PDA

View Full Version : Mt Royal vs UofC gym which is right for me?

whiskas
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I live in downtown right now and am looking for a cheap gym that's only about 5 minute drive away. Mt. Royal and UofC seem to be the same distance away from me, so I'm trying to find out which is best.

I do alot of free weight training, so a gym with lots of squat racks, benches and floor space for deadlifts and snatches is what I'm looking for.

How busy are these gyms, I would probably be coming to them an hour before closing?

How does parking work at Mt Royal and UofC for their gyms. is the parking nearby and is it free in the evenings?

Hakkola
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
MRC has a much better weight room, it's newer, equipment in better shape and it isn't as busy as the shit-hole UofC gym.

Mt Royal Parking is also cheaper, and you may be able to get an evening parking pass, but not sure if that's reserved only for students.

Kobe
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
MRU eye candy is also a lot better!!

ChappedLips
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I can't speak for U of C but Mount Royal has a good gym and most of the stuff is fairly new. If you are going about 1 hour before close you shouldn't have a problem using any of the equipment.

Parking at that time wouldn't be an issue either, I don't even know if parking patrol comes around at that time so you might be able to just risk it without paying.

Weapon_R
03-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I can't speak for UofC but you could probably build a better gym by going to the Salvation Army stores and buying equipment there.

Oz-
03-20-2010, 11:53 PM
An alternate for you if you do lots of free weight training. Remingtons on Centre street and 16th ave might be an alternative.

dandia89
03-21-2010, 01:13 AM
i go to both gyms. mount royal parking is cheaper, and there are some places where you can park for free(you have to find them :P). gym atmosphere is so much better, its less crowded and most of the time i went, the squat racks were empty. i feel way more comfortable at the mount royal gym, and it looks way nicer. I suppose it's not that bad close to closing, but check out hte prices because mount royal is 100x better gym than u of c.

Thomas Gabriel
03-21-2010, 10:44 AM
U of C gym sucks for sure. Sait is worse. MRU has the best school gym in Calgary. The YMCAs top all of them. Crowfoot YMCA is really only 10 minutes further than U of C from downtown.

Godfuader
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
U of C gym sucks for sure. Sait is worse. MRU has the best school gym in Calgary. The YMCAs top all of them. Crowfoot YMCA is really only 10 minutes further than U of C from downtown.
You probably are invested in YMCA to suggest that Crowfoot YMCA is even remotely close to the quality of MRU. The gym at MRU is practically new, tons of equipment, no teens chillin with Ed Hardy gear, no fat seniors, etc.

wintonyk
03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
MRU gym probably one of the best gyms I have ever been too.

If you do alot of powerlifting moves too, they have bumper plates and olympic platforms (3)
Then 3 other power racks. Most the time you can just grab one and be set for your whole workout.

If you are going at 9 or 10 though, you share the entire gym with me and about 10 other people (mostly on cardio).

Prices seem pretty great too. I paid for 4 months when i first started. After that they offered me 10% off to pay for the year. So that was 450+tax. I like having access to the gyms, squash courts, rock climbing and swimming pool.

Not to mention, there is a ton of talent there.

I wouldn't even worry about parking in the evening either. I have yet to pay for parking in 6 months. I got my first ticket two weeks ago and that was when i went at 11 am

turbotrip
03-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

you must be smoking some potent rock to honestly believe YMCA's top them all

liquidboi69
03-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been to both schools. MRC has way more space, more square feet in their facility, less crowded, way cheaper parking, deadlift platform, same amount of squat racks. Dumbells dont go as high (100 vs 120) though.

I think the lifting population at UC are more knowledgable in terms of training . So if you are wanting to find workout partners that may be something to consider. But other than that, MRC all the way (I lift at UC because of the student status so that's saying something.)

gqmw
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

you must be smoking some potent rock to honestly believe YMCA's top them all

:rofl:

Clearly. I haven't been to MRU gym, so I can't comment on that. U of C gym is pretty meh, if you can find a workout facility close by that isn't a school, I say that's a better bet.

speeed
03-22-2010, 01:43 AM
If you do a lot of free weights, U of C gym is way too packed in the afternoon. So unless you're going to go early in the morning around 9 or 10 o' clock, you're going to find yourself waiting for dumbbells a lot

core_upt
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
As mentioned, MRU is newer and bigger than UofC. Parking is FREE on Lincoln Way after 6PM (3 minute walk to the Rec Centre), or you can buy a parking pass good for evenings/weekends for around $75 a semester.

The gym is manageable but busy after work, but around 8 or 9 it should be a ghost town. Weekends are slow there too. If you were to go after work, it is WAY easier to get to the UofC from downtown as Crowchild back up from the UofC to Glenmore.

MRU all the way!

toyboy88
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
On a side note, for people who use UofC, how busy is it around 6-7 on weekdays usually? Does it start to die down by that yet? I know it's usually packed around 330-5ish.

I usually go around 1230pm, just want to know if I'm better saving the trouble of going if it's packed still around 6-7.

TIA :)

dandia89
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
6-7 is a beauty. i think mondays/wednesday/fridays is the worst at 12pm. i used to go tues/wed and it wasnt that bad

turbotrip
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
On a side note, for people who use UofC, how busy is it around 6-7 on weekdays usually? Does it start to die down by that yet? I know it's usually packed around 330-5ish.

I usually go around 1230pm, just want to know if I'm better saving the trouble of going if it's packed still around 6-7.

TIA :)

i went yesterday night and it was still packed till about 9pm

princeaidin
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
U of C gym is brutal, I only go there because I'm a student there, its wayyyyyyyyyy to busy.

Talent is way better at MRU

Marsh
03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
What time does the MRU gym open at? is it busy at around 7 or 8 am?

Bizzareo
03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't mind U of C gym, I would probably go to WHC if U of C didn't cost me ~$35/semester.

InLoveWitRSX
03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I go to the U of C gym from 12-2 every mon/wed/fri and yes it does get really packed.. but I am usually still able to get my goals accomplished at that time.. except the squat racks are ALWAYS taken.

beecue
04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I went to U of C last summer because it was closer. I went during the afternoon and it always seemed packed. This year I'm sticking with MRU since I will only be going 3 times a week anyways. In case anyone doesn't know, you can get a 4 month pass to MRU for $83.45 with a valid student ID from anywhere.