PDA

View Full Version : Insurance increase on damaging my car?

derpderp
03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Long story short.

If you call your agent and tell them you were in a accident but you didn't damage anything but your own car, can/will they increase your premiums?

ercchry
03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
yes

Zewind
03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Are you putting in Claim for repairs on your car?

derpderp
03-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
Are you putting in Claim for repairs on your car?

No, but it is a long story like I said, and I need to file a report in 48 hours if I decide to take issue to court, but I haven't decided everything yet and I didn't want to file a report just to get higher insurance rates even if I don't end up going to court over the issue.

derpderp
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Second question, if the police have filed a collision report and you fail to report the collision to your insurance agency can they find out that you were involved in a collision but failed to report it?

Zewind
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

No, but it is a long story like I said, and I need to file a report in 48 hours if I decide to take issue to court, but I haven't decided everything yet and I didn't want to file a report just to get higher insurance rates even if I don't end up going to court over the issue.

Check and see on your policy if you have an accident forgiveness. Alot depends on the insurance company you are with. Most of the time if they are not paying out, they are not going to care.

Second question, if the police have filed a collision report and you fail to report the collision to your insurance agency can they find out that you were involved in a collision but failed to report it?

Again refer to previous answered question.

bignerd
03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I would think police reports would be private... I have never heard of them going through police reports to match up accidents to their clients.

Masked Bandit
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Police reports have nothing to do with insurance. The only time there is interaction between the police and insurance is if the insurance company requests a copy of a collision report from the police.

Masked Bandit
03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
yes

Hey...have a little faith brother.

It all depends on your insurance broker / agent / provider. If you are through a bank / direct writer, then forget it. As soon as they catch wind of any kind of accident it most likely will end up on your record. However, a decent broker acts more like an advisor to you, the customer. I always review potential claims with my clients before the insurance company finds out anything.

FiveFreshFish
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Who's at fault?

Kloubek
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I agree that I do not think the cops would talk to your insurance.

With this said, I had a similiar instance. I was calling to get insurance, and happened to mention I tapped someone in a parking lot. While they did not raise my insurance (I don't think they can, based on unregistered info), they DID refuse to give me the accident forgiveness they would have otherwise offered me.

I then called back a month to insure another car, and they offered it, no problem. Obviously, it was not permanent record.

Moral of the story: An insurance company CAN hold something against you, even if it was not registered as an accident. With that said, I really think it is hit and miss, and who you talk to.

natejj
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Your rates will not automatically go up. At least in my experience...

I have been in 3 accidents. When I switched insurance companies, I told the guy I had been in one (only one has been serious) but it wasn't on my record because I paid for it out of pocket. He said "Oh ok, it won't affect your rates then". All he cared about was what was on my claims history.

cjay^
03-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I rear ended someone a year ago, but paid out of pocket because it was only $880 since I barely touched them. Never showed up on my claims history (obviously) and therefore doesn't effect my driver rating.

Hatchback Hero
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Long story short.

If you call your agent and tell them you were in a accident but you didn't damage anything but your own car, can/will they increase your premiums?

They can! Depends on the company. last insurance broker didn't have a problem charging me in such a manner. The one I am currently with does not drop the phat premium. It also depends what is written into your insurance history. I suggest you get a copy of that, so you can get it pardoned if need be.

It's a don't tell kinda policy with insurance companies.

derpderp
03-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Alright, thank you for the advice and information everyone :burnout:

bignerd
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Anytime you call your insurance to ask them anything about an accident that you may or MAY NOT of been in, it is always, always "hypothetically" speaking, or you were ONLY wondering....

Never tell them you were in an accident whether it was your own car or something you are paying out of pocket... they take note of it and can burn you for it.

psycoticclown
03-23-2010, 03:59 AM
If you were in an at-fault accident and it shows up on your claim record, is it advisable to change insurance companies? I've heard that even if you've been in an accident and it's on your history, switching companies can prevent the rate hike or reduce the amount your rate goes up by.

thepyrofish
03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

It all depends on your insurance broker / agent / provider. If you are through a bank / direct writer, then forget it. As soon as they catch wind of any kind of accident it most likely will end up on your record. However, a decent broker acts more like an advisor to you, the customer. I always review potential claims with my clients before the insurance company finds out anything.

You're one of the good guys. When I was a kid I rear ended a lady and caused nearly $1000 damage. She actually called my insurance broker and told her about the accident. I got a call that evening from my broker telling me that the damages would likely not be too bad and that I should settle up with this lady if possible. She went out of her way to help me not make a claim. I would have gone years without my own car if I had had to file through insurance.

ercchry
03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

haha, i have faith in YOU... but you are not the norm, and since he made this thread to begin with i figured he was not one of your clients :D