PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Create a FDT section. (read inside)

GTS Jeff
12-04-2003, 11:58 AM
FDT-Frequently discussed topic.

From reading just today, Such topics as turbo vs. supercharged. That one has come up a lot, and the double clutching question has been discussed in great lenght in the past, but newb's come in and have the same questions and it starts it all over again.

I propose that a single section be created where topics such as this are placed so people dont ask the same questions over and over again.

Now i think it would work in such a fashion:
1 - Mod sees another redundant thread that has already been discussed, and moved it there so that this time is stays and newbs can see it and not have to ask the same thing.
2 - Once the mod posts it there members have free range to discuss the topic
3 - Reg. members cannot start a thread in this section, but if they notice a topic comming up again and again, they pm a mod and they can movie it.
4 - Everyone is happy and a wild party ensues.

So its like a FAQ area, but for topics that appear often.

A.S.

hooligan
12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
good idea again.

kenny
12-04-2003, 10:32 PM
I was already thinking of something along this lines except it wouldn't be a forum section but a separate section on our website that will showcase some of the really interesting discussions that we have had on our forums. Links would be provided to the threads so newer visitors to our site wont create newer threads.

ninjak84
12-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Maybe a "Got a question?" forum.
Have ones like "How does VTEC work?", and answer them in a reply.

DeSi
12-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

yeah the got a question one would be a good idea

gpomp
12-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Maybe an archive section?

kenny
12-06-2003, 03:48 AM
Just opening up this thread to suggestions on what some good frequently discussed topics are and if possible a few links to threads that contain some really interesting reading.

ninjak84
12-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Just opening up this thread to suggestions on what some good frequently discussed topics are and if possible a few links to threads that contain some really interesting reading.

"How does VTEC work?"
"What's the difference between auto and manual?"
"How much would it cost to import certain cars from Japan?"
"What's the difference between JDM and USDM?"
"What are the rules on certain traffic laws?"
"How can I fight a speeding ticket?"
"Which shops in town carry certain 'hard to find' items?"
"What body kit manufacturer's make good/bad kits?"
"Is polyurethane better than fibreglass for a body kit?"
"What is carbon fibre?"

There could also be some technical ones to help DIY folks (something like "How do I change my oil?").

hooligan
12-06-2003, 08:43 PM
^^^^ Nobody ever asks that shit.

WE don't need(or probly want" this forum to be all about the newbies. I thought it wa a forum for car enthusiasts(not, how do you drive a standard"forum.

People who come here and post shit like "how do I change my oil" are stupid IMO, There are already enough posts like "good crx engine" and stuff. I think we should frown apon people who ask questions that are easily answerable by a little research.

I would becareful what kinda "FDT" threads you create in a forum

ninjak84
12-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by hooligan

Are you sure?
http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=452681&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

GTS Jeff
12-06-2003, 10:52 PM

WE don't need(or probly want" this forum to be all about the newbies. I thought it wa a forum for car enthusiasts(not, how do you drive a standard"forum.

People who come here and post shit like "how do I change my oil" are stupid IMO, There are already enough posts like "good crx engine" and stuff. I think we should frown apon people who ask questions that are easily answerable by a little research.

I would becareful what kinda "FDT" threads you create in a forum u just havent been here long enough, newbie.

the whole point of creating a section like this is to deter newbies from posting shit that gets posted over and over again. how can we just "frown" upon making worthless threads unless we create a section to answer their questions?

besides, u arent in any position to reshape beyond into some elitist anti-newbie gestapo forum.

sandman
12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
thas actually a really good idea man
:thumbsup:

especially the spin off on it for a DIY section, like common problems in certain cars and rememdies maybe even too?

well, i guess that might wat the mechanical/tech section is there for

but things like vtec, turbo vs sc, etc, really good idea :thumbsup:

davidI
12-06-2003, 11:49 PM

Those questions are asked all the time.

I think an 'archives' section would be great or else a stickied FAQ in the more technical forums on here.

Dave P
12-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Thats a good idea, but who would answer the questions. With so many "pros" on this site, i think most question threads would resemble the "how many fourm members does it take to change a light bulb" deal

kenny
12-07-2003, 03:01 AM
The FDT section would essentially be a quick reference/archived search results page for the lazy newbie that wants his question answered, but is either too lazy to run a search or doesn't know that he/she has the ability to run a search to get the answer.

It would eliminate alot of common posts/threads that come up from time to time--assuming we give that section a high profile link.