PDA

View Full Version : Owners and fans of RHD imports and KEI in Quebec need your supports! SIGN PETITIONS!

keijidosha
03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Please, support the owners of right hand drive vehicles and KEI in Quebec by signing 2 online petitions!
These petitions are official and each will be read at the National Assembly of Québec on 15 April 2010, just a week before the minister of Transports of Quebec will take her final decision.

Petition 1: The access to public roads of vehicles equipped with right hand drive in Quebec, Canada

WHEREAS that access to public roads being forbidden in Quebec since April 29, 2009, for the majority of vehicles equipped with right hand drive, with the exception of 2500 vehicles registered before that date;

WHEREAS that this action is not one of the recommendations of the Quebec road safety committee (Table québécoise de la sécurité routière);

WHEREAS that European countries, Japan, the United States and Canadian provinces (except Quebec) have never deemed it necessary to prohibit the usage of vehicles equipped with a driving side opposite to their national standard;

WHEREAS that many new models, having the steering wheel on the left, are sold in Japan and in United Kingdom and that, despite the mixture of two driving positions, this does not affect their overall road safety;

WHEREAS that the recent SAAQ study does not take into account all the facts, and consequently, the accuracy of its conclusions are doubtful;

WHEREAS that the two government decrees, introduced without warning, have resulted in considerable financial harm to owners and importers of these kinds of vehicles;

We, the signers of this petition, are requesting the National Assembly of Québec to put pressure on the government to not place restrictions on imported vehicle, 15 years and older, equipped with right hand drive, and are requesting to take the time to examine any changes of this nature within the framework of a parliamentary committee.

Petition 2: The access to public roads of KEI ("light vehicles") in Quebec, Canada

WHEREAS, pursuant to Ministerial Decree 2009-15 of October 22, 2009, vehicles called "light", can no longer circulate, since December 27, 2009, on Quebec highways and any public road where the maximum speed allowed is over 70 km/h;

WHEREAS this restriction also applies to owners who purchased such a vehicle before the entry in force of the Ministerial Order;

WHEREAS there is no, in the Highway Safety Code (road safety regulations of Quebec), clear references that allow to determine the vehicles that do not offer enough protection for their occupants;

WHEREAS THAT some "light vehicles" meet safety standards for the protection of their occupants;

WHEREAS THAT the "light vehicles" offer more protection than motorcycles and mopeds;

WHEREAS the Minister of Transport has recently initiated a pilot project aimed at reducing the requirements of driving license for the three wheeled motorcycle "Spyder", produced by Bombardier.

WHEREAS vehicles classed as antique, that were not designed to meet standards of protection of their occupants, have no restriction to access the public roads;

We, the signers of this petition, are requesting the National Assembly of Québec to put pressure on the government to not place restrictions on the access to public roads of the «lignt vehicles», and are requesting to take the time to examine any changes of this nature within the framework of a parliamentary committee.

To sign these petitions, you must do four easy step:

Step 1: Click on the first link bellow and fill out the form that appears below the text in french of the petition and send the form.
You must accept the conditions to sign the petition (signing conditions) before sending the form.
Step 2: Consult your electronic mailbox and open the message sent by the Quebec Assembly website.
Step 3: In this message, click on the link enabling you to register your signature.
Step 4: Repeat step 1, 2 et 3 for the petition on the second link.

You cannot sign the same petition more than once.
Deadline for signing: April 13, 2010

Link petition 1: The access to public roads of vehicles equipped with right hand drive in Quebec, Canada (http://www.assnat.qc.ca/en/exprimez-votre-opinion/petition/Petition-139/index.html)

Link petition 2: The access to public roads of KEI ("light vehicles") in Quebec, Canada (http://www.assnat.qc.ca/en/exprimez-votre-opinion/petition/Petition-211/index.html)

We thank you for your support!!

Forum admin: please put this thread on sticky until April 13

HiTempguy1
03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Done and done. Took all of 5 seconds, hope they pull their heads out of their butts!

rizfarmer
03-19-2010, 09:17 PM
where do I sign in support of banning RHD?

kaput
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM

IRL
03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Agreed, finally on ban on these damn things...get them off our roads already! :clap:

banned3x
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
can a mod add "Beyond vote rigging'' to the title of this thread please. thx:thumbsup:

Kardon
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Damn those rust free jdms, rusty old 240s are the way to go!!

zipdoa
03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by IRL
Agreed, finally on ban on these damn things...get them off our roads already! :clap:

The last thing we need is another RHD pissing match :thumbsdow

Signed the petition - I would never buy a RHD but I am intelligent enough to understand that there are people OTHER than teenage ricers who find JDM useful and benefit from these vehicles .

Datsun-Fever
03-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Signed the petition - I would never buy a RHD but I am intelligent enough to understand that there are people OTHER than teenage ricers who find JDM useful and benefit from these vehicles .

You said it. signed and signed.

ekguy
03-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Go drive by the Centennial parking lot and try and say the same thing. Bunch of douchebags driving RHD cars like assholes...

Unfortunately the majority of RHD owners are going to be the douchey teenagers with rich parents...

Zewind
03-20-2010, 08:57 AM
*flame on* :facepalm:

dirtsniffer
03-20-2010, 10:26 AM
why does it need to me to confirm my email, fuuck that

rob the knob
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
no support

CUG
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Hmm, going to abstain. Nearly getting into a headon collision while I was riding my bike with one who was unable to pass safely on a two-way highway - no bueno. Fuck your RHD. Besides, seeing an nice car only to find out it's RHD is...disappointing. See: Supra, RX7 ect.

Wrinkly
03-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

Go drive by the Centennial parking lot and try and say the same thing. Bunch of douchebags driving RHD cars like assholes...

Unfortunately the majority of RHD owners are going to be the douchey teenagers with rich parents...

To be fair - douchebag driving has nothing to do with which side of the car the controls are located :D

cjay^
03-20-2010, 08:10 PM
I could care less if they banned RHD vehicles. Obviously a ban couldn't be retroactive unless the government is looking for a class action lawsuit.

Ban away - increase the re-sale value of my vehicle!

gam0s
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
ban it all,

MilanoRedTeg
03-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Please Ban, Thanks.

narou
03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Go buy a fucking Cavalier!

marcl
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
if they ban RHD cars... whats gonna happen to our poor mail men that drive there RHD trucks around...

this debate is stupid. instead of banning them why not just regulate the age group driving them and maybe even give a driving school to teach proper driving with them.

maybe while we are at it... we should teach everyone how to drive better too. how many times have you hit up the deerfoot doing 60 because the person in front of you cant get up to 100. how many times have you tried to merge only to have the person in the lane your trying to get into speed up and not let you in. maybe if his wheel was on the right he could see you better...

the debate shouldn't be about LHD vs RHD.. it should be good vs bad drivers. my driving test took 10 min.. maybe. Now according to our government i'm a pro driver. so take our shitty drivers test when your 16, than give him a car that has... 200-300 hp... no kidding the situation looks bad. give them a car that's 50hp and i'm sure he can find a way to crash it, or make it look bad. i know i did..

and for passing, turning left, pulling out. use some damn common sense! if its not safe don't go! the problem shouldn't be blamed on the car.. but blamed on the drivers. if the government paid more attention to the shitty driving schools and the half ass test you have to pass to get a license, im sure driving tragedy's would go down a ton! 5 hours of driving school sure wont teach u how to drive very well. and why are we so concerned with paralell parking.. when we should be teaching accident avoidance, and paying attention when we are driving. the system is screwed up and it seems they (the government) are trying to blame something that isnt really the problem.

i think the real problem is the economy thing. i talked to my importer buddy who has recently gotten out of it, and he has sent over 500k of cash down to japan. Thats ONE importer... imagine all of them and the amount of money Japan has made. but why would i spend my hard earned cash on a POS Alberta impreza that has had NO maintenance, is rusted on every bolt.. and is falling apart at the seems, when i can get a better car overall from japan, that has to pass a very serious inspection to become road worthy.. for close to the same amount of money.

my vote is RHD stays with tighter regulations placed on drivers. ALLLLL drivers, since everyday i seem to meet more and more that cant seem to find the 100kph mark on there speedometer while merging onto deerfoot.

Disoblige
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Signed both. :thumbsup:

silviak91
03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Signed both love my jdm :D

Toma
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey... Fucking Morons.

Yeah you! the ones that have something against RHD....

Blow it out your assholes and mind your fucking business. :drool:

Fucking useless droolers. :nut:

eglove
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
whoa whoa whoa, why do we care about quebec?

sr20s14zenki
03-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by eglove
whoa whoa whoa, why do we care about quebec? Because it will just start there, and start making a movement this way, thusly fucking things for us. You know how it works. Hey, yknow what? It doesnt matter where the steering wheel is, a douche driver is a douche driver. You can crash a honda civic just as easy as you can crash a skyline...its all dependent on how retarded the driver is. Other European countrys have NO problem with having left and right hand drive cars live in harmony....so what the fuck is our problem? Ill tell you, they train their drivers better, as mentioned. Retards dont get to drive (as easily) like they do here. Pull your heads out of your asses.

:D

CUG
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Hey... Fucking Morons.

Yeah you! the ones that have something against RHD....

Blow it out your assholes and mind your fucking business. :drool:

Fucking useless droolers. :nut: Or you can lick my balls. I'm not voting. Now because of Toma, not because of the other thing I posted.

Toma
03-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Or you can lick my balls. I'm not voting. Now because of Toma, not because of the other thing I posted.

Na douchebag... minding ones business is passive. Making you spit shine my shoes would be active.

Understand the difference with your limited intellect?

CUG
03-21-2010, 02:03 AM

Na douchebag... minding ones business is passive. Making you spit shine my shoes would be active.

Understand the difference with your limited intellect? This is me still not voting. Aside from that, my bag is hanging over the edge of my couch as I type this. You're welcome to come on by and spit shine those, and my asshole.

thetransporter
03-21-2010, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by narou
Go buy a fucking Cavalier!

your too late!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Toyota_cavalier_coup_japan_export.jpg

Tik-Tok
03-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by marcl
if they ban RHD cars... whats gonna happen to our poor mail men that drive there RHD trucks around...

They're going to drive LHD Ford Transit Connects.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/03/18/canada-post-to-purchase-ford-transit-connects.htm

gretz
03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
have any of you driven a RHD car? And the ol' POS-20-year-old JDM-car-beaten crap.... How is any LHD thats 20 years better?

Seems that the LHD drivers are upset because their new subaru, camaro, vette, mustang... are all getting spanked by "young punks" in sub $10000 cars. This makes RHD shit/dangerous because a car that just blew the doors off / out brakes / out handles a $40000 "not POS car" can not possibly be safe...

Oh, its RHD - well there is the answer.

A vehicle is a fuckin vehicle - you drive it the same no matter where you sit... the Mclaren F1 should be banned as well - POS center sitting garbage

scat19
03-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I am in support of banning RHD vehicles.

They are just not designed to be on our road system.

If you'd like to drive an RHD, go to the select places that utilize this type of road system.

Sugarphreak
03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

speedog
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by marcl
i think the real problem is the economy thing. i talked to my importer buddy who has recently gotten out of it, and he has sent over 500k of cash down to japan. Thats ONE importer... imagine all of them and the amount of money Japan has made. Don't fool yourself here - the money Japan has made on exporting used RHD vehicles to Canada is but a drop in the bucket when compared to the over $15,000,000,000 worth of exports Japan moved to Canada in 2006 (link for stats (http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ibi-iai.nsf/eng/bi18701.html))

sputnik
03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by scat19

If you'd like to drive an RHD, go to the select places that utilize this type of road system.

:werd:

texasnick
03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Voted :thumbsup:

I bought my RHD because, for the money, it's hard to find a better car. If I could have found an equivalent LHD car for the money I would have, but at the time it was the most car for the money that I could find.

I love it when people say all JDM cars are garbage and beat on. When you buy a car, whether it be JDM, ADM, UKDM, Canadian, American, whatever, you should CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PAY MONEY FOR IT. I see busted ass unsafe rustbuckets driving around everyday that are LHD......and I see the same with RHD. It's importing a car and paying for it without having ever seen it in person that gets most people in trouble, methinks.

I don't find driving a RHD on our roads much worse than driving a domestic vehicle. There are times, yes even in almighty LHD cars where you can't see oncoming traffic while making an unprotected left. There are times where you can't see far enough ahead on a 2 lane highway in a LHD to pass. As has been stated before, common sense goes a long way. If you can't see, don't go? Just a thought.

There are idiot drivers in every group of cars. 2 douchebags in a c32 amg tried to race me in my celica this weekend and proceed to do 160+ on Anderson when I wouldn't take the bait. It was a LHD Mercedes.

ercchry
03-22-2010, 11:23 AM

i fail to see your point.... imo anything with less then 30inch tires and a foot of gound clearance is not designed for calgary roadways.... yet people still buy sports cars... and life.... goes on? noe ways

Trini
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM

ignorance FTL

BTW signed

mx73someday
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
There are so few being imported and their numbers have been in decline since 2007, I don't see how they pose a big enough risk to be banned if you believe the alleged safety risks.

The most used cars imported from Japan to Canada was 5685 in 2007, not all of which were necessarily RHD. In 2009, only around 2500 were imported, again not all RHD.

hampstor
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
There are so few being imported and their numbers have been in decline since 2007, I don't see how they pose a big enough risk to be banned if you believe the alleged safety risks.

The most used cars imported from Japan to Canada was 5685 in 2007, not all of which were necessarily RHD. In 2009, only around 2500 were imported, again not all RHD.

Without researching why they're doing this ... i'm going to guess it's knee-jerk policy related to some incident. It's usually the best explanation for any new policies that make little sense (either because existing legislation already covers it or it seems to only focus on a niche).

People are myopic and place higher value in current events. Politicians know this and knee-jerk policies make people feel better regardless if the policy is relevant a month from now or not.

And no, I am not signing the petition.

Edit: im not signing the petition not because of my view of RHD, but because im against these go nowhere band-aid policies that waste time and money. This is something that needs to be reviewed at the federal level, not some chicken shit band-aid policy for only 1 province.

Toma
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Trini

ignorance FTL

BTW signed
Totally... another closed in myopic never left North America "expert".

What's your signature video from?

Artega
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Signed

Scope951
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
signed as well.

Trini
03-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Totally... another closed in myopic never left North America "expert".

What's your signature video from?

Collateral
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collateral_%28film%29

JustinGTP
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I would also like RHD vehicles banned in Canada.

A 2007 study by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia found that drivers of RHD vehicles used here in B.C. are more than 40% more likely to be involved in a crash than those using "normal" left hand drive (LHD) vehicles.

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/miscellaneous/right-hand-drive-vehicles-left-hand-drive-world

banned3x
03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Voted only because i want an afforadble supra i the future lol

Toma
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JustinGTP

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/miscellaneous/right-hand-drive-vehicles-left-hand-drive-world
Key piece of info is missing.

Did they compare the same age and demographic of drivers?

Did they compare sports cars to sports cars?

What does "involved" mean? Were they at fault?

They loosely reference a British study, but no details are given again as to circumstances, figures or at faults.

If the probability is higher. Who cares. It's probable wearing a spiked belt will get you hit by lightning 30% more often than wearing a leather belt during a thunderstorm. :dunno: :poosie:

speedog
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by banned3x
Voted only because i want an afforadble supra i the future lol If you don't live in the province of Quebec where this could become an issue, then explain how signing these petitions would affect the affordability of the Supra you want in the future?

ercchry
03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by speedog
If you don't live in the province of Quebec where this could become an issue, then explain how signing these petitions would affect the affordability of the Supra you want in the future?

have you heard of the snowball effect?

speedog
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
have you heard of the snowball effect? Doesn't always work that way though. You can't have more than 4 people sleeping in a hotel room in Quebec and I don't ever see that becoming an issue elsewhere. You're also in trouble if you put up non-French signs in Quebec and I don't see that becoming an issue in Alberta either.

Sign away if you wish on these Quebec petitions and believe if you want that it's going to stop something from happening here in Alberta, but I don't ever believe some of the nonsense shit that happens in Quebec would stand a "snowball's" chance in hell or Alberta for that matter.

mx73someday
03-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Take some time to review the study and the data sheets acquired by IVOAC.ca through the Freedom of Information Act yourself.

There are numerous problems with the data sheets, the biggest is that they didn't even bother identifying which vehicles in their records were actually RHD. They simply identify vehicles imported from Japan, many of which are also LHD. So any conclusions they draw from the study must be targeted against both LHD and RHD imported vehicles from Japan. To me this implies that the demographics of those who buy imported used vehicles vs. domestic-market used vehicles is different.

They make many other assumptions that make the conclusions worthless. They failed to compare the severity of the insurance claims the groups were involved in. Their conclusion should be "40% more likely to claim" than "40% more dangerous". Imported vehicles are more expensive to repair, therefore the import owners are more likely to claim for smaller incidents.

They only record the age of the policy holder, not necessarily the age of the actual driver involved in the incident. So if you have a large number of parents who are primary policy owners for their children, this will greatly alter the age comparison they made.

I could go on, but if you're interested there are many more arguments and evidence at IVOAC.ca.

If you want to impose moral decisions on people, you should at the very least be consistent. There are classes of vehicles that are more dangerous than RHDs. So if your goal is to make the roads safer why not start with the most dangerous classes? If RHD is not the most dangerous or populous class, then its clear that something else is motivating people to influence a ban.

Wrinkly
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM

This is interesting. I wonder though, how much of that "40% more likely to be involved in a crash" is due to the demographic of the individual behind the wheel.

Drivers from mainland Europe (LHD) drive across to the UK (RHD) for vacations etc all the time with little problem - and vice versa. I used to do this several times a year myself and never had an issue. I was inconvenienced though, for sure. Being stuck behind large, slow vehicles because you can't you see well enough to safely pass. Being on the wrong side for drive through anything is a pain in the ass. Being blinded by headlights designed for the opposite side of the road is annoying - though in Europe they have little black triangular stickers to use temporarily on headlight lenses to cut that glare. Intersections can be quite difficult (maybe this alone is reason enough for a ban, but I don't know - I'm on the fence to be honest).

gretz
03-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Concerns:

Being stuck behind large, slow vehicles because you can't see well enough to safely pass.
- how is it any different with a LHD? you pull farther over the line to see around a big truck anyhow.... I'd rather look down the shoulder line and see if its safe then pass than "peek" around any day of the week. Also (this is a big one people don't get), if you can't see - don't go :dunno:

Being on the wrong side for drive through anything is a pain in the ass.
-Yes, yes it is...

Being blinded by headlights designed for the opposite side of the road is annoying
-Never noticed an issue as the number of RHD cars compared to LHD cars with HIDs, as well as trucks (their lights always seem bright), doesn't seem like a major issue. I have yet to have a car go by, blinding me at night and thought to myself - f'n RHD headlights murmmmmmer.....

Intersections can be quite difficult
-once again, the crazy don't go if it isn't safe to proceed. You can't see, wait until its safe:dunno:

Once again, out of all the people bashing the RHD for being dangerous, how many of them have driven (not just around the block) one to find out they all knock, rattle, vibrate, shudder, cause road disasters?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Im not signing even though I own one. I like it but I wouldnt buy another one again I dont think, and I could care less if no more were allowed in, ill enjoy mine while I can.

HiTempguy1
03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Im not signing even though I own one. I like it but I wouldnt buy another one again I dont think, and I could care less if no more were allowed in, ill enjoy mine while I can.

:facepalm: