty bro. Time is money and getting off work early hinders this, especially with no notice.

I remember when my buddy bought suspension for his dub, and we installed everything and it was nice in the front but the rear was so high.

It turned out to be the wrong rear stuff, yet this was supposed to be brand new? wtf? They had mixed up stuff or used it beforehand or something.

cr-xbrian
03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
ive also heard the same things come from this shop, go down the street and go to there direct competition calgary autoworks, they have a awd dyno that they could do any tuning you will need. seriously give them a call.:thumbsup:

EDIT: btw these guys specialize in volkswagen/audi fyi

adidas
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Ive had problems with Concept 1 before, that is why i never recommend anyone to them. Ive give them more then enough chances to get things right and keep me as a customer but that seems to have gone straight down the shitter.

yellowsnow
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
yeah, that would piss me off too. taking time off work, only to have them call you <1 hour in advance is BS.

Lots of other dynos in town.

cr-xbrian
03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
the owner of calgary autoworks used to work at concept 1 lol.
shows theyve been up to the same quality of business for years.

Sugarphreak
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Team_Mclaren
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
solution:

buy (invest) your own dyno. :poosie:

Sugarphreak
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM

sr20s14zenki
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I always find Toma to be good, albeit hard to get ahold of sometimes, but when i do make an appointment he makes good of it for sure. He will tune/dyno anything and doesnt realy give a shit what it makes, altho its fun impressing him with what a nice 2L can do. He is used to seeing v8s make upwards of 800 hp, but he gets tickled when he sees an sr20det make 400+

94boosted
03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Shit this is discouraging. I really wanted to get a dyno run in this summer.

CSMRX7
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Well I don't really need the dyno numbers. I justed wanted to get some before and after numbers to document.

Just simple baseline dynos. All they gotta do is take my damn money lol.

Cody D
03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I would also like to say that Toma was good to me, I was definitely impressed with how well my car ran after he was done with it. I was running an AEM EMS on an Eclipse.

btimbit
03-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that sounds likes Concept 1. They sell good parts, but do bad work.

R-Audi
03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Yep, C1 is good for parts... and less then up to par for everything else.

Maybe Try Reigel Tuning Or Calgary Autoworks...

ConceptKen
03-20-2010, 04:06 PM
CSMRX7,

Someone sent me this link (thanks.)

I apologize for the hassles, I can see it put you out. I told you the truth about you being the first Dyno run of the year, as no one ever even asks about the Dyno during the winter months. I'm not sure we would be to keen on running it either (think; small rocks flying off winter tires...) . We had to switch laptops for the back this winter, and as I mentioned, the operating system was different. DynoJet sold us the Dyno in 2002, and the software is now a bit outdated. I tried to load it on our new laptop, but it was not connecting to the older hardware that came with the Dyno. Didn't work correctly, and I wasn't comfortable wasting you time to try it out. Regardless, we did try, and I apologize for the short notice on canceling on you.

As soon as I'm able to get it 100% I'd be happy to Dyno your car at no charge. If you have to get it done sooner, I understand. Let me know if we can take care of that for you, 403-287-8549

Ken
Concept-1

dj_rice
03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Trying to save face after 2 screw-ups, dunno if thats even commendable...I highly doubt he'll let you guys dyno even if its for free, I wouldnt even let you dyno my lawnmower for free

A790
03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Trying to save face after 2 screw-ups, dunno if thats even commendable...I highly doubt he'll let you guys dyno even if its for free, I wouldnt even let you dyno my lawnmower for free
Here's the thing: if a business fucks up and them DOESN'T try to save face/fix the problem the beyond mob burns them at a stake. Now, apparently, even if they DO come in and offer to fix the problem (for free, no less) you're still burning them at the stake.

That's not really fair. Life has complications sometimes, and the way it was handled by C1 definitely wasn't perfect, but at least he's owning up to it.

natejj
03-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by A790

Here's the thing: if a business fucks up and them DOESN'T try to save face/fix the problem the beyond mob burns them at a stake. Now, apparently, even if they DO come in and offer to fix the problem (for free, no less) you're still burning them at the stake.

That's not really fair. Life has complications sometimes, and the way it was handled by C1 definitely wasn't perfect, but at least he's owning up to it.

I agree, at least he's doing the right thing. A HELL of a lot more then 90% of the other businesses that get trashed on here. +1 to C1

R154
03-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Lawrence at Calgary AutoWorks > *

Forget C1.

94boosted
03-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by A790

Exactly! If they own up and are willing to rectify the problem that shows that they atleast are trying to be a good business.

dj_rice
03-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Exactly! If they own up and are willing to rectify the problem that shows that they atleast are trying to be a good business.

Good businesses don't let a situation happen where they have to save face is all I'm saying. But the ball is in the OP's court now, carry on

As the Chinese say, 2 wong's don't make a wight.

R154
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Dont be to concerned C1 wont even notice a single loss from this thread. 99% of active posters would never take their honda's there anyways.

The euro drivers that can afford to take their cars to a tuning shop arent swayed by such minimal issues.

Either way, Lawrence is a tuning god. And has built such a great reputation (and tuned many of my friends vehicles, and my own for that matter). He stands behind his products and his work. He is constantly training and getting better and better.

Lawrence, Regg, and Toma are all VERY good at what they do. But for bimmers Advantage: Lawrence, then Reg.

600rr
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by R154
Dont be to concerned C1 wont even notice a single loss from this thread. 99% of active posters would never take their honda's there anyways.

The euro drivers that can afford to take their cars to a tuning shop arent swayed by such minimal issues.

Either way, Lawrence is a tuning god. And has built such a great reputation (and tuned many of my friends vehicles, and my own for that matter). He stands behind his products and his work. He is constantly training and getting better and better.

Lawrence, Regg, and Toma are all VERY good at what they do. But for bimmers Advantage: Lawrence, then Reg.

Word...Lawrence does amazing work on many models/manufacturers of cars. Some CA cars are absolutly nuts!
:thumbsup: for Lawrence and Calgary Autoworks.

...Its also nice of C1 to chime in...

600rr
03-20-2010, 06:25 PM
woops dbl post

Wrinkly
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ConceptKen
CSMRX7,

Someone sent me this link (thanks.)

I apologize for the hassles, I can see it put you out. I told you the truth about you being the first Dyno run of the year, as no one ever even asks about the Dyno during the winter months. I'm not sure we would be to keen on running it either (think; small rocks flying off winter tires...) . We had to switch laptops for the back this winter, and as I mentioned, the operating system was different. DynoJet sold us the Dyno in 2002, and the software is now a bit outdated. I tried to load it on our new laptop, but it was not connecting to the older hardware that came with the Dyno. Didn't work correctly, and I wasn't comfortable wasting you time to try it out. Regardless, we did try, and I apologize for the short notice on canceling on you.

As soon as I'm able to get it 100% I'd be happy to Dyno your car at no charge. If you have to get it done sooner, I understand. Let me know if we can take care of that for you, 403-287-8549

Ken
Concept-1

^^ How to run a business! :thumbsup:

VWEvo
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I love how people on this thread think a good business never makes a mistake :rolleyes: Obviously none of these people have ever owned a business.

I used to deal with C1 a few years ago during my VW days. Ken, the owner, is an absolute stand up guy, and I'm glad he came on here and made a public apology. Jason, if you don't feel like ever going back there again, I would understand, but I don't think everyone on these forums should completely hang this business.

:thumbsup: to Ken for coming on here and clearing the air.

Volinder

Kloubek
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

Agreed. Some businesses do what they can to make ammends, and some don't give two shits. Obviously, Concept 1 is of the former. Props.

In the meantime, I personally had good success with getting my car Dyno'd at Autodream. Granted, they were already familar with the car, but they did get me in right away.

(This WAS during the middle of summer last year, mind you....)

Cody D
03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

Ya no doubt, what a great reply to this thread. Concept 1 didn't try to blame anyone, and offered compensation for the OP's time. Good stuff Ken.

Jlude
03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I love how people on this thread think a good business never makes a mistake :rolleyes: Obviously none of these people have ever owned a business.

I used to deal with C1 a few years ago during my VW days. Ken, the owner, is an absolute stand up guy, and I'm glad he came on here and made a public apology. Jason, if you don't feel like ever going back there again, I would understand, but I don't think everyone on these forums should completely hang this business.

:thumbsup: to Ken for coming on here and clearing the air.

Volinder

Originally posted by Kloubek

Agreed. Some businesses do what they can to make ammends, and some don't give two shits. Obviously, Concept 1 is of the former. Props.

In the meantime, I personally had good success with getting my car Dyno'd at Autodream. Granted, they were already familar with the car, but they did get me in right away.

(This WAS during the middle of summer last year, mind you....)

Originally posted by Cody D

Ya no doubt, what a great reply to this thread. Concept 1 didn't try to blame anyone, and offered compensation for the OP's time. Good stuff Ken.

:thumbsup:

Toma
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Shit happens. Especially with dyno's, both software and hardware. I've spent till 5 am Sunday working on my old machine so I could make a 9am Sunday appointment.

I've also bailed on guys last minute because of unexpected things that pop up. This stuff can be finicky. And it not like you get on site technical support being in Canada.

And I think Ken offering recourse is :thumbsup: Honestly, I cant say I woulda done the same. Dyno testing and modding cars IMO is a luxury. The only guys I would make such concessions to are ones that race at events, points meets, have sponsors, or do so as a living.

danno
03-21-2010, 12:21 AM
just to give a small:thumbsup: to C1, i took my gti for a service at the dealership and they updated by ecu. doing so deleted my apr chip, i was bummed but not mad so i called C1 and asked if they could put it back on. i thought there would be a charge for they're time but there wasn't, i still had the paper work showing i had got the chip done though.

i've had good things to say and bad things to say about them, but i still go there as i'm comfortable doing business with them.

CSMRX7
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Ken,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate that you are willing to make things right. If things are up and running soon I may still come in for the baseline.

VWEvo
03-21-2010, 10:17 AM
:clap: :clap:

SilverGS
03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
With companies coming on here lately and blaming the OP and making themselves look like idiots (i.e. The Right Price Auto). It's refreshing to see one that comes on here and say. "Sorry we screwed up but we are willing to make it right for you at our own expense"

:thumbsup: to a professional and mature attitude on both sides.

Aleks
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Ken's a great guy. When I had my GTI he didn't charge me for some work I thought I would have to pay for. :thumbsup:

If everyone stopped going to places after screwups no tuner shops would be in business. Stuff happens sometimes, it's part of the scene.

rage2
03-21-2010, 11:01 AM
OMG we didn't get sued! :rofl:

Props to C1. I wish more businesses understand that THIS is the right way to handling mistakes.

ekguy
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Very nice to see C1 owning up to it like this. If more businesses acted like this in Calgary then maybe it wouldn't be so hard to find good service in this city.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Concept 1

GTI1671
03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
CA> C1 after *someone* at C1 was totally clueless about the tuning programs, and when i asked for Stage2+ program, he just told me other shops bs about Stage2 as APR only makes Stage1 :facepalm:

Vdubbin
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Ken and his crew have always been good to me and I'm not one who spends a ton of cash there. Props to him for coming on to make this right.

Kona9
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Legitimate complaint with a legitimate rectification.

Anytime I need anything vehicle related, I am going to purchase what I need while wearing my Beyond Shirt. Soon enough it will be a symbol to not piss around as they will be on the intarwebz STAT!!!